Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Rear Mudhugger, carbon frame, fitting
  • Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

Have stayed away from these in the past, but now that style has gone out the window with purchase of a FS ebike I’m gonna buy a set of front and rear ones 😁

Have watched the fitting instructions and it will be going on a brand new and clean carbon frame. So does the supplied helitape actually stop them eating holes in the frame ? Anything I need to do in addition, or watch out for ?

Premier Icon lovewookie
    Subscriber

helitape, then a wrap of old inner tube. if the inner tube starts to go, you’ll see it and be able to act.

mudhugger has been fine of my bikes. I had a Zefal seatstay mounted thing before, ate it’s way quite far in. Thankfully it was on a fairly industrial tube, had it been another bike, it’d worn right through.

Onzadog

I wrapped my stays with scotch self amalgamating tape and use 4 zip ties either side. Tape stays on all year but guards come of briefly in the dry season. I can then see the marks where the zip ties were for refitting.

Make sure th zip ties are tight to reduce rattle/vibration.

Premier Icon si77
    Subscriber

I can confirm the supplied helitape alone is not enough.

Premier Icon Jon Taylor
    Subscriber

I wrapped stays with an inner tube and it ate through those in no time at all.

I did have to trim the flats shorter to fit around the cable bosses on the stays though.

escrs

Ive just fitted one to my FS bike and did the following

Fitted the supplied helitape, then i fitted three zip ties per side on the top of the helitape (not actually mounting the mudhugger) trimmed the ends off and then mounted the mudhugger on top of the zip ties so the mud hugger actually sits on the zip ties not the frame and you can see a small gap between the frame and mudhugger and then fitted the mud huggers zip ties as per normal

The thinking behind this is if the mudhugger is elevated off the frame and it does move around and starts to cause any damage it will break one of the zip ties first which im more likely to notice

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

^^^^^ that’s a clever idea !

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

….though wondering if just continuing to have a muddy seat, dropper and pack is a potentially less long term expensive option…

Premier Icon reluctantjumper
    Subscriber

I’ve got Mudhuggers on 2 of my bikes and you need to get some thick, decent helitape to protect a frame properly. Get some of the proper 3M stuff, mine aren’t worn through yet after 3 winters. I know they say not to but I use all 6 holes each side with thick cable ties, stops any movement whatsoever and the Mudhugger just bends and bounces back if I crash or drop the bike. I tried the tube wrap on one bike but it just wore through it in 2 rides, much better to double wrap helitape if you need to. It helps that both bikes have straight tubes to mount it on, the other bike has a curve and they don’t play nicely with that one!

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

Thanks, have just ordered some thick 3M mastic clear tape from Amazon following a recommendation from a kind chap on EMTB forum (on here too 😜). Will use that and keep a very close eye on it..

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

I’ve only had the Mudhugger fitted to my Pact and that’s Ti so I didn’t bother with any sort of frame protection.

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

Ah, see, my only titanium is the two screws in my right foot and I’ve got a shoe to keep that clean … 😜

K

On a full sus, make sure it doesn’t hit the seat tube on full bump

Premier Icon ajantom
    Subscriber

Thick helitape and I put stick on velcro on the flats of the mudhugger.
    Seems to have worked so far.

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

How do you put on the Velcro ?

Premier Icon ajantom
    Subscriber

You can buy it with double-sided tape already on.
    A lot of people use the fluffy/soft side of velcro on bikes to stop chains hitting stays, etc.
    Make sure plastic is clean and trim to fit. It’s pretty strong glue, so doesn’t cone loose.
    Just gives an extra layer of protection between plastic and helitape.

Premier Icon iainc
    Subscriber

Great, thanks, have ordered some strips my of it and will use that on top of either the 3M mastic tape, or the stuff that comes with the guard, whichever is thicker looking.

I seem to read a lot about this tube-eating mudguard. Design-flaw? Nature of the beast?

Premier Icon failedengineer
    Subscriber

The paint on the carbon stays on my bike has been damaged by the cable ties, not the mudhugger itself. This time I’m using a double layer of 3m helicopter tape.

Premier Icon cardo
    Subscriber

I’ve run a mudhugger on the rear of my Singular for the last 2 Winters with just the supplied helitape and using all the cable ties and it’s been fine.
    Remove it as soon as the Chilterns dry out and refit for the Winter.
    The tape is doing the job and showing a minor scuff mark from the mudhugger…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.