Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Reasonable to ask for replacement brake pads?
  • hora
    Free Member

Cheap XT brakes bought from Ribble. The rear squealed from the word go and mud etc doesn't stop their ardour for choral practice. Looking at a few reviews this is a common problem with Shimano OEM pads. Is it reasonable to ask for a replacement set of aftermarket pads from Ribble? (Ridden for 3 rides).
    Ad here- no mention of OEM brakes

Is it 'tight' of me given the price of the brakes? The brakes were obviously off a bike (no box or instructions) when they arrived.

br
    Free Member

No, unless you assembled them perfectly on a crystal-clean rotor and followed Shimano's bedding-in process to the letter.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

shimano pads are shimano pads hora, no such thing as oem pads. If sintered get em hotter

hora
    Free Member

It was also a new rotor and I purposely avoided dragging the rear- problem is it started out of the box- first use etc. They are definitely cheap pads RR.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

No its not reasonable.

Think the brakes may have been for a bike but doubt they were off a bike.

retro83
    Free Member

are you 100% sure you didn't get any trace of oil on the rotor/pads?

Every time my pads have started making a loud squeeling/honking sound it has been down to this.

Junkyard
    Free Member

perhaps the brakes dont like being on constantly whilst you roll/mince downhill hence the fast wear 😉
    The avid ones I got with my Juicy's did exactly the same and lasted about 2 mths. the replacement [superstar pads] lasted about a year.
    Shimano = other may do this to reduce costs ..use a thineer pad? I haveno evidence for this BTW
    Doubt there is much you can do

Drac

Squeeking suggests they were setup up wrong, usually squeak if misaligned.

hora
    Free Member

are you 100% sure you didn't get any trace of oil on the rotor/pads?

Every time my pads have started making a loud squeeling/honking sound it has been down to this. 110%. The brakes haven't been bled near these rotors and I only ever apply oil with the chain off or over the middle/granny ring. Squeak as in as soon as you apply them not misaligned caliper 😆

convert

copper slipped the back of the pads?

iainc

I bought the same brakes just before you I think. Mine are fine and have had half a dozen hard rides so far.

Drac

Squeak as in as soon as you apply them not misaligned caliper

Still sounds like it could be to me.

hora
    Free Member

hard rides

😯

copper slipped the back of the pads

Good point

Splash-man
    Free Member

My neighbour had squealing pads on his XT the other week, and he likes to use his brakes as he minces along. I was unfortunately stuck behind him on a 2 mile section of singletrack – my ears were ringing by the end of the run !

Anyway he replaced them with some after market pads and all was fine.

Suck it up. If in doubt re-align everything again, take a bit od sandpaper to the pads and try again. Certainly doesn't warrant replacement in my eyes.

Think he replaced the sintered with organic as well.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

If sintered get em hotter

Ah. This means Hora would have to go at some speed, in order for braking to get the rotor up to a temperature sufficient to effectively bed the pads in. I think we've found the answer here. 😉

showerman
    Free Member

Have 3 sets of xtr brakes they are as quite as a church mouse untill they start to get hot then who needs a bell, spoke to the Big S and was told to run non sintered pads even in winter and this would stop my problem.when asked if they could supply me with 3 sets of pads they said nothing was wrong with them to change under warranty very good brakes and love um over my hopes but the noise 😯 but only on downhill bits when they warm up

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

New brakes pads = do loads stoppies on tarmac before use which faces them and increases their life. Seems to help stop squealing to some degree but all pads do that sometimes mainly when wet.

Drac

I've never bedded a set of pads in and I get ages out of them. It's basically all you do when riding anyway.

couby
    Free Member

hora, i bought these brakes and had the same problem, couldn't get rid of the noise no matter what i did- they were so bad that I had unbelievable vibration coming through the whole frame along with the dreadful noise. Had some spare lying around and once fitted, the problem has been solved. despite this, the brakes are awesome!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Reasonable to ask for replacement brake pads?’ is closed to new replies.