• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by adsh.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Rear tyre for the wet season?
  • hock

Based on advice here I have found an excellent mud tyre for the front (Bontrager Mud X). Very controlled and even if it let’s go eventually it is still a controlled slide.

What would you recommend as a tyre for the rear, that bites/grinds with good traction up-hill through slimy, muddy stuff and the odd wet root/rock but still rolls okay?

Maxxis Ignitor any good?

I have currently 2.35 Minions on the front and will switch back to the 2.0 Mud Xs if things get too sloggy later in the year. I currently have a 2.4 Maxxis Ardent on the rear which was okay in the dry but those shallow, ramped mid-blocks are useless as soon as it get’s wet-ish.

Was always amazed by Nobby Nick up-hill traction in the goo but don’t like their lack of control in corners. Purgatorys were okay but not great.

Thanks!
    hock

P.S.: We are talking 26 hardtail trail biking in clay/sand/dirt woddy area, not rocky.

wwaswas

another bonty Mud-X? They’re really not that draggy.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Have you actually tried a Mux-X on the back? I run a pair when the conditions turn to slop and am actually looking forward to putting them on because they’re so fast on the road too, well compared to a UST rubber queen.

robbonzo
    Free Member

Maxxis Medusa or Conti Mud king. The conti cuts through the deepest of mud.

hock

another bonty Mud-X

Hm, havn’t thought about them as a rear tyre based on “how they look” but certainly worth a test while the Minion ist still okay for the front.

If it works I could try to get the wider and/or softer compound ones for the front.

Cheers! 🙂

headpotdog
    Free Member

I was running Bontrager XR4’s front & rear in yesterdays Mary Towneley Loop Challenge & I really couldn’t fault them.

The conditions were truly horrendous and I don’t think you could get much wetter, muddier conditions than that!

chiefgrooveguru

I think the XR-Mud / Mud-X is a better rear tyre than front tyre.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I think the XR-Mud / Mud-X is a better rear tyre than front tyre.

I agree.
    My XC hardtail has a Mud-x on the back and a 42a Minion on the front. Same combo all through last Winter and this Summer too.

crasher50

It does’nt aiways work but some tyres that are not good in the wetter weather, work pretty good run in the wrong direction of rotation. Its a good way to run off your old part worn tyres.

honourablegeorge

You’re wasting your time. It’s still summer for at least another month or two. Isn’t it?

rewski
    Free Member

Well looking at the long range forecast summer is back as of friday down south, I’ll keep my small block 8s on.

Storm Control’s are equally as good as Mud X, if not better rolling IMO.

hock

You’re wasting your time. It’s still summer for at least another month or two. Isn’t it?

I like your thinking! Not sure if that works on the rear, though? 😉

cubemeup
    Free Member

the best set up i have found for muddy south wales trails is a wet scream 2.2 on the front and a high roller on the rear.

2.4 ardents are just like having a surf board attached your bike. no other front tyre comes close to the wet scream, not to bothered about the rear but i do like a fast rolling tyre in the summer like an ardent or crossmark and a high roller/minion in the winter.

has anyone tried the rubber queens for an all round tyre?

Stevelol
    Free Member

Yes, in my experience rubber queens have nowhere near big enough knobblies to dig in unless you want to run very low pressures, they also clog like mad and soon become like slicks.

cubemeup
    Free Member

ok cheers fella
    so looks like i will be sticking to the wet scream this winter again.

are the good rolling or draggy

hock

Just a little update:
    – tried 2.0 Bonty MudX on the rear and… hated it! Too shallow! Got too used to wider/taller stuff…
    – fitted leftover 2.4 Nobby Nic on the rear and – as always – Nobby Nics are certainly not great in the mud BUT they keep you going. Somehow and with a lot of slip I made most muddy inclines despite the rear being clogged up. Amazing! But 2.4 with mud rubs Soul chainstays -> not sustainable!
    – I’ll switch to a High Roller as soon as I can get hold of one.

On the front? My brave Minions were send into hibernation as I’ve found a dusty Specialized Enduro 2.4 tyre full of cob-webs (literally) in the very back of my LBS’ tyre rag. After being dusted off the LBS gave me a very fair price and still giggled. They have a very nice open tread and super soft rubber on the shoulders. So far I like them.

Cheers!

hock

Another update:
    – switched front-to-rear, as Highrollers on the rear were almost as useless as Ardents: sudden slip, just a little later, those ramped middle blocks are sh#te for traction when slippery to muddy
    – but above mentioned Spesh Enduro truly excellent on the rear!
    – same tyre was side-knob flapping into oversteer all the time when on the front
    – Highrollers upfront now, perform OKish but not as good as Bonty MudX (less control, more glide)

-> 2.0 Bonty MudX on the front, Spesh Enduro 2.4 on the rear? Will probably look like a dragster but might work.

2.2 Conti Rubber Queen reduced at the bike shop. Might be the solution for more tyre-space for those gluey-muddy-rides around 0°C…

dannyh
    Free Member

I’d vote for a trailraker, and they’re not that slow if you pump them up hard. You need to run quite high pressures as they are skinny. They are a real ‘cutter’ of a mud tyre, very good for drive. Not so good on roots and rocks, but you said you didn’t need that.

slackalice
    Free Member

Have you tried the HR’s the other way round? Braking traction might not be up to par, but it’s muddy anyway, and having the ramp on the trailing edge instead of the leading one might afford a little more grip?

hock

Have you tried the HR’s the other way round?

yeah, thought about that, too – not tried yet, though

adsh
    Free Member

Maxxi Beaver are very good. Good traction and quite fast.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Rear tyre for the wet season?’ is closed to new replies.