Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Rear Shock rebound tuning theory – thoughts?
  • glenh
    Free Member

For general trail riding (i.e not XC or full DH) is it better to have:

1. Fairly open bypass, and a stiff / preloaded high speed shim stack, or
    2. More closed bypass, and a less stiff / not preloaded shim stack?

My thinking is that for rebound you don’t want as digressive a setup as on the compression side, as you don’t have as high forces / shaft speed, and you probably don’t want really high rebound speeds even at full compression.

Option 1 above seems to be the way manufacturers generally set shocks up, but that seems more likely because it provides a wide range of adjustment for riders of different weights, since nearly all of the low speed flow is through the bypass which is controlled by the adjustment needle.
    If you are setting up for a known weight / spring rate, is it better to go with option 2, where you have more flow through the shim stack, or is that likely to be too digressive and a bit uncontrolled at mid-high compressions?

DrP

Idongeddit….

I’m aware of the terms rebound damping, compression damping, and sag (related to spring/air pressure ).

The fancier the shock, the more controls you have.

Low speed rebound is smallish bumps…high speed rebound can ONLY be from a big hit (as the shock can only extend fast from max compression…)..

Go from there.

DrP

Edit..OK…I think your option 1 is best.. most people will only have big hits a few times, so slower rebound from that would suit more people, as long as they’ve control over the lsc.

DrP

Onzadog
    Free Member

Something I’ve pondered but never reached a conclusion. I do wonder if less bypass and more shim control makes sense for a custom tune as shims are a variable orifice where as the bypass doesn’t chance due to fluid pressure.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Rear Shock rebound tuning theory – thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.