Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Rebuild cost of house..
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Not for insurance purposes – we have seen an opportunity in a run-down house which could be renovated (last use was as an animal sanctuary and the mad old bat that lived there lived to the same standard as the animals) but it is a red brick house without much character. The plot of land it is on is the draw though – nearly 1/4 an acre and with countryside views.

So I was thinking – would it be economically viable to knock it down and start again? The existing property seems (in general) structurally sound and has just has its roof fixed, new guttering, new double glazing and a new central heating system (I think she got it all through some grant) but at the end of the day it is a red brick house and not really with any character.

Very approx overall sq ft of 1,800 over both floors.

Also – it is on greenbelt so I assume we can rebuild to the same floorplan without any planning issues – how about adding a first floor room above an existing double garage?

Thoughts/experiences pls – I initially estimated £80k – £100k to renovate assuming the majority of work done by tradesmen and me / father in law doing what we can.

aP
    Free Member

I always suggest £100/m2

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

so what is 1,800 sq ft in metres??? And does that exclude fittings?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Having calculated that, I get 167 sq m, which is £16,700. I assume you meant £1,000 per sq m??????

5lab

£1000 per m^2 is what I've heard. Seems a bit of a waste if its structurally sound though – might be worth thinking how much difference you're going to make by building from scratch – very few new builds have much character in anyway

aP
    Free Member

Sorry £100/ft or £1000/m2. All this archaic units of measurement get me confused. Anyway we all work in mm.

Gary_M
    Free Member

**** me, £180k to refurb a house. Look forward to seeing it on grand designs 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

1k/m2 is normally reserved for scratch-builds?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i'd have though unless you are prepared to spend a lot on a new build then you are just going to get a newer featureless brick house!

theotherjonv

I'm not in the trade but based on the estimated rebuild costs for house insurance purposes I wouldn't have expected that much.

For a start you say 1800 sq ft over two floors so that's going to be 900 sq ft footprint. You only have one roof after all so add a floor and the price / sq ft has to reduce comparatively.

Secondly, assuming a square house 10m x 9m (assumes 10 sq ft = 1 sq mtr) isn't exactly a massive house. Now of course, depending on the locale you could probably buy a new build of similar size for less.

How much for a Huf house?

thomthumb
    Free Member

must be profitable – that is happening constantly where i live. the boring small ish 60's/70s (mostly bungalows) are being flattened and a big house being put in its place.

latest one is on the market for 650K.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Look forward to seeing it on grand designs

To be honest – it crossed my mind (seriously). It isn't a huge house though, no. I really can't see it running to £180k to rebuild, but as it just cost me almost £30k for an 8ft x 12ft extension I suppose it could!

Now of course, depending on the locale you could probably buy a new build of similar size for less.

But not with the land and the views this one has. Not in Harrogate/Knaresborough.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

and a big house being put in its place.

It won't be a bigger footprint as it is greenbelt. I *think* I should be able to build an additional room above the existing brick built and attached double garage though, making a four bed (one en-suite) family home. Obviously I would do all I can to add sq footage through single storey extensions to it where I can.

must be profitable

Not bothered about it being profitable per se – I would see it as an investment for my family's lifelong home.

theotherjonv

I understand the point about views, etc., the point I was trying and failing to get across is that bricks and mortar as raw materials don't vary wildly from one part of the country to another. So if a similar sized newbuild house anywhere in the country can be sold for less than the 180K that is currently being estimated that says to me that the estimate for the value of the building (bricks + labour to put it together) is significantly over.

eddie11
    Free Member

you'll not need planning to knock it down but you will need planning permission to build anything back on the site so unless you want to/need to reuse the old foundations then dont worry about the old footprint as you could build 'anything' within the remit of the local plan/Local development framework. If its washed over by the greenbelt then rules are stricter but if the new house is architect designed, not more than 50% bigger than the old one, you speak to the council early (i.e. before you knock the old one down) and you dont get unlucky woth a renegade neighbours or parish council objecting you should get a fair chance of approval. No ones building anyhitng at the minute to the planning office will have more time these days to give you adivce now before you even bought the plot.

avdave2

http://www.backtofrontexteriordesign.com/

Link things seem to have disappeared but have a look at the above. Just shows what can be achieved without demolishing the original house. might be more cost effective as well.

woody2000

My friend has a house on greenbelt, and they've just had a 1 floor extension to their garage knocked back, so don't assume you can build in the existing structures.

Sounds like a lot of bother to me! 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

and you dont get unlucky woth a renegade neighbours

There are those. My wife's mum and dad being immediate neighbours 🙂

Seriously – I know there is a mad old crone who makes it her life's work to oppose any kind of development on that particular stretch of land, but having the backing of my wife's mum and dad (and potentially of all of the neighbours they are friendly with) could mean opposition is less fierce.

(I know I am mad for considering living next to my mother and father in law, but it really is a perfect spot).

I have already contacted the planning dept and awaiting feedback…

geoffj

If the existing house is structurally, sound, I'd go for and extension to add what features and space you want.
    Get on the phone to the local planners and have a friendly conversation of what may and may not be possible. If it's on a huge plot, then a sympathetic extension should not be a problem, green belt or not.

EDIT: Just seen that you have been on to planning – good move.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

avdave – that link is spot on and just what we need to get creative thoughts going 🙂

If it's on a huge plot,

Just a bit! Quite easily get three or four decent sized houses with gardens on it (but that would never, ever be passed in this particular area).

slackman99
    Free Member

My father has built a 2000 sqft house (timber framed) for approx £100k complete and it's got decent stuff in it (underfloor heating, presurised hot water system decent carpet and wooden flooring etc). He's done all the decorating himself (and landscaping) but major building works, wiring etc has had tradesmen.

You may be more likely to get planning if you build within the existing floorplans, but not guaranteed as the house will have to be in keeping with the area.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Rebuild cost of house..’ is closed to new replies.