Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rear Hub Suggestions?
  • johnw1984
    Free Member

So I’m looking for a replacement rear hub on my SC Reserve 27.

Currently got a knackered DT350 on there and after this one, I don’t want another. Functionally been great for about 3 years, then I needed to change the bearings… Ended up shattering to the tool to remove the star nut thing, also damaged the axle.

I really don’t want to go through that again with another one, so looking for alternatives. At the moment Hope are winning (need a 28h 6 bolt, boost with a Sram XD freehub) with the price coming in around £170.

Are there any alternatives that are cheaper or similar priced that are in stock I should be looking at?

TheGhost
    Free Member

If you can find on you could look at the bontrager hubs. They are 28 hole and you can add 3 extra pawls to get 108 points of engagement.

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/equipment/cycling-components/bike-hubs-and-hub-parts/bontrager-rapid-drive-54-boost-rear-hub/p/26160/?colorCode=black

johnw1984
    Free Member

I had those on my Slash and did the upgrade. I was a big fan too, but I didn’t think they were available as a separate hub?

I’m keeping my eye out for second hand stuff, but it seems there’s nothing suitable about at the moment.

joebristol

Hope Pro4 is a similar level
    Hub to the 350 you’ve broken – but as I understand it the bearings are easy to change. Marginally heavier but only a few grams – a lot louder freehub click if that matters to you.

Bitex are probably worth a look too – I believe they’re a similar quality and a bit cheaper / quieter than Hope. I suggested one to my mate to replace a centrelock Shimano zee that the axle had snapped on. He’s found it great so far and ordered from the below website.

https://bitexhubs.co.uk/

johnw1984
    Free Member

Nice one cheers Joe.

I did have a look at Bitex and it might be an option (stock depending). I don’t mind a louder freehub to be honest, so that’s fine.

I think the choice is basically Bitex or Hope. I had a look at Super Star, but it looks like they only have 32h hubs.

joebristol

For that sort of budget you’re probably right. Novatec are cheaper but it seems sometimes you can get parts for them and sometimes you can’t. Depending on who supplies them.

If you feel spendier than I quite fancy an Industry 9 hydra rear hub – sounds like you’re going 100mph when you’re walking along pushing it. Expensive though.

I’ve got a Pro 4 on one bike which has been fine so far. Had it a couple of years and think the main bearings might just have getting a bit gritty. On the other bike I’ve got an Erase Components hub with a titanium freehub on it. Too early to comment on longevity of the at one as it’s only been on the bike a month or so. Sounds interesting – at slow speed it very quiet – but at high speed it wails like a banshee.

BearBack
    Free Member

I’d have that 350 off you rather than seeing it chucked in the bin 😉

johnw1984
    Free Member

I do like the looks of the I9 hubs, but they’re quite spendy! I’m not adverse to throwing money at bike stuff, but I’d have to wait to justify one of those 🙂

@BearBack
    I’ll keep you in mind when I strip it off the wheel.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rear Hub Suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.