Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Rear maxxis for winter,?
  • jree
    Free Member

Got DHF on front and torn between DHR and Aggressor to go out back on the hardtail. Any help? I’m down to one bike so an all rounder really.

isoo
    Free Member

I recently swapped out a 2.5 Aggressor. It was slippery on most wet things, hard or soft. I guess it’s down to whether you prefer the hot sweaty feeling of working too hard, or the cold sweaty feeling of fearing for your life.

jree
    Free Member

Not a massive fan of either!

I’ve tried HRII but feel they plot to kill you suddenly. Maybe DHR then!

VanHalen

Something soft compound. Or just accept it will be slippery. I run dhfs all year round front and rear. Dhr looks to have decent pedal paddles. An assgai with the intermediate smallknobs cut might be good too.

chiefgrooveguru

DHR2 is the best all-conditions rear tyre you can buy. Lots of choices in compound, carcass and width but none of them are bad in the wet or mud. I prefer the Exo Dual 2.3 as it’s also fast enough for summer and tough enough for my mediocre riding.

chakaping
    Free Member

DHR2, easy choice.

pothead
    Free Member

DHR2

jree
    Free Member

Brilliant. Thanks a lot. DHR ordered.
    Can put it on the front with my SS on the back in the summer too.

Northwind

Another DHR2 here. Grippy enough, rolls alright, and slides really nicely too when it goes, which is just about as important as total grip.

kelvin

DHR2

jjprestidge
    Free Member

DHR on the back and either a Shorty or Assegai on the front is the best all round combo IMO.

JP

honourablegeorge

I’d go DHR2, but if you really want something faster rolling, the Dissector works well. Better braking than an Aggressor (not hard, tbf) and better cornering knobs too, but rolls well. I’m sure I’ll take it off soon and put a DHR2 on, but there’s no way I’d have kept an Aggressor on until now.

tb927
    Free Member

Sorry for slight thread hijack….but would DHR2 back in 2.3 dual compound, and the fatter 2.4 in 3C up front work ok? I guess this would mean a squarer back tyre than the front and needing more lean to get on the front’s sideknobs…which sounds like a really bad idea, but maybe it’d be fine??? (it’s for a hardtail)

RichBowman

Sorry – thread hijack…

Does anyone know where to get a dissector from? Can’t see anyone stocking them in the UK…

Interested in trying one – DHR II WT is great, but like an anchor. Is the 2.3 that different?

Cheers,

Rich

honourablegeorge

I got my Dissector from R2-bike.com

fossy

I really rate my Minion DHF/DHR2’s and they have been a great all round tyre for all year use.

pothead
    Free Member

Interested in trying one – DHR II WT is great, but like an anchor. Is the 2.3 that different?

Currently using a 2.3 DHR2, 3c doubledown with a Shorty 2.5 exo 3c on the front, no complaints so far

chiefgrooveguru

“Interested in trying one – DHR II WT is great, but like an anchor. Is the 2.3 that different?“

I think the dual compound 2.3 is miles faster than the 2.4 in the same compound – quick enough I’m happy enough to use it in the summer rather than a Minion SS. The knobs are far bigger and more widely spaced on the 2.4

davewalsh
    Free Member

I quite like the dual compound Rekon as a decent winter rear tyre, rolls better than the DHR and copes well with everything apart from the very worst mud.

joebristol

The 2.3 dhr2 is much less draggy than the 2.4. Both my bikes actually have exo 3c 2.3 DHR2’s on the rear for the winter. Roll ok, brake well, get drive through mud ok.

The 2.4wt grips well but just made my bike feel so sluggish.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Rear maxxis for winter,?’ is closed to new replies.