Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Reasonable waterproof without the £££
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I tend to find waterproof jackets delaminate after a couple of years (yes, decent brands) and the DWR lasts no time. Being a Fairweather type, I tend to buy discounted branded for casual/walking/biking use, ideally with pit zips.

Anything good going or should I have a different strategy?

Enduraa Humvee looks good, nice cut (ie not potato sack)

matt_outandabout

and the DWR lasts no time

The new ‘eco’ DWR’s are really poor, both when new and in durability.

waterproof jackets delaminate after a couple of years

I find that they both stop breathing as well and usually starry to leak at areas of high wear, but not delaminate. Are you washing correctly?

We’ve a couple of Altura waterproof’s – a lumi one for commuting and a MTB one that have lasted well and fit nicely. Less breathable but durable.

We’ve also got a Madison Stellar(?) old model which is superb. Really waterproof, a few features I scoffed at but now think are great such as magnetic drop hem and pit-zips on the wonk so accessible when in riding position. Really nice fit too. Was £40 in a sale.

kimbers

+1 Madison stuff

Freewheel often have them on sale

Mines a couple of years old and still good

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

My Madison waterproof shorts have been good for the last two or three years. I wouldn’t buy Endura again but others swear by it.

hainman
    Free Member

Always been happy with my Forclaz decathlon waterproof jackets
    Really good value compared to bike stuff

zerocool

Decathlon stuff is usually pretty good.
    I have a very old Endura Event jacket that is battered but I just reproof the DWR for last 15 years. But I usually just wear a DWR soft shell or waterproof gillet nowadays. The Missus has a Berghaus Goretex Active jacket that’s still going strong after 5 years. But only wears it on bike park days.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thank you everyone.

In the end I bought a decathlon waterproof, it has beaded perfectly so far.

scotroutes

Missed this or I’d have suggested a Columbia Outdry. It doesn’t depend on DWR.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was going to suggest decathlon too, bought one of their fairly basic windbreaker style waterpoofs for £13 in the sale and a £6 fleece to go under it for working outside and walking to work. It’s been really good, and less zips to fail.

On the bike I’ve got a now ancient Race Face Atlas AM jacket for really shitty days. DWR has long since gone though. Washing and lightly tumble drying helps, but only for a few more rides at a time.

cynic-al
    Free Member

@scotroutes I already have one thanks – delaminated

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.