Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Rear Light Choice
  • Stevo210
    Free Member

Narrowed down to 4…..as Im after a bright light that will get me noticed and hopefully give me some more confidence instead of cringing at every car that tries to clip my elbows on my commute.

Researching these lights throws up the usual ‘brilliant lights’ or ‘avoid like the plague’ comments, but having narrowed down to the few that I think may fit the bill, thought it may be easier to choose from those that have owned them.

Currently running a Smart 1/2 watt which is great apart from I breathed on it the other day and then it wouldn’t turn off. So I put some Vaseline on the seal and water still got in. Splurged clear silicone around the seal, water still got in. So removed the gasket seal and replaced with a good helping of silicone all the way round, it managed a week and now water’s in and it wont turn off.

Choices
    NiteRider Cherry Bomb
    Moonshield 60
    Exposure Flare
    Fibre Flare

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve got several smart lights, they’ve been going for years, i’ve never had a problem with any of them.

but i keep hearing about how crap they are – what am i doing wrong?

anyway…

i got suckered by the cheap helmets at on-one, and on my way out i bought a ‘phaart booster’ for £5.

f’me it’s bright.

Stevo210
    Free Member

That looks very much like a Smart light to me…cheaper though.

I just cant do with an unreliable light going out without me knowing it just because its raining one day.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I run a fibre flare as its pretty big and side visibility is good. Not very bright though, so run it with an electron backupz USB chargeable rear as well.

boxbuster
    Free Member

Had a Niterider cherry bomb and it had a habit of turning itself off over bumps which I wouldn’t notice til I stopped! I’ve got a Magicshine one now that I run off the same battery as the front one with a splitter cable and its top notch, so bright when it’s flashing that cars tend to give you more room. I ride on windy, high banked, unlit country roads and I’ve not been knocked off yet.

Edit: Also had had it entirely underwater on two occasions and it still works fine!

wwaswas

I got one of the posh Leyzene ones – like the Exposure but usb rechargeable.

Bounced out of the holder on my cross bike somewhere on the South Downs Way on Sunday morning.

My adice is get somethign cheap that’s held on properly if you don;t want to lose 40 quid 🙁

Stevo210
    Free Member

Yeah the Fibre Flare’s do look good and the fixing would work in a few places.
    I’m drawn to the Exposure flare because its tiny and bright but Ive heard a few bad things about them to not being the most reliable, maybe that shouldn’t have made my shortlist.

Stevo210
    Free Member

Thanks Boxbuster, that’s something I definitely don’t want. Reliable, fit and forget quality, why’s it so hard to find haha. I’ll have a look at the Magicshine stuff, but I didn’t really want an extra battery pack.

Bounced out of the holder on my cross bike somewhere

Not great that.

wwaswas

no, went back to look once I realised it had gone but nowhere to be found – lots of walkers about so maybe someone had picked it up or it had just gone a long way off the path.

willyboy
    Free Member

I like these Cateye 1100 as the seem to last forever (i’ve had two for over 4 years- i think one is actually 7 years old) and they allow you to have a non flashing and flashing in the same light. They also offer great visibility from the sides, which most lights don’t. They also seem pretty waterproof -i’ve not had any issues with them.

billytinkle
    Free Member

I’ve got an Exposure Flare and a Moon Shield 60. The Flare no longer gets a look.

The Flare doesn’t stay on the flashing mode (heard of others that also do this) and eats batteries very quickly. Looks and feels well built and suspect it’s the more weather proof of the two, but that’s it.

To my eye the Shield 60 is brighter, puts out a better spread of light and is more visible. It’s also rechargable and mounts very nicely to the seat post. The build quality is good (only exception is the very flimsy rubber cover over the charging point – being very careful with mine). Also been very weather proof so far.

Stevo210
    Free Member

I’ve got an Exposure Flare and a Moon Shield 60. The Flare no longer gets a look.

The Flare doesn’t stay on the flashing mode (heard of others that also do this) and eats batteries very quickly. Looks and feels well built and suspect it’s the more weather proof of the two, but that’s it.

To my eye the Shield 60 is brighter, puts out a better spread of light and is more visible. It’s also rechargable and mounts very nicely to the seat post. The build quality is good (only exception is the very flimsy rubber cover over the charging point – being very careful with mine). Also been very weather proof so far. Thanks for the comparison, thats helped a lot. The doubts on the Exposure light are becoming to big now. Interesting that they’ve just brought out the Blaze, that looks bizarre and is way past my budget. Flare to be discontinued soon I reckon.

TomB

Having been happy with my c and b seen front light, I’ve gone for their rear light with cable splitter off the same battery. Just ordered so can’t yet comment on quality…..

Clong
    Free Member

The flare is okay, but the main thing that annoyed me was the batteries, particularly when the charger broke. After a years commuting the threads on the lens have started to crack. Ive since stumped up for a hope district 3, which seems to be somewhat over engineered but if it lasts then its worth it.

c&b seen lights do a rear light which is very bright for about £30

Waderider
    Free Member

Moon Shield here, over a year of heavy use and still going strong. Brilliant light.

billytinkle
    Free Member

The only other light I have that’s up to the visibility and brightness of the Flare and Shield 60 is a Cateye TL-LD610.

I’ve not used it yet, but if it holds up in wet weather and doesn’t chew batteries it’ll be up there with the moon – shame it’s not rechargable – think it takes AA or AAA batteries though unlike the odd size battery (to me) of the Flare.

