Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Rear suspension knocking issue aagghhh
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

I need some advice, my bike knocks a little when I pick up the rear wheel. I traced it to the lower rear shock mounting, as I lift it I can feel movement with my fingers underneath the shock eyelet up and down. The shock was serviced 2 months ago and I have just replaced the bushings now. It’s still doing it, any ideas please or is it a stuffed shock eyelet?

scaled
    Free Member

Worn mounting hardware?

wwaswas

Dismantle it and get the micrometer out is probably the simplest test, if either the eye, frame link or bush are either not round or a significantly different size that’ll be it.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Shouldn’t be it’s only 9 months old?.

Northwind

If it’s ever been loose it could wear parts in a hurry- turns the entire bike into a little hammer and anvil.

What sort of shock hardware is it, proper stuff or rubbish aluminium tophats? If it’s the 2-part tophats, worth ordering a “heavy duty” (or “not crap”) kit on general principles imo.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Ok, it is a black anodised cylinder I think is aluminium which goes through the bush and a steel rod goes through the cylinder to fit to the bike via steel bolts either side.The lower cylinder has a polished bit where the anodising has rubbed off by the looks of it.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Sounds like you replaced the wrong bit. Did you replace the shock eyelet bush or just the aluminium mounting bits that sit in and either side of the eyelet?

tomaso
    Free Member

It is probably just the shock eyelet bushing but for a few quid more I’d swap the lot out for some heavy duty kit. Or you could consider getting an offset shock bush from Burgtec for extra slackness.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I replaced the eyelet bush only.

daver27
    Free Member

just one end?

bigyinn
    Free Member

IF it was a stuffed shock eyelet (unlikely) it would have been pretty to press in the stock bushing. Just to confirm, the eyelet bush is the shape of a hula hoop crisp?
    If the mounting hardware is old, it may need replacing too. Were the aluminium top hats easy to put back in the bushing?

bigbloke
    Free Member

I did both eyelets. It has no top hats it’s just straight through.

daver27
    Free Member

what bike is it? and how old

bigyinn
    Free Member

Did you replace the bits that go through the shock eyelet as well? Typically the eyelet bush will wear first as its plastic and designed to wear, the the mounting hardware will wear as well, but at a slower rate. So will you will wear many eyelet bushes before the mounting hardware needs replacement.

mulv1976
    Free Member

Might seem a daft question but are you using a clutch mech? I had what I thought was a suspension ‘knock’ and thought it was the shock or the bushes or even the suspension pivots. It turned out to be a binding clutch mech (sram).

bigbloke
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I took it off again and swapped out the thing the goes through the eyelet (not the bush) for one off a spare shock, problem solved. It was loads tighter to get in, now no knock or movement.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Bingo!
    They do last a lot longer than the bush, but they do wear.
    BETD do some good replacements (strong bushes) which normally come with a couple of the hula hoop bushes (eyelet bushes) included.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Rear suspension knocking issue aagghhh’ is closed to new replies.