Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Reasonable life expectancy of a frame?
  • jonba
    Free Member

I know this is difficult to answer without a me divulging a huge amount of information but how long would you expect one of your frames to last.

Specifically an aluminium full suss of the 140-150mm variety.

5thElefant
    Free Member

10+ years.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

5 years?
    Specialized Warranty 5 years
    others vary, if it’s out of warranty – about that long

mrblobby
    Free Member

Depends how often i was using it and on what terrain. If I was mincing round here every other weekend then 10+ years. If I was riding it hard every day in the Alps and racing on it, then maybe a season or two at best.

jonba
    Free Member

Just had an email, issue resolved. 5 years BTW.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Depends how often you use it. Every day riding hard – maybe a couple of years. Ever weekend riding easily – wouldnt expect it to break before i did.

LoCo
    Free Member

Ali mtb frames I don’t keep for longer than 3 years,(although I have a 15 year of specialized fs frame too) steel frames forever

tommyhine

I have a Koga Miyata X-Racer which is now about 6 years old which has been riden pretty hard all over the place 1 or twice a week and is now definitley not in a good way. Lots of flex, creaking etc.
    It’s now relegated to a light weight fast pub/gym/shopping bike.
    Wouldn’t fancy talking down afan etc like I used to although having said that with only 80mm at the front it was always pretty tough any way!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just had an email, issue resolved. 5 years BTW.

Untill it breaks? How long’s your piece of string?

I usualy keep them untill something get’s beyond what I feel comfortable riding. Measuring in years would be pointless, my XC bike probably gets more hours in a month than my Pitch gets in a year. But I’d still expect the Pitch to fail first because I’ll probably crash the downtube into a rock or something. Assuming it dies of old age, maybe 1000 hours/10000miles I’d not feel ripped off, double that and I’d be impressed?

munrobiker
    Free Member

About 20 years for a hardtail, or until a new wheel size fashion rolls round, whichever comes sooner.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

in terms of “lifetime” warranty’s such as Cannondale’s your frame life is no more than 2 years and less if you abuse it

bigblackshed

munrobiker – Member
    About 20 years for a hardtail, or until a new wheel size fashion rolls round, whichever comes sooner.

Next week then?

richmtb

Its not the age its the milage

andrewh
    Free Member

14 years now and still going strong. Only ridden a few times a year now, but I’m not gentle with it http://andrewhowett.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/transvesubienne-race.html and one for the welsh speakers http://andrewhowett.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/tybed-os-gall-unrhyw-un-ddarllen-hwn.html

Keva
    Free Member

I’ve got a 15yr old GT Alu frame that I’m thinking about getting sprayed up for a rebuild. Should look good in fire orange. I rode it loads from between 1998-2003. Then it became a second bike for a few years between 2005-2008 and since then it’s been hanging up in my mates garage until last week when he gave it back to me.

jonba
    Free Member

This was a warranty, sale of goods act question.

My frame cracked, I was told it was out of its warranty, I said it wasn’t happy as I would expect more than x years out of a frame and so it was not fit for purpose.

I was preparing for a long battle with a bike shop and manufacturer after a disagreement but I was only dealing with one of the lads that worked there so he was fairly helpless beyond it having a note that £x was owed

Got an email today saying they will warranty as they would expect 5 years, happy days.

Will pop in tonight to pick it up and thank them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not a bad result, who made the frame? I generally factor the warranty into a purchase decision these days and would not bank on the frame outlasting the warranty (for costing purposes)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Reasonable life expectancy of a frame?’ is closed to new replies.