Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Rear Shock on old Stumpjumper – options?
  • handybar
    Free Member

Hi all
    I have a 2006 Stumpjumper, I recently had new brakes installed, new chain and casette etc so it is good to go.
    However the rear shock no longer really locks out – it is the original shock and I’ve been told there is not much more they can do to tighten it up.
    I like to ride with the rear shock locked out mainly, so I was wondering what are my options?
    Is it possible to buy a replacement shock for that model?
    Or is there any way of essentially fully sealing out the shock so it is permanently locked out?
    Any suggestions appreciated, cheers.

nickdavies

Iirc my 2007 stumpy had a rp23, what shock is it? It’s probaly sortable by someone like tf, if it was totally fubar and you couldn’t replace it, and I would be amazed if you couldn’t get one off eBay – a replacement frame can’t be worth much these days? I sold mine for £400 as a full bike and that was years ago. Bet you could get a frame for £150 and then you’ve got a spare swing arm too. You’d probably still need to fork out for a shock service.

simondbarnes

Bolt a block of wood in there instead of the shock.

handybar
    Free Member

@nick, it’s a fox triad, known for their relatively short shelf life. I think I could get away replacing it with a rp23 from some of the research I’ve just done online. Cheers.

tinglesrack
    Free Member

Any reputable suspension service centre will able to return to working order. TF, Race Ready, Silverfish, Plush etc

thols2

Or is there any way of essentially fully sealing out the shock so it is permanently locked out?

If you were going to do that, you might as well just strip the bike and use the parts to build up a hardtail. However, it’s a fairly standard shock so either having it serviced or replaced with same sized shock shouldn’t be difficult.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Rear Shock on old Stumpjumper – options?’ is closed to new replies.