Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Reba hose guide stripped – helicoil (or similar)?
  • prezet
    Free Member

A secondhand pair of forks I recently purchased has stripped the thread on the hose guide. I know I could simply use a cable tie instead, but if possible I’d like to try to fix the thread. Options are tapping it out for a larger bolt, or trying to install a helicoil – has anyone ever tried to repair successfully?

wwaswas

I’d probably just use a bit of epoxy to hold the bolt in. You could unscrew it if you need to remove the hose and repeat – hopefully don’t often need to do that?

larkim
    Free Member

I’ve used a bit of matchstick in stripped threads where full on strength isn’t particularly an issue.

russyh
    Free Member

can you not tap it and fit a marginally bigger bolt?

prezet
    Free Member

Options are tapping it out for a larger bolt

Yep, that’s one option I’ve considered.

andyl
    Free Member

If it’s like my 2013 ones the thread is tiny (m2.5 maybe?) So should be easy to drill and tap with the next size up. or if you don’t want to do that then clean it out with some degreaser, fill with some epoxy, JB Weld might be a good one, and drill and re-tap.

Or bond a stud in and fit a nut.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

take 1 zip tie, put one end through a small washer, round the fork leg and back through the washer. Then do the cable. works a treat, if you need to stand it off the fork a bit use a cable ferrul with the end cut off

gavinckirby
    Free Member

Might be worth trying some steel reinforced metal epoxy putty.

I repaired striped pedal threads on a RaceFace crank this way as opposed to fitting a HELICOIL. Chased the threads to clear out damaged material, and realign the remaining damaged threads, I then applied the putty, drilled it out with a bit that was smaller than the existing thread (requires a degree of precision) and then I simply re-tapped the threads again and which also cut new threads into the putty repaired section.

That was a few years ago and they’ve held up fine, even with multiple pedal removals for servicing… I’m a hefty so-and-so too.

prezet
    Free Member

Thanks. Think I’m going to try the putty/drill/tap method first and see how that goes. Failing that I’ll simply drill out to the next bolt size up.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just try a different bolt of the same size first. Either longer or with a different thread pitch. That’ll probably do it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Reba hose guide stripped – helicoil (or similar)?’ is closed to new replies.