Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • reccomend me a bike bag
  • kilo

Mrs Kilo and I are taking the bikes abroad this year for a three day “race” and after recommendations for bike bags, Large Giant trance and a medium ibis and will probably be on BA long haul to RSA if that makes any difference to how battered / stolen the bikes will get.

wingnuts

I’ve had several over the years and the EVOC I have now is by far the best. Wheels to pull through the airport and good padding to protect the bike. I’ve had road and a 29er hardtail in it.

Not cheap, but I got mine in the Netherlands and paid in Euros what you pay in pounds here. Have you thought about renting if you’re not going to use it other than on the trip?

jamesr
    Free Member

Plus one for Evoc. Great, clever design.

kimbers

bags with wheels are very useful, only need one corner but it definately helps

kilo

Thank for that, the evoc does look nice, hiring is a possibility, you’re right it’s a lot of cash for a one off

wheelz
    Free Member

I’ve had loads of bike bags, most of which lasted one or two trips thanks to heavy handed baggage handlers. After the strap was ripped off the last one I bought one of the Evoc bags. i should have done it sooner.

Easy to pack, much easier than the top loading bag and it takes a Large DH bike with space to spare. The wheels go in separate pockets on the outside of the bag, so the axles can’t scratch the frame.

The wheels make it easy to pull around – even when you travel to the airport by bus.

Wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them, even if they are a bit pricey.

Evoc Bike Bag

Trimix
    Free Member

I cant recommend a bag. They are not that tough and very expensive.

Go to your LBS and get a free box that a bike came it. They are free, big enough to put a bike in and they only need to last one trip.

Since these are what bikes are shipped in they work fine – given its free you can drag the dam thing along the airport carpark without a care in the world.

Ive done this several times and the LBS was very happy to give them away.

wingnuts

I’ve used boxes before but whilst they’re good value the EVOC in use is just so much less hassle. Where are you and when do you need it? Might be able to get one for you when I go to Holland next couple of months. It saves you about £40 on what you pay here.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Trimix – Member
    I cant recommend a bag. They are not that tough and very expensive.

Go to your LBS and get a free box that a bike came it. They are free, big enough to put a bike in and they only need to last one trip.

Since these are what bikes are shipped in they work fine – given its free you can drag the dam thing along the airport carpark without a care in the world.

Ive done this several times and the LBS was very happy to give them away.

Which is a great idea until your bike lies out in the baggage cart for half an hour before the flight in the pissing rain. Good luck with that.

simonbowns
    Free Member

Where are you based? We’ve got 2 EVOC bike bags to hire…

kilo

simonbowns – Member

Where are you based? We’ve got 2 EVOC bike bags to hire…

South west London

simonbowns
    Free Member

hehe – Peak District. We can Fedex, but it’s rather a lot!

BoardinBob

CRC bag. Wrap it in one of those CTC polythene bags

Kryton57

I bought this last week.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20604

It’s for putting the road bike in the car, so I can’t comment on the travelling far aspect but for £50, it has internal pockets, wheels on the bottom and feels pretty tough. Enough room to put the wheel bags other sidle of the frame.

dirtydog
    Free Member

CRC bags are OK just make sure you remove the shoulder straps before passing it over the the luggage handlers otherwise they’ll use them to rip the sides off.

Decent bags as long as you unclip the shoulder straps!

jonkineticcycles
    Free Member

We sell/hire Evoc bags too – Kinetic Cycles in Hertfordshire – email in profile if its any help

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Box and plastic wrap. Especially for a 1 off trip. However some shops do hire them but beware of the bag weight some of the plastic boxes will eat your allowance

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘reccomend me a bike bag’ is closed to new replies.