Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Reccomend me a rear shock please!
  • tall_martin

Hi,

I've duffed the air valve on my current shock and I fancy using this as an excuse to buy something different.

Its for a 2005 giant reign so it can't be a piggy back shock as they won't fit in the frame. I tend to ride this at trail centers, on occasional days out in the peak district and the odd downhill day at cannock, fort william and cwam carn.

It currently has a manitou swinger 3 way in it 200x50mm and I also have a coil fox vanilla 200x57mm. The fox is great for downhilling but it bobs like crazy on the ups.

I fancy trying a 190x50mm shock to slacken the head angle off and lower the bottom bracket.

What second hand shock would you recommend?

Martin

z1ppy

Fox RP2 or RP23 would always be my first choice, but I'd consider getting the Van tuned, pretty sure they could do something about the bob (though this doesn't fufill your angle/BB changes).

tall_martin

I thought about getting the vanilla tuned but at about £90 I thought it would be cool to keep it for downhilling and buy another shock.

What is the difference between the RP2 and RP23?

z1ppy

IIRC RP2 is either Pro-pedal on or off, RP23 is three pro-pedal setting or off.
    My problem with 2nd hand shocks is that really they probably need a proper service anyway.

dannyboy
    Free Member

This may be of interest – Fox Float R – know it's not an RP2/23 but has pro-pedal and is brand new in the box…

tall_martin

Zippy, its always a thought, but the 2nd hand forks I've bought of folk on here have always been as described so I'll go for one that hasn't had a great deal of use.

Is there a difference in the RP2 and RP23 other than adjustability? Is an RP2 going to need less care due to less adjustments?

Danny, can you turn off or adjust the propedal on the float r? I'm interested if you can:)

Cheers

dannyboy
    Free Member

The RP23 just gives you an extra 3 settings of propedal over the RP2 which is just off an on, no real difference otherwise.

The Float R pro-pedal is factory set, no adjustment other than the rebound damping.

z1ppy

hmm but most forks can be normally be self serviced at worst, the nitrogen damping on a fox shock has to be done by a service centre.
    Dunno I am a pessimist…

RP2/23 nope, just the PP adjustablility – they still need the same service interval/care, there no extra charge at service time because it's an RP23.

FLoat R is pro-pedal all the time, though I've never really turned the PP off on my RP23's… Danny's seems a decent price and you could always try it and sell it again if you hated it…

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Get the coil custom tuned. It'll just be better all round.

Ewan
    Free Member

I have a monarch 3.1 on my nomad – very impressed. Heats up a bit on very long alpine descents (think 10k descents on rough ground at speed), but still works ok even then. On normal stuff it's as good as my DHX 5 coil.

jambon
    Free Member

I have an RP3, a Manitou Swinger (the original one) and a Van R. The Van R is definitely the best, but I only use it for Downhilling – too heavy for peadalling. Got Tim Flooks to tune it – not enough rebound for me, though. May be something to do with living in Spain where it's HOT and the oil being too low in weight though. Can't say that there's much bob, to be honest, so maybe getting TFT to tune it will be your best, and cheapest outcome? The RP3 has no discernible difference betwen any of the 4 settings but is less 'mushy' than the Manitou. On a 2005 Reign, that is. Oh, yeah, most people complain that the Float R has too much pro-pedal as standard so That could end up costing…

epicsteve
    Free Member

I'm using one of the pro-pedal Vanillas on my Enduro and it's not noticeably bobbier then the RP2 I also have. Both seem very good, but despite the weight I tend to stick with the Vanilla as the bike just rides so well with it fitted.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Reccomend me a rear shock please!’ is closed to new replies.