Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Reccomend me some new cycling shoes
  • tall_martin

Hi,

I’m after some new cycling shoes as the sole and upper started to separate on the current ones 30 miles into a 120 mile ride.

I have loved these

because they are light, fit and don’t have a huge number of vents so when riding through a puddle my feet don’t get soaked immediately.

They did rub my heels something cronic when walking for more than 5 min.

Any suggestions?

matt_outandabout

For similar reasons – Shimano M086’s are proving tough, not too let-in-watery and really comfy.
    Not sure what the new model is and hopefully it won’t be in bling.

Carron Valley by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

mduncombe
    Free Member

Just bought some of these from Wiggle, very pleased so far, cant comment on longevity yet but the sole is nice and stiff for around 80 quid. Dont look out of place on my road bike either.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Stoner
    Free Member

I keep getting Spesh BG Comps. They fit me superbly (and I have big wide feet size 12+ feet), but they are quite vented so you do get wet straight away.

tall_martin

Thats what has put me off just buying another pair of specialized, the large vents.

There are probably only one or two rides a year where my feet get too hot, but loads where they get soaked.

Alex

Spesh BGs here. Also have a set for the road bike will funny cleats. Tried a few, but keep coming back to the BG Comps. Wide feet like Stoner up there although mine are of ‘human’ length 😉

For a bit of ankle support, Shimano AM51s are great. Less venting than the BG so okay with a waterproof sock if it’s not super wet.

d45yth
    Free Member

Have you seen the Mavic Scree’s? Not a cheap option, but could be what you’re looking for if you prefer a boot. It’s a shame they don’t do the Alpine XL in black too.

I’d always used the Shimano AM51’s, but have got sick of them splitting behind the toebox. I liked them because of the mesh and lack of padding…if they did get wet, it meant they soon dried out.

tall_martin

I like to look of the scree’s. I have the shimano winter boot the mn80. If i wear that with shorts and go through a load of puddles the water runs down my leg into them and they fill with water. Great with water proof trousers, like buckets with out.

Are the screes any better?

waller
    Free Member

I’d recommend Giro. Comfiest cycling shoes I’ve ever had. Obviously subjective regarding comfort but these still look in great condition after 2 years heavy use computing to work and offroad twice a week.

mactheknife

I have the screes, they are more a spring / autumn type boot with goretex liner. So far i’m absolutely loving them. Keep my feet dry, warm but not too warm.

Yep they are pricey but they are great bits of kit. They wont stop water going down the top though. They are not designed as a fully waterproof boot.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Sidi dominator, best I’ve ever used

tall_martin

Any other suggestions?

mickolas
    Free Member

+1 on the mo86s. over a year of daily use on 32 mile round trip. no stretching, no cracking, velcro intact and the stench doesn’t quite strip the wallpaper yet.

FOG

I too like my Spesh BGs but they don’t seem to be lasting very long.
    Looking very scuffed and the sole seems to be ready to part company with the uppers after one summer season. OK last year’s summer was like somebodyelse’s winter but they shouldn’t get so worn so quickly.

BadlyWiredDog

If you like Spesh shoes and want more weather protection, maybe take a look at the Defroster. I haven’t used the latest version, but the earlier one is more of a year-round weather-resistant take on the Trail 110s than a full winter boot. Good for a lot of UK riding.

That said, I got tired of Specialized sole units, most notably the 110s, falling apart on me and went over to Mavic shoes which not only grip better, but also seem to stay in one piece.

clubber
    Free Member

Shimano XC50N – I got a pair under warranty (for a different model) and wasn’t very pleased (as they were a lower range model) but they’re actually great – waterproof until water comes over the top(!) and despite that I’ve riddent them in 35 degree heat without any problems.

tall_martin

Cheers for all the suggestions, I went for a pair of M088’s from Merlin, £60 instead of £80 everywhere else. Fits good, look like they will last and I’m going to stick some gaffa tape over the vents.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Reccomend me some new cycling shoes’ is closed to new replies.