Stevo210
    Free Member

a hope district 3, which seems to be somewhat over engineered but if it lasts then its worth it.

cant justify that kind of outlay as good as Im sure it is. Plus it wont fit my aero post 🙁

Goz
    Free Member

hope district, night and day.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I use two Cateye TL-LD1100’s on ‘flashing’ mode. That’s 20 super0bright LEDs.

They really are bright (100,000+ mcd, whatever that means 🙂 ), and so far have proven to be totally waterproof.

They also have very good side visibility.

£30 each, so not cheap, but well worth it.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Moonshield here
    Do not buy the exposure heap o’shite

Stevo210
    Free Member

They really are bright (100,000+ mcd, whatever that means ), and so far have proven to be totally waterproof.

They also have very good side visibility.

£30 each, so not cheap, but well worth it. Cateye’s are getting some good feedback.

Stevo210
    Free Member

Moonshield here

Do you use the belt clip at all, might have to go on my saddle bag.

SimonR

Moon shield 60 for me too – not cheap and the first one failed (but was replaced quickly no questions asked) but the replacement is into it’s second winter and has survived numerous soakings.

Got a cheap one to strap to my pack as a bit of a back-up in addition to this.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Same here although one row on flash/one on constant on each light. Been using the pair since November 2007, yep 5 years, and never had an issue with them. I do use mudgaurds though so they are protected from spray but get plenty of rain from above. Thats 5 years of commuting all through winter in all weathers and if they ever fail I would buy again.

I also have a fibre flare on the seatstay, first one was replaced under warranty last years and I don’t expect this one to last the winter. Water gets into the connections and they rust.

Just checked my wiggle account, bought the first cateye October 2006, 2nd one 5 years ago tomorrow. I might buy it a present 🙂

higthepig
    Free Member

Another vote for the Cateye TL1100, used for 5 months in all weathers and clag on Cross bike and MTB with no issues. It is ‘kin bright if both sets of LEDs are lit up, generally I only use one row unless it is really gopping.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Fibre Flares are good but tend to eat batteries.

I use mine with a Light and Motion Vis180 which I can’t fault beyond the price!

Clobber
    Free Member

I run Fibre flares and think they are great, 100% reliable so far and always get good comments from others on visibility.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I use one of those cateye loop things on the front, would also recommend, great visibility for its size.

IA

Cateye holy handgrenade here too, plus a fibre flare clipped on the back of my collar so it hangs down my back for some higher level vis (set on flashing).

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Another Cateye 1100 user here – it’s screwed onto my rear rack, so outside practically all day, every day. It must be over 5 years old, and has just started to play up – goes on or off over bumps – must have a look at it, probably just a loose battery. I hope.
    I do now also use a Smart on the seatpost too, brilliantly bright.

woody74

Make sure you get something that is bloody bright and good for car drivers to see. I know that sounds obvious but driving home last week the majority of bikes I passed had rear lights that you could hardly see in the drizzle let alone stand out. There are too many of these stylish lights that are mini sized and are form over function. I think you want something that every driver going past you says “christ thats bright” They might not like it but at least they will see you

freeagent
    Free Member

Smart Lunar here – R1 and R2, swapped between the road bike and MTB.
    I’ve got them pretty wet and so far they’ve not failed on me.

Stevo210
    Free Member

Make sure you get something that is bloody bright and good for car drivers to see. I know that sounds obvious but driving home last week the majority of bikes I passed had rear lights that you could hardly see in the drizzle let alone stand out. There are too many of these stylish lights that are mini sized and are form over function. I think you want something that every driver going past you says “christ thats bright” They might not like it but at least they will see you

+1 Couldn’t agree more. There’s so many riders round my way like that, it’s ridiculous. Apart from it being dangerous, its doing nothing for biker/motorist relations. I saw one guy the other week tootling along with no lights and just a builders high vis vest.

scaredypants

I think you want something that every driver going past you says “christ thats bright” They might not like it but at least they will see you

[quote]+1 Couldn’t agree more[/quote]I couldn’t agree less
    If it’s that bright, they’ll notice you when they’re well behind you but then they’ll actively not look directly at you as they get closer. Great, unless you’re swerving round potholes, or signalling or something

I’d suggest a big reflector but a relatively small output

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’m thinking of getting one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270821340921?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

bodging up a red filter/diffuser and lashing it to my seatpost.

TiRed

Cateye Rapid 1 on the seatpost in “mad flashing” mode and a PDW mudguard reflector LED light on constant

When rack is used there is also a BM Toplight.

Plus….

Respro Scotchlite ankle bands FTW!

Stevo210
    Free Member

Still more the merrier for me….

sweaman2
    Free Member

Cateye “hand grenade” here as well. Has worked for years with no problem; only issue is that it is AA battery not rechargeable. I also have a lumicycle tail light which is ok but that needs you to have a lumicycle front as well really.

gonzy
    Free Member

i use a a few cateye lights on my bike. i’ve got one attached to the seat post, one attached to the camelbak and cateye loop attached to the side of the camelbak. i also run one at the front in addition to my c&b seen 1200lumen light.
    i’ve never had a problem with cateye lights, i even put one in the washing machine accidentally and it still works!!
    having said that my first proper off road light was a smart and it was brilliant and was only let down by the heavy lead battery!!
    if you really want to be noticed on the road you could always go for the 500 lumen rear light C&B Seen are selling on their website its about £30 or the commuter kit for about £75 which includes the 1200 lumen front light.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Rear Light Choice’ is closed to new replies.