• This topic has 26 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by fooman.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Rear lights
  • Merak

I lost my nearly new Exposure Trace-R yesterday going down Glen Ogle.

It was the thick end of £40 and tbh I wasn’t that impressed with it. I need a replacement in true STW fashion what do you use?

joebristol

I’ve always found my Moon Nebula decent. You can mount it on a seat post on a saddle bag loop or bolt it to your saddle rails. Rechargeable – had mine quite a few years now – and it’s had lots of wet commuting.

seriousrikk

Second for the Moon – any of their strip lights are good. I have one clipped to my pack but have also run it on the saddle rails.

Live also got a Leyzene strip drive that is bright and works well.

Neither of them are coming off easily.

Merak

Appreciated both. Will check the moon out.👌

onehundredthidiot

Yep moon good.
    Knog blinder 9er is a bright small bit of kit.

supernova

I like the Moon strip lights too. Lost my Garmin Varia between FodD and Scotland somewhere and replaced it with a Moon – feels very secure wherever it’s mounted.

martinhutch

Another vote for the moon light. I have it strapped to the rear vents on my helmet.

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

Moon nebula or the planet x knock off have been good for me. The saddle bracket has been good and very secure.

slowoldman

Erm, TraceR.

lardman
    Free Member

@martinhutch

Another vote for the moon light. I have it strapped to the rear vents on my helmet.

This is exactly what i’ve done. Very visible and there regardless of which bike i’m riding.
    The moon lights are generally very good and bright for the money.

Merak

There’s a clear winner. £7 postage at Planet X is a bit salty mark you.

Watty

Agreed, four quid light – seven quid postage.

cp

There’s a clear winner. £7 postage at Planet X is a bit salty mark you.

Agreed, four quid light – seven quid postage

Code PXFREECSPOST gets you free post.

Watty

It does indeed, cheers cp. 👍

Merak

@cp 😎

aide

What moon light are people putting in their helmets? Sounds a very good idea to have as a 2nd option

pampmyride
    Free Member

Just testing a Rockbros smart rear light Q5. Rechargable, brake light senses motion & works. Secondary light has auto off in daylight if req. Or set to all on.. Was £14 from Aliexpress.

gs_triumph

I’ve been using a bontrager flare RT for a couple of years now.
    Links up to my garmin head unit so it switches on when I power the head unit up. Battery life etc also displayed on garmin.

And they weigh nothing.

£34 at sigma just now.

flannol
    Free Member

Knog are brilliant imo

As are many other suggestions above!

heebyjeeby

The problem I found with the Exposure rear lights (I had the more expensive one cannot remember what its called) is that they popped out the brackets when using the dropper….this ultimately how I lost mine – nearly a hundred quids worth pinged off into the undergrowth somewhere never to be seen again

ayjaydoubleyou

I’ve got one of these (or probably an out of date version of it)
    ZECTO DRIVE REAR

Thats not coming off the seat post unless the whole rubber strap degrades into pieces.

It goes around the seat tube/the static part of the dropper though, so short people on 29ers may have issues with the wheel blocking the light. Can also clip to a bag if you wear one or on particularly foul muddy nights I have clipped it to my waistband

thorpie
    Free Member

Moon Shield X, nice light and no complaints. Had a Moon Shield before it, which lasted years.

Merak

PX Dogstars (I ordered X2) arrived yesterday.

Reassuringly retina searlingly bright. For less than a fiver I’m over the moon. Do you see what I’ve done there?

No more Exposure for me. A fool and his money etc..

ChrisL

I have a Moon Nebula too. It seems pretty good. My one grumble is that the switch is on the light side of it, and when I mount it to my backpack it often gets knocked on when I put the pack down. Having the button on the opposite face would be better, but other than that it seems good.

Watty

Ditto Merak (although I only ordered the one), fantastic for the dosh.

fooman

I’ve got a few of the PLANET X COB-28 USB R a little more than Dogstar but they also work great nice and bright, alloy casing, still good battery life even after a couple of years.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.