Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • rear shock making noise
  • andybrad

Ive got a fox ctd Kashmir shock. its setup and working really well for me at the moment. However since resting the bike up for a month ive come back to it and the rear shock is making a squishing noise on compression. it seems to be at the tart of the stroke but in both directions. Im guessing the oil has become ariated.

So death doom and destruction on its way?

will a service fix it? and lastly when you send it off for a service im assuming they do something like this?
    http://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=143

do they?

bigyinn
    Free Member

My RP3 did that, following a service it stopped doing it.

andysredmini
    Free Member

If it sounds like a duck / squelching then its cavitated (not the correct term for what’s happened apparently but widely used). The nitrogen and oil have mixed caused by failure of the seal between the two.
    it happened after 5 years on my rp23 and the cost of a service was not far off the price of a new shock. I just ignored it as performance wasn’t noticeably affected and I was planning on changing the bike in the future anyway. The frame and shock are now used by the wife.

scandal42
    Free Member

Does it matter? That’s a genuine question by the way.

Mine makes a similar noise but just assumed it was normal as it’s very much like the noise a fork makes upon compression.

andybrad

good question.

as its riding well im thinking not. unless its going to explode or something.

scandal42
    Free Member

Mine is also a Kashima CTD so maybe the norm?

kristoff
    Free Member

Just had mine push tuned, in the information they send back with the shock they state the whooshing is normal as the air/oil move through the channels within the shock.

It’s quite apparent when you bounce on the bike (bunny hop etc).

sandwicheater

kristoff, what shock have you got push tuned? Worth it/noticeable difference?

I’ve a five year old Kashima RP23. Could do with a proper service and considering getting it pushed.

Mine is making the same noise. May have lost performance over the years but the decline has been so slow I’ve not noticed it/got used to it if it has.

scandal42
    Free Member

Mine is 2015 so its not through overuse.

andybrad

tbh its 111 quid at mojo for a service. almost makes it worthwhile just getting a new one !

kristoff
    Free Member

sandwicheater had my Fox ctd Kashima off of my bro son push tuned, very happy with the results, feels more linear than before and the different compression modes (climb and trail) are more obvious than before.

Certainly worth the £150 IMHO.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘rear shock making noise’ is closed to new replies.