Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Rear Maxxis tyre for Swinley Forest and Tail Centres
  • Heckler_rider
    Free Member

Hi there,

Could anyone give me a recommendation for a rear tyre for my Heckler please?
    I have just bought some Stans ZTR rims with Hope 2 hubs to drop a bit of weight from my bike and will be setting these up tubeless.
    I have already settled on a 2.3 High Roller for the front, but I just can’t decide what to get for the rear. It will be a 2.1 but I just don’t know which model to go for?

Thanks in advance

soobalias
    Free Member

crossmark

rootes1

in 29er flavour I like the look of the new Specialized Ground Controls

PaulD
    Free Member

I ride Swinley regularly.

In the ‘summer’ I use Kenda Klimax-Lites and Kharisma-Lites, in the ‘winter’ I use a Blue Groove front and Nevegal rear (Stick-Es) and am impressed with them all.

Trying Schwalbe Freds and Rons for the summer this year.

I could go on with a very long list of what I have been unimpressed with over the years, but most of them are fortunately no longer available.

PaulD

Heckler_rider
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies fellers. I fancy the crosmark but am a bit worried it will be man enough for the job. Guess I will just have to try it and find out.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Larsen TT is a good alternative to the crossmark. Has a little more bite, but is smaller volume though.

mttm
    Free Member

2.1″ Crossmark is a fast, low tread tyre – summer only, really. Consider a 2.1″ Advantage instead. This has a deeper tread and a good edge tread for cornering. Both are a little fragile – the 120tpi carcass on the Exception tyres is nice and light, but isn’t the toughest thing in the world. This can be an issue for tubeless use, as minor sidewall damage can be a pain.

Or try a 2.25″ Crossmark. This is a very different beast to the 2.1″, with a much deeper tread all round, plus the tougher 60tpi carcass. Also uses the 60a Maxpro compound (the 2.1″ uses 62a).

Personally, I’d go with 2.25″ Advantages front and rear at this time of year. 🙂

Heckler_rider
    Free Member

Oh crikey, decisions, decisions.
    I thought I had it wrapped up with the Crossmark and now the Advantage front and rear sounds like it could be a better plan.
    To many blinking choices LOL

scud
    Free Member

At the moment mate, a Bontrager Mud X, good grip in all the goo and allows you to stick to the centre of the trail and not ride around the edges like everyone seems to be doing as they are frightened of the mud, making the trails wider and wider!

Reluctant
    Free Member

Agree with the Maxxis eXceptions being fragile, but some great treads and compounds. I rid eSwinley and trailcentres and find Ignitors spot on all year round. In the drier months i switch the rear to a Larsen TT or Larsen MiMo for a bit more speed. Crossmarks are good too – can’t go far wrong with any of them 😀

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I found a 2.1 was very narrow on the back of my Heckler.

I do love the Ardent/Crossmark collaboration, but mainly on my Singlespeed and Hardtail (In the summer..)

Currently loving Bontrager XR4s..

In a 2.3 on the Rear..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Can we relegate badly done faux tilt-shift to the same status as staining bits of paper with tea and singeing the edges to make them look old by year history pupils?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    Can we relegate badly done faux tilt-shift to the same status as staining bits of paper with tea and singeing the edges to make them look old by year history pupils?

Yeah, apologies for that, was dicking around on my eyephone, and appear to have deleted the orgional..

Pic removed, so no furth offense can occur.. 😳

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

😀 😆

gaberin
    Free Member

anyone know if there is a maximum tyre width for dt xr 4.2s? What is it?
    🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I ran 2.35 maxxis on mine, the rim was mullered from Peak district rocks in a few rides, but it survived.

stevepitch
    Free Member

Spesh Eskars 2.3 2bliss all year round for me no probs what so ever. I ran a swampthing for a couple of rides and its great but not worth dragging about imho

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Rear Maxxis tyre for Swinley Forest and Tail Centres’ is closed to new replies.