• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by ahsat.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Reccomend my wife a trail bike
  • Shackleton

My wife is starting to ride harder but feels that her 5 year old Whyte t-129s is holding her back on the downhills. We have spent the summer doing many of the easier enduro trails in Scotland (Golfie, Dunkeld, Ballater, etc) and I’m inclined to agree.

So, what would people throw into the ring for a confidence inspiring 29er bike for trails/lighter enduro riding that also go uphill with minimum fuss? I have my own ideas but other opinions always helpful. She is 5ft7, long legs, short arms, 9st kitted up and not massively strong in the arms. Can be frame only or complete.

Tracey

New or used. Price ?

Shackleton

Looking to long list at the moment so no boundaries!

Should probably add that she ain’t a hucker so big drops aren’t on the cards but being able to soak up rock gardens is a must.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevextc
    Free Member

Usual caveat is always try first when you can …

I’d certainly say she should try a AM9 in M.

Then there are a whole rake of usual suspects depending of prce/prefecence/frame only or complete

stevextc
    Free Member

Looking to long list at the moment so no boundaries!

When are you planning to buy? [as in availability at the moment]

mashr

Does she like the Whyte? If so, S150 would be the obvious step up

mattvanders
    Free Member

Transition scout or nukeproof reactor for more of a trail bike feel but good geometry?

zerocool

A new whyte, Calibre Triple B or Bossnut abs make a few upgrades.
    All depends on your budget and how much she’s going to use it.

My wife is currently riding a Triple B because she sold her top of the range Capra when she was pregnant and wanted something cheap that rode really well becaus e we’re just not going to get to use it very often and she didn’t a £2k-3k bike sitting in the garage gathering dust.
    It rides really well for the short trail centre stuff we manage to scrape time to do

danti

Vitus Mythique

GolfChick
    Free Member

As she’s the same height and ‘almost’ weight as me I would suggest trying to go as light as possible especially in the wheels as I find this makes a big difference. Try and get something with as light a tune as possible in the shock and consider the forks as well because again that’s where I struggle to get the compliance needed for my weight.

mutepoint
    Free Member

Deffo Ibis with the Roxy tune

vicksplace

New Liv intrigue 29er?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Stumpy expert is what mine got.

Likes it loads. But she’s a spec fangurl, so no surprise there.

BigR

Does it need to be a 29er? My wife loves her Canyon Spectral. She is a couple of inches shorter but similar proportions. She is much happier on steeper stuff. My daughter also loves it and prefers it to her Julianna Furtado. She was however very lucky in being able to demo a variety of bikes and the Canyon was ‘just right’ for her.

bowglie

My OH had a Cotic RocketMAX and really loved it. She reckons it was the most confidence inspiring bike she’d owned (& she’s owned a few!!). The Cotic was stolen last year and she ended up using the insurance money to get a Trek Rail, which is the ‘e’ version of the 2020 Trek Slash. She’s comfortable tackling much trickier terrain than she’s ever attempted riding before – even on the Cotic.

I just put this down to the extra weight and chubby tyres on the Rail, but I rode it quite a lot while waiting for my insurance replacement. Having tried a Trek Slash as well, I think more of the confidence comes down to the geometry – its really good! For the high level of confidence and capability on steep and rough stuff, it’s still feels nimble and easy to navigate through technical terrain. Feels perfect for off-piste stuff at GT and Inners. On slippy twisty trails like ‘mud and roots’ at GT, it’s in a different league to my old RocketMAX.

I liked the Rail and Slash so much I ended up getting a Rail. Still missed my analog bike so bought a budget 2020 Fuel EX for a contrast. The geometry of the EX is also fantastic and very confident on steep stuff. However, for what your OH is looking for, I reckon a 2019/2020 Slash would probs be better. If you’re lucky and not in a rush, you might be able to find someone who’s changing their ‘old’ Slash for the new 2021 model – if you can get a carbon frame version, they are ace😋

FWIW, my OH is just under 5’10” with 33” inseam and she’s riding a large Trek Rail with 50mm stem (& I reckon she could get away with a 40mm stem for steeper trails).

HTH

MartynS

Bird Aether 9c….

mrhoppy

Mrs Hoppy went from a T-129 to a Trek fuel-ex. It’s made a significant difference in her riding confidence and capability.

bails

If she’s already got a Whyte what about an S120? I moved to one from a Yeti ASR5 and it certainly meets the “confidence inspiring” brief. If she needs more travel then the S150 is an option too.

frogstomp

Santa Cruz Tallboy?

😜

ahsat

Mrs Hoppy went from a T-129 to a Trek fuel-ex.

I had a Trek Fuel (a while ago) and didn’t like it’s pedalling style. I then had a Nicolai that I picked up cheap, but the biggest difference to me was my Banshee Spitfire. My riding is like night and day and I preferred the much more stable pedalling compared to the Trek. It really does come down to preference e.g. I don’t really like an active back end under pedalling.

Also fit – women’s leg:torso ratio are different and as Golf Chick says, weight is important too.

However, all that said, if I replace the Banshee I will seriously look at Juliana. I am a bigger than your wife so I can easily ride ‘men’s’ bikes but I think Juliana absolutely excel at making really good women’s specific bikes that don’t feel like a compromise. I realise though not cheap!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Reccomend my wife a trail bike’ is closed to new replies.