Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • "Rear" disc brake on front wheel?
  • st66

Maybe a stupid question, but is there any reason why I can’t mount a rear disc brake on the front wheel?
    Other than the length of cable supplied is there anything different about the front and rear calipers?
    I just need a front brake and am considering buying the SLX m675 brakes from Rose, but these will be “euro” handed, so was thinking I could buy a righthand lever rear brake and mount it on the front and trim the cable to length etc.

njee20
    Free Member

+20 rotor size on the front – a 140mm rear caliper is a 160mm front one.

I think 😕

rocketman
    Free Member

No probs the calipers are the same.

Shimano brake hoses are quite easy to shorten with a bit of care or £20 max at the lbs if you prefer to let someone else do it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tinsy
    Free Member

nah calipers are the same…

njee20 that 20mm bit is just the rear triangle mounts are in a different position to the fork mounts. They did that just to make it a pain in the bum… (probably, to get stronger position on the traingle really though)

njee20
    Free Member

Well yes, and these days you can change adapters, but if the OP is buying a rear brake to fit to the front he’ll need a new adapter as well (unless he has one).

Ie you can’t buy a pair of rear 160mm brakes and fit them to the front and rear.

st66

Thanks for the replies.

I’ll be getting a bigger rotor too, so will need an adapter for that anyway.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘"Rear" disc brake on front wheel?’ is closed to new replies.