Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Rear Deraileurs
  • bloodynora
    Free Member

What are the pro's and cons of long/med/short rear mechs? Are there any noticaeable differences between them or does it depend on what type of riding you do or how light they are?

I'm in the market for one but would like to keep things light so a short rear mech is lighter, right? but is it better??

Dumb question alert btw 🙂

nuke

Are you running a triple chainset at the front? If so, you'll need medium or long.

joolsburger
    Free Member

It's supposed to relate to the number of chainrings and size of them. So a triple with a 44t should run a long cage.

For a good few years I ran a short cage XTR mech with a triple and had no problems though.

bloodynora
    Free Member

I intend to run a double chainring up front (22/36) so a medium or short cage rear mech would suffice then?

schmiken

Yep, depends on cassette too though! If you're running an 11-32 or 11-34 I'd recommend a medium, but if you're running a road cassette a short would be fine.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Have a look at the shimano tech documents for them. They'll tell you the total capacity and the max sprocket size they can cope with.

bloodynora
    Free Member

Thanks for that chaps.

Sram XO med cage on CRC looks quite a reasonable price so might be tempted to get that

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Rear Deraileurs’ is closed to new replies.