Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rear caliper track world
  • bsims
    Free Member

After my vibrating brake post the other day, I have decided that I am fed up with washing and sanding brake pads. I want to test another STW posters idea (in another thread again) that the squealing is caused by tiny leaks in the caliper.

Are there any pit falls I should look out for before I make a mess, or any tips the hive mind can share?

tthew

Buy some of those 40quid Clarke’s brake sets then you can be absolutely sure there’s no contamination left from the previously possibly leaky one.

Yak

Loads of noise and no power? Definitely not lube overspray/ diesel/ suncream/ chip fat etc? Happening again with a fresh set of pads? Then it’s the caliper. Bin it and replace.

Or there was a thread about someone replacing piston seals with some success.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bsims
    Free Member

@tthew. I have some new rotors and pads

@Yak
    . I have a new caliper ready to go on. Yes, noise and no power. The issue is that once I  clean the brakes it last a few weeks to a month and then starts again. I assumed it was road grime and diesel filth being on the back of the car and frequent short road trips to the shops. The front also does this but more occasionally eg every 6 months or so when a good thrash and hard brake will stop it squealing or if not a clean.

Yak

Ok. Do the swap. Assuming it’s a shimano?

Tips? Fit the caliper with everything in place on the bike, then take the whole lot off and hang it so the hose is straight. Bleed however you want. Gravity or bottom up and you should be good. I go bottom up as it’s quicker, but nothing wrong with top down.

bsims
    Free Member

Yeah, m615 lever, m6000 caliper. Thanks, I will get onto that tomorrow.

bsims
    Free Member

OK, so the caliper is replaced, it was a messy job as the instructions matched the old caliper bleed valve location and the new M6000 has a little cap underneath.

The braking is marginally better than before but i have oil leaking out of the bleed valve on the underside. What have i done wrong?

Also does red shimano fluid damage paintwork?

Yak

Hmm not sure. The caliper bleed nipple doesn’t leak once nipped up. It can hold a smidge of oil though in the hollow bit. I help it out with a 1.5mm hex key and a rag.

No, the shimano oil doesn’t damage paint. Still wash or wipe it off though.

bsims
    Free Member

Right.  Stopped leak. Rebled them, could there have been too much fluid in them first time round? It was pushing the bung out, so it must have been something i did wrong.

Brakes work with power, but pistons seem to be much further out than before. I have never noticed this before.even with worn pads.

Yak

Good news.

Did you use the yellow bleed block? That stops over-filling.

bsims
    Free Member

Yep, used the block, brakes work , just the calipers seem to be sticking out a bit. It will takes a couple of weeks at least to see if this was the cause of the squealing. I suspect it was as hardly any fluid came out of the brakes and they were set up properly by LBS about 6 months ago during a service.

Thanks for your help Yak.

bsims
    Free Member

Update on this squealy brake fix. Worked for 6 months or so and then I started to get the squeal and loss of power again. Changed rotors, pads etc after, washing, cooking and burning etc.

Last Tuesday the caliper seals ‘exploded’ with fluid leaking out of every caliper orifice riding FOD. Got the LBS to fix, so will see if its 3rd caliper lucky!

joebristol

If it does change brand to one where the caliper seals don’t poo themselves on a regular basis.

bsims
    Free Member

I’d like Hope but I cant justify that expenditure on the main bike at present, so definitely out on this one, the general purpose/ run around. The most annoying part of this is that I could have bought a set, with all the money I’ve spent on parts and fitting over the last couple of years. Also its only this bike, two others with Shimano and One with Tektro have been fine.

nixie

Bin them out for something cheap like the basic maguras (£40 an end). Or the Clarks brakes. Problem solved then.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Rear caliper track world’ is closed to new replies.