Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Reccomend me some sun screen that stays on while biking
  • tall_martin

Hi,

I was burned 3 times last week while riding. Thats with factor 50 sports waterproof sunscreen on at the start of the ride and factor 20 applied once or twice during the ride.

Problems- I sweat like mad and wipe the sweat off my face with gloves.

I’ve been using this stuff Banana boat factor 50

Any recommendations?

Cheers

Martin

MSP

Riemens p20 or ultrasun.

Everyone will recommend p20 and I used to swear by it, but I now find ultrasun is even better. They both work the same way, liquids that soak into the skin and bond with it, rather than sitting on the surface.

Phil_H

P20 applied first thing in the morning seems to work for me & I sweat bucket loads.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The banana boat stuff is fantastic and what we used for sailing in Singapore, it doesn’t get much hotter, sweatier or the sun stronger than 100 miles from the equator – so if that’s not working then I am at a little bit of a loss. I didn’t get on with P20 but you could give it a try, you apply it 30 mins before you go out and it lasts very well.

Your other alternative is to ride with dark glasses which cover a decent amount of your face and a neck buff pulled up “cowboy style” over your chin.

Nobby

Another vote for P20 here.

Kryton57

Banana baot is an “oil” based product, so unless your skin is the right constitution, youo could be cooking yourself. Try a product with a different base.

Having said that, I use Banaa Boat in the Carribean, and it works fine. I use it in the UK and I burn.

For riding I use Nivea (don’t laugh) kids spray. It has high UV and water resistance. Once application and ride all day for me…..

tinsy
    Free Member

Hijack, I love that P20 stuff, but does it burn anyone elses eyes to bits? Should I not put it in my eyes?

Onzadog
    Free Member

P20 here as well and I’m a sweaty minger

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

doesn’t P20 not block one of the UVs as well, whereas Ultrasun does both?

Something like that anyway, I have seen more reports of P20 not working for people.

mildred

P20 works for me.

sam_underhill

+1 P20.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Boots own Soltan Once.

It blocks a much broader spectrum of UV, ie does its job better.

I use factor 40 (I’m naturally pasty white), applied once in the morning, and then cycle all day. I’m still pasty white at the end of the day, so seems to work well.

Only down side is that it does show a bit, especially if you put lots on.

Cheaper as chips (for a sun block) too, and two for one at the moment.

Speshpaul

Not use P20, so no comment
    but as a big sweaty ginger i can recommend Piz Buin.
    http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Brands-A-to-Z/Piz-Buin

theotherjonv

P20 is good but not everyone gets on with it.

[professional hat on]

look on the ingredient labelling on the back. The higher up the listing, the higher the level used (they are all in order). You need to find the waterproofing polymers, look for VP-Eicosene, VP-Triacontanyl, see which appear near the top and they should have higher waterproofing character. But it is a trade off, they do feel more greasy typically, and of course if you rub your face constantly then you will end up just rubbing it off.

chrismac

ANother vote for P20 herer

peaks
    Free Member

Piz Buin one day long gets my vote.

Stick it on half hour before you leave the house, it’s not sticky after that half hour and you can’t rub it off. Fully waterproof and sweat proof and lasts up to 8 hours.

I used factor 15 in Mozambique last year, after 2 weeks in the blazing sun (including swimming in the sea without need for reapplication) absolutely no burn in over 40 degree heat (I can go pink even in the british “summer” at times) Last but one day wanted a tan, didn’t put it on as thought i hadnt burnt yet, the sun must not be too strong here – within half an hour burnt to a crisp, even a lobster looked pale next to me!

Silly lesson learnt and a very big positive vote for Piz Buin one day long

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Reccomend me some sun screen that stays on while biking’ is closed to new replies.