• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • rebuilding old carbon rims onto new hub
  • DT78
    Free Member

have older light bicycle rims which I like, unfortunately I built them onto chris king’s and now new bike has boost. is there likely to be any major issues with build them k to a new hub like a 240?

bigyan
    Free Member

No issues, just de tension the spokes, dont cut them whilst they are still tight.

frogstomp

If you want to stick with the CK hubs you could just use adapters (e.g. MRP Better Boost) and redish (as long as your spokes are long enough). Have run similarly converted Hope hubs for ages without issue..

DT78
    Free Member

That’s conversion kit is interesting is there similar for a rear 135 qr to 148?

damascus
    Free Member

I’m running a boost kit on my hopes and they are fit and forget. A lot cheaper and a lot less hassle

frogstomp

It looks like you can buy a CK conversion kit to go from QR->142×12 (assuming that’s the right hub) and then use something like the Problem Solver converter to space things to Boost.

Also, looks like the MRP front conversion kit does not require redishing.

Northwind

Less likely than with alu rims ime- they’re more likely to still be straight.

But if there’s a convertor, obviously it makes sense to do that. Me, I’d take the opportunity to upgrade to DT Swiss but I know some folks like the Kings

LAT

unfortunately not. It is a shame MRP don’t do matching rear kits. The loose spacers work well enough, I have a set myself, but the mrp on the front is muck more convenient when taking wheels of for transporting the bike.

DT78
    Free Member

Where would I find spacers? or did you make some yourself?

The CK hubs are brilliant, I think I’ve cleaned them out twice, because I thought I should rather than they needed it. The set of hopes I run on the other bike have needed 2 sets of bearings in the same timeframe. The only reason I’m thinking of replacing is hub standards have changed 🙁

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘rebuilding old carbon rims onto new hub’ is closed to new replies.