Reba sinks into travel

Home Forum Bike Forum Reba sinks into travel

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Reba sinks into travel
  • doncorleoni

Exactly the same thing happened on my dual air rebas…-ve piston would leak into positive and fork would suck down. Kept having to drop all air to reset piston and then refill. Worked for a bit then I decided to get them serviced fully and they are better than ever.

The 2013 are solo air right? But I guess it’s most prob te same issue.

svalgis

Yeah, solo air, but since they still use positive and negative chambers (that pressurizs automatically) I highly suspect that it’s the same problem.

I’ll just get in touch with the store in question and hear what they have to say. Surely this isn’t caused by user error in any way, is it?

doncorleoni

Only thing I would suggest to try is to let all air out (maybe leave 10 psi in there so air piston moves a bit) and bounce forks up and down a few times so seals pick up any grease along air piston. Mine seemed better after I did this a few times. But does sound like a return is what you need 🙁

Cannot think of any thing you could be doing to cause it. Maybe you could try adjusting rebound to max to see if Its packing down due to stiction or something? My rebas needed a few good rides to bed in fully.

wait for loco to reply 🙂

svalgis

2013 Reba RL 26″ 120mm Pushloc solo air, bought new in February, has started to sink into it’s travel. I tried to pull the stanchions out by hand and realised that I probably haven’t seen all those sag markings in a while… It’s probably been gradually happening over some time now, I just didn’t think about it until they were barely visible at all (the top 80mm travel ones that is).

More air gives me a little more stanchion showing – 130 psi gives about 90mm, which is as far as I’ve been willing to try. Removing all air and adding again does nothing.

Sounds like a typical case of negative air leaking into positive chamber, right? Or are there any other suspects?

svalgis

No luck with bouncing it either, nor rebound set to max.

I’ll try to find a decent shipping service to send it back (I live in Sweden but bought it from the UK) but I’ve got the go-ahead to take a look myself if I want to – might be quicker to just get a service kit sent to me if I can confirm that’s the issue.

If it’s indeed the seal that’s the culprit, where exactly is it? Part number would help immensly.

Premier Icon jairaj
    Subscriber

yep sounds like a seal is leaking somewhere. Have a look on TF tuned’s website for service kits.

sure there is a place in Sweden that services a fork? can you send it to them and get original place you bought it from to reimburse you?

or give it a go your self. its not hard but is slightly tedious to perform. just go through it slowly and methodically.

svalgis

I’ve serviced some air Rebas before so I think I could handle it, especially if it means it will be working again sooner. I’d feel better if I knew what I was looking for though.

I did think about letting someone in-country taking care of it at the expense of the place of purchase – might ask them about it.

doncorleoni

you seen the vid on youtube? looks ok to do. (I am guessing it will void warranty though)

my bet is it will be that o ring on the floating piston

Good luck!

svalgis

Thanks for the video. I’ve watched those before and have been studying the technical manual as well. I agree with your guess – in any case there are not a whole lot of seal or other individual parts in there so I should be able to find it once it’s disassembled.

I’ve got the green lights from the shop to do it myself (i.e. take a look and replace if it’s something as simple as a seal). Which kind of makes sense since you actually have to service it occasionally for the warranty to be valid, which involves replacing seals.

doncorleoni

the only other place i would look is check for any scratches or tiny marks on inside of the air spring tube.

I have heard that if you connect up a shock pump that’s dirty with sand/grit, you could blow a bit of crap into the air cylinder which could score the inside of the tube resulting in similar issues to faulty o ring.

I had a new CSU warrantied by fishers due to this on a brand new set.

LoCo

Sounds like it’s just a faulty seals on the piston, or dirt ingress/from assembly.

You won’t necessarily see any damage on the oring as a tiny imperfection can cause leakage at high pressure.

Just clean everything and give them a good inspection, if you have the service kit replace all the seals not just the piston seals as it’ll be a pain to take them apart again if it’s another one leaking 😉

patriotpro

Bought new in February (2013 I presume) and people are recommending the OP strips them down and inspects them…really??!

At what point do you think they need to go back to shop?? 😕

LoCo

I’ll try to find a decent shipping service to send it back (I live in Sweden but bought it from the UK) but I’ve got the go-ahead to take a look myself if I want to – might be quicker to just get a service kit sent to me if I can confirm that’s the issue.

Will cost a bit to send back to the shop in the UK, although a local Rockshox dealer should be able to sort it for him, not sure what the deal is with Swedish RS service/warranty centre

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Reba sinks into travel’ is closed to new replies.