Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rear derailleur issues
  • mrmrhill
    Free Member

I took my derailleur off to clean it and and after replacing it on the hanger and putting a new cable on the indexing is massively out, like 5 or 6 cigs out. . Does it need reindexing or have I missed something glaring obvious being the idiot I am. Cheers in advance

simondbarnes

If you’ve put a new cable on it then yes, you’ll need to set the cable tension correctly.

mickolas
    Free Member

Apologies if I am missing the point here but be sure to have the shifters and mech synced to the same gear when fitting the cable. Top gear (smallest cog) being easiest because this will give a little slack in the cable.

You shouldn’t need to touch the screws unless you have change the cassette. Just the cable.

dovebiker

Did you release the shifter fully before removing the cable? Have you clamped the cable on the right side of the screw? Plenty of online tutorials on how to index a mech – you should only need to re-adjust the tension, not stop screws.

mrmrhill
    Free Member

This is what I thought the H & L screws should be in the same spot. I must have missed a stage when taking the cable off

mrmrhill
    Free Member

There’s a chance I hadn’t shifted to the smallest cog when releasing the cable. I have another look as as you’ve confirmed I didn’t think I needed to change the limit screws again

JAG

My usual mistake is to not fit the derailleur ‘stop’ behind the notch in the frame before tightening the derailleur bolt to attach it to the frame.

Happens almost every time :o)

mrmrhill
    Free Member

Sorted thanks all. Not shifted right down…..now handle bar anchored dropper post play 🤦‍♂️😂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rear derailleur issues’ is closed to new replies.