• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Recent update to Samsung phones?
  • PJay
    Free Member

Yesterday my wife was happily texting away on her Samsung A2 when the phone spontaneously rebooted. It took several minutes to fire up and then proceeded through the ‘first use’ start up menus requiring wi-fi and account usernames/passwords; it appeared to have done a factory reset and cleared all phone (non-SD) memory.

Once re-connected to the Samsung and Android accounts it spent the next 30 minutes or so retrieving data and apps (presumably backed up to Samsung and Google previously) and eventually we seemed to get back to where we were prior to the re-boot. However, my Wife has lost a lot of important work data that was stored in the Samsung Secure Folder app, which doesn’t appear to have been synced/backed up to her Samsung account, and we haven’t been able to retrieve it.

The O2 shop where my Wife bought the phone weren’t much help (they’re much more helpful when they’re trying to screw money out of you) and insisted that it was nothing to do with them and that the phone (which is about a year old) was fine and it was almost certainly Samsung updating the phone software and/or Android.

I’m pretty sure that it wasn’t an Android update as the usual little green robot was absent.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar lately and would Samsung launch a major, data-clearing update without warning; I’m being to suspect that the phone may be dodgy?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My tablet got an update last week that failed and had a couple of attempts to install, don’t use the secure folder though

willej

My S7 got the Android Oreo update last week, don’t seem to have lost anything but I too don’t use the secure folder.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

Sounds like a major crash.  That happens sometimes on devices like phones etc, in my experience.  It wouldn’t be an update – Android lets you know when you have an update pending AFAIK.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So does Samsung unless you turned everything off though it might have an update overnight setting somewhere

Cougar

Not one I’ve come across before.  It sounds more like a fault than any sort of intentional update to me.

Whether the phone is physically faulty or it was a software issue is hard to say.  Could’ve been a malware infection even.

Restoring the Secure Folder

If it wasn’t backed up and the data has been lost in a factory reset then the chances of you recovering it are zero I’m afraid.  Clue’s in the name.

PJay
    Free Member

Um, sounds like a crash then. Thanks for the link to the Secure Folder recovery Cougar, we’ll have a look but I suspect that the data is goosed!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Recent update to Samsung phones?’ is closed to new replies.