Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Rear shock cover
  • muggomagic

The Super Deluxe rear shock on my Capra somehow ended up with a slight nick in the shaft which meant it kept losing pressure. I have no idea how it got the damage, but could’ve been a stone hitting it, some impact damage from a crash or when transporting it (think this is unlikely though as I’m really careful, but can’t rule it out for certain). The shock has had to be sent off to SRAM HQ in Germany as they are the only ones with the parts required (the 70mm shaft) and don’t supply them to service centres yet, so it is going to be gone for at least a couple of weeks, plus I’ve no idea how much it’s going to cost.

When I eventually get it back I’m wondering if I should get some sort of cover for it so it doesn’t happen again. I have heard of the neoprene ones causing damage because dirt builds up inside and then scratches the shock, but if I cleaned it regularly as I do with the rest of the bike would it be ok? Are there any alternatives other than just hoping it won’t happen again?

breadcrumb

I wouldn’t take the risk of a neoprene cover, it could ruin the shock in one ride.

I think you’ve just been unlucky.

aide

Yeah, agree with breadcrumb. I had a neoprene cover for my motorbike’s shock but ended up taking it off when i seem how much crud it attracted

z1ppy

Indeedy, extremely unlucky, especially considering the bikes shock is positioning, but again there’s no way I’d use a neoprene cover

muggomagic

Thanks, TBH I thought as much.

Wouldn’t be quite as bad if in the unlikely event it happens again that I could send it to TF Tuned and get it done in a few days, the fact it has to go back to Germany for god knows how long (I’ve heard of people’s shocks disappearing for months with other issues) has made me consider trying to protect it. I will definitely put something around it when transporting it on a rack and when it’s in the garage.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Rear shock cover’ is closed to new replies.