Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Reba or Sid?
  • Gordymac
    Free Member

Hi all

What is the general thinking for a fork for a race 1st/ trail 2nd bike? Rockshox Reba team or Sid team?

Obviously there is a weight difference with the Sid straight away but are there any other other advantages?

Can anyone comment on performance?

Cheers
    Gordymac

njee20
    Free Member

SID if it's a race bike first and foremost.

Reba has the option for a 15mm thru axle is the big difference.

GW
    Free Member

depends how you ride, I'd trust a Reba for DH, jumping and 4X but not a Sid

xc-steve
    Free Member

Although not a direct comparison, but Riding my 100mm sids and my Revelations at 110mm, the Rev's feel sooo much nicer, would imagine this is a similar deal with the Rebas.

If its just for race go Sid otherwise Reba.

glenncampbell

I've got 2009 Reba's on my full sus and 2010 SID forks on my hardtail and they are both great! For price got for Reba, SID's are more expensive but I prefer the SID for racing and the reba for general trail stuff.

zaskar
    Free Member

Sid – XC racing

Reba – XC/Trail AM more travel

KINGTUT
    Free Member

The SID also requires more TLC.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Merlin and JEJames do the entry level SID and Reba for arround £320 so price shouldn't be an issue, no idea about the other models though.

If your trail riding is just XC then get the SID, if it involves drop offs and mid sized jumps, go for the reba.

njee20
    Free Member

The SID also requires more TLC.

Really? Why do you say that?

The current SID is tougher than the older Reba, unless you're riding a lot of >3ft drops and generally riding like an oaf then they'll be fine. If you value the steering precision over the weight, then get the Reba.

Gordymac
    Free Member

Ok so i've been on Pikes for years now, What am i better to look for in race forks Motion control or Black box motion control?

Cheers
    Gordymac

njee20
    Free Member

Blackbox is better. Ti spring, so it weighs less, can't remember the performance difference, if any!

GregMay
    Free Member

SID's would be my preff for racing…once you get over the flex

Reba's would be a choice for longer Enduro's though

njee20
    Free Member

New SIDs really aren't that flexy. Why would Rebas be any better for enduros?

jojoA1
    Free Member

Jeez, going from pikes you'll really notice a difference in flex and directness through lumpy stuff and corners with either of those, in my opinion. (not that the SIDS are 'that' flexy, just in comparison to Pikes) I went from old Revs with adjustable travel to new SIDs on my race bike and it took some getting used to. I have got used to and like the SIDs now as they've really lightened the bike up and made it more 'racey' compared to when I had the Revs on and I still coped with the techy descents at the Alastair Lees TT at Innerliethen.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

The current SID is tougher than the older Reba, unless you're riding a lot of >3ft drops and generally riding like an oaf then they'll be fine. If you value the steering precision over the weight, then get the Reba.

Well, seeing as there is only 5ml of oil in the lowers rather than the 15 ml of Rebas I'm inclined to service them more often.

njee20
    Free Member

Fair enough, it was a serious question! I never bother servicing forks, sell them before they need it 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I'm also having issue with +ve -ve air seepage, which is a pain but it's obviously not just because they are SIDs.

Frankers
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

SID if it's a race bike first and foremost.

Reba has the option for a 15mm thru axle is the big difference.

Are Reba's coming with 15mm axle now? I thought only 20mm and QR

njee20
    Free Member

Sorry, I meant 20mm, although the SID RLT should have 15mm when it appears!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Reba or Sid?’ is closed to new replies.