Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rear shock options? DB Air?
  • stevied
    Free Member

I’m looking to replace my 5th Element on my Intense 6.6 and was wondering what shocks people recommend. I’ve had my shock TF tuned to suit me and it is brilliant but I’m looking to get a dropper post and want to offset the weight gain by going for an air shock on the rear.
    I’ll be keeping the 5th for DH/uplift duties but want something lighter for general riding (Malvern Hills/FoD)
    I’m liking the idea of a CC DB Air as it has the plenty of tuning options but is there anything else I should be considering?
    Cheers
    Steve

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve just got a frame with a CCDBa and so far I’m petty impressed with it. It’s not that difficult to get set up and there are loads of base tunes specific to various bikes to get you started. It’s not that light though.

I’ve ridden a bike with a Fox CTD shock and didn’t like it.

Rock Shox seen popular but I’ve not really got any experience of their recent shocks so can’t really pass judgement.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do you have the time patience and knowledge to set up the CCDB?
    You have high and low speed compression and rebound you will need time and runs to set it up.
    I’ve been really impressed with fox CTD.

stevied
    Free Member

Do you have the time patience and knowledge to set up the CCDB?

Yeah, I’d like to think so. The 5th is bit of a job to set up but that’s part of the fun I reckon…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fair enough then if you want to go for it, if you get the right shock (fox/RS etc.) from the right place you can get it tuned to the bike, the CCDB can be tuned by the user to the bike. I’m guessing the difference in 90% from the shop vs 100% if you get the CCDB right (from what I see/hear) the CTD’s I have seen are great when suited to the bike.

Flaperon

Could you not just aim to lose a pound of body weight?

But if not, new Fox Factory CTD very good.

stevied
    Free Member

Could you not just aim to lose a pound of body weight?

I’m, pretty much, at fighting weight as it is.
    Will have a look at the Fox too..

messiah
    Free Member

Don’t bank on being able to get the DBAir exactly how you want it. I had a DB Coil and when I decided to go for an air shock to drop some weight I didn’t choose a DB Air as I could never quite get the DB Coil to where I was happy… it never had much spark or playfulness although it was fantasticly smooth in the gnar… even the all singing all dancing DB shocks can benefit from custom tuning IMHO etc.

It took two goes for TFT to get my Pushed Float R to perform well – I needed the rebound sped up. Its a great XC shock but not so hot in the gnar.

My Avalanche tuned DHX Air has been excellent out of the box… feels much better than the Float R and CCDB coil it replaced.

CTD stuff does not interest me at all… I don’t want to be wondering if I’ve got the shock in the right setting for the next bit of trail 🙄

stevied
    Free Member

CTD stuff does not interest me at all

Good point. Never used lock-out on forks and didn’t use pro-pedal on my old RP23 when I had a Reign. I like to just ride without having to think..

honourablegeorge

Bos Vip’r? I was considering the DB Air, but went lighter and simpler. It’s been great.

jedi

i got a rocco world cup jobbie. its awesome 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Rear shock options? DB Air?’ is closed to new replies.