Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Rear shock bushings
  • dizcostix
    Free Member

Right, I’ve taken my dhx off my nomad to check for bushing wear.

result is one end the reducers are still firmly planted and unmovable – so i assume all is well?

other end however, one reducer fell out and the other is in quite tight still. The DU is looking worn from the side where the reducer fell out.

So, my question is: if i replace the DU will the reducers need replacing? or are the reducers more robust to wear than the DU bushings?

thanks for the help

nopunk
    Free Member

The standard fox top hat bushes (silver) are a push fit and are normally pretty tight in the DU. Of course this then rotates up against the mounting point on the frame or link as the suspension moves which has always struck me as a bit odd but that is the way it is.

imo replacing the bushes with Tftuned heavy duty ones is a good idea as they are designed to allow the bush to rotate on itself and perhaps provide better suspension performance as that is less friction.

Ideally you do need a tool to hammer out the DU, but you could save money and replace only the end that attaches to the upper link as that rotates more than the frame end.

mk1 nomads use 22mm 3/8″ bushes not sure on mk2s.

100mphplus
    Free Member

Bin the top hats off and get the HD pins as mentioned above, you’ll go through less bushes in the long run.

Also you can replace old bushes by ‘pushing’ the new one in which pushes the old one out at the same time. Ideally done with a vice but I know some people who use a hammer to do it, I just prefer things a bit more ‘gentle’.

dizcostix
    Free Member

Thanks guys, HD ordered from TF!

KonaTC

Do a search for ‘fox tool’ on ebay I am sure there are a few homemade/diy tools for a couple of £, better safe than sorry.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Rear shock bushings’ is closed to new replies.