Receptionist with learning difficulties

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Receptionist with learning difficulties
  • jamiesilo

at my doctor’s.
    is it just me or does this seem like not the ideal job?
    great that ahe has a job an all, but she can handle booking you a appointment and that’s it. i have more often needed something more complicated (in france, ao complicated paperwork etc) than i have appointments. every single time it is utterly hopeless.
    worse, when i do have an appointment it has been interrupted evry time because she isn’t able to do the deflecting people part so just passes the call through to the doc. so you have to sit there waiting while the doc tries to get off the phone to the old biddy/hyperchondriac.

today i went in because i have a tiny piece of tile lodged in my finger. the skin had healed over but there’s still something in there scratching against the bone. i just wanted to ask whether i should see the doc, go to AnE, or what?
    no chance she could tell me anything or thing, poor thing.
    god it’s frustrating
    just wanted to get that off my chest : )

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

i just wanted to ask whether i should see the doc, go to AnE, or what?

It’s not an Emergency if the wound has healed, not sure why you need a receptionist to work that one out for you.

sr0093193

Someone pass me the crayons we’ve got some stuff to explain!

Spin

People who live in glass houses…

ChunkyMTB

AnE, innit though!

Edukator

Great that the doctors have employed the lady.

Complicated paperwork? Hand over Carte Vitale, put credit card in machine, type PIN.

Not happy with the service? Just change to any doctor you want (who will have you). Perfect.

MarkBrewer

Maybe your doctor hates you and she’s actually really intelligent but the doctor has told her to try and annoy you so you go somewhere else!

mattyfez

News flash. Receptionists aren’t qualified nurses, or indeed doctors.

andyl

Struggling to believe that someone would have the nerve to post something like this.

So OP, what job should someone with “learning difficulties” do? Maybe they could get a job correcting your typing as it needs someone to fix it.

Premier Icon rickon
    Subscriber

today i went in because i have a tiny piece of tile lodged in my finger. the skin had healed over but there’s still something in there scratching against the bone. i just wanted to ask whether i should see the doc, go to AnE, or what?

Surely that’s for NHS Direct, rather than a receptionist? Even if she didn’t have learning difficulties, I don’t think she’d be qualified to give that advice.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Surely that’s for NHS Direct, rather than a receptionist?

Le NHS  Direct

Premier Icon allthegear
    Subscriber

What’s the French for irony?

Rachel

mattyfez

If laying tiles, you’d surely have access to a Stanley knife.

Stiff drink and dig it out. Although it will probably work it’s way out anyway.

nealglover

What you have done there, is expect a receptionist to do the job of a doctor 🙄

Your problem is not understanding the role of a receptionist in a doctors surgery.
    Maybe work that out first before you decide who should be allowed to do it.

nealglover

What’s the French for irony?

Disappointingly …. ironie 😉

wrightyson

What you have done there, is expect a receptionist to do the job of a doctor 

You should change to my doctors as the receptionists think they are qualified doctors….

Pity op isn’t in Germany as we could ask what was the German for Schadenfreude?.

Premier Icon tomd
    Subscriber

You asked a receptionist for medical advice (i.e. go to A&E, wait for doc etc). You are upset that they followed their training and failed to provide it to you. There is a noble tradition of busy body doctor’s receptionists dishing all sorts, but they’re not meant to.

My mum was a practice manager up until she retired. The bain of her life was idiot receptionists dishing out medical advice, not looking after confidential info (as in shouting out across the waiting room “Syphilis clinic now in room 3, I repeat…” or gossiping about Mrs Miggins ), not turning up or conducting physcological warfare against other receptionists.

I’m going out on a limb here but if the lady you describe is able to function as a doctor’s reception she must be able to be responsible for sensitive information, turn up every day and take appointments and sort files. So despite any disability you may perceive she is highly function, probably more so than a good chunk of the population.

Take your ableism and GTF.

jamiesilo

ok fair enough everyone, i’m not expecting her to be a doctor. but i would like to be ask how long till the next available appointment.

i really wanted to ask if it’s unreasonable of me to find it frustrating.
    or should i just lump it and accept that she has a right to a job?
    your all going to say yes, evidently.

andyl, i don’t know what job. do you?
    why put learning difficulties in inverted commas?
    typing was on a small smart phone.

edukator, it’s not always Hand over Carte Vitale, put credit card in machine, type PIN. and it’s the doctor who does that part.

you don’t need to be a nurse or doctor to understand the how the health system works. the receptionists at my dentist are super knowledgable about the bureaucracy side for example. which is not that complex until it goes wrong, which it does often.

finally, it doesn’t seem that appropriate to equate my bad spelling, or perceived stupidity for having a somethign lodged in my finger, or allegedly not understanding the difference between a receptionist and a doctor, with learnign difficulties.

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

The plot thickens! Now the doctor has learning difficulties too.

gobuchul

Is this a piss take?

cheekyboy

Can you not get the tile out of your finger ? What if it rubs away at your bones ? You won’t be able to blame the poor receptionist then eh !!!!

jamiesilo

oh bloody heck. never mind. i retract myself

OP is Peter Griffin

sepultura

oh bloody heck. never mind. i retract myself

Try retracting the bit of tile first, it started the whole thing afterall.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Lordy. There are definitely places on the internet where you can have a rant about stuff like this.
    How could anyone possibly think Singletrackbleedinworld is the place?! Nutter.

poah

The plot thickens! Now the doctor has learning difficulties too

met a few of those in my time lol

nealglover

finally, it doesn’t seem that appropriate to equate my……allegedly not understanding the difference between a receptionist and a doctor, with learnign difficulties.

No it isn’t appropriate, it is an appropriate way to make you realise how ridiculous your criticism of the receptionist is though.

iolo

Troll OP is an idiot.

sarawak

Weather has turned bad again. Snowflake alert.

IME, receptionists at GP surgeries are a real menace to society.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Receptionist sounds brilliant, I’m fairly sure the job of the receptionists here is to stop anyone ever getting an appointment, with detailed interrogation of the exact reason for your wanting one and a multi-stage interview process required!

jamiesilo

i do retract my first post.
    i re-read it and i sound like a nob
    was frustrated but was an odd way to express it.
    and made me sound like some sort of biggot guy that i’m not.

for the record, i wasn’t meaning to criticise the receptionist, but maybe the medical practice.
    i wasn’t expecting medical advice from her, but i did want to ask someone from the health system what route to follow, and hoped that by going to my doctors surgery i might be able to.

this morning i went back and booked an appointment with a doctor.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

thanks for the update – a bit of reflection is a good thing, usually, and chapeau for coming back on here to admit it.

OP,you’ll never get to be a big hitter by apologizing .

fossy

Random internet advice…

Get a pin and dig it out, or are you now a soft Frenchie 🙂

tjagain

thanks for the update – a bit of reflection is a good thing, usually, and chapeau for coming back on here to admit it.

+1

Respect to the OP & nice way to put it, wwaswas.

pondo

Got a lot of time for GP receptionists, people honk about them but imagine spending your working life dealing with folks demanding a doctor (and they do demand) for little Tiffany’s cough or their piles issue or those meds you need NOW! when you know there are, say, six people in front of you significantly more likely to die from their affliction than you.

All day.

Every. Single. Day.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.