Rear brake makes bike frame vibrate/reverberate

Home Forum Bike Forum Rear brake makes bike frame vibrate/reverberate

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Rear brake makes bike frame vibrate/reverberate
  • robinlaidlaw

I have tried resetting the caliper position on the mount (spinning wheel, braking, then tightening the bolts/screw). But this doesn’t really help.

Getting the caliper aligned needs a lot more care than that, despite what Avid may claim. You’ll need to align it carefully by eye until the gap to the pads either side of the disc is even when the brake is off and ensure that the disc is running straight and not catching the pads. Once you have it like that and spot on you can maybe rule that out.
    Other things to check are that the disc is on the right way round (look for the rotation direction arrows) and that the disc / pads aren’t contaminated with something (did the brake work o.k previously? Did you make completely sure that you didn’t get any brake fluid on the disc or pads during bleeding?)
    Are the bolts holding the adapter to the frame and caliper to the adapter tight? Is the wheel QR or axle in tight? Are the screws holding the disc tight?
    If it’s never been right you could try new pads and cleaning the disc, or possibly as a least shot, as different design or size of disc.

fergal

Warped disc most probably.

PS. anecdotal evidence, new bike, brake judder/vibration in the frame, tried everything nothing worked, new disc and voila, sorted.

DON’T put WD40 on the pads like one of our customers did last week. It stopped the vibration but not him.

mattrgee

I had an odd issue with my Stumperjumper similar to the Op’s. After trying all the usual stuff I cable tied the brake hose to he chain stay which cured the problem. It seemed the hose what vibrating against the chain stay which was then being amplifed by the rest of the frame.

When centering the caliper look out for the rotor being pushed to one side by one of the pistons when applying the brake. If this is happening then either the caliper isn’t centered, or the pistons aren’t balanced. If the latter, check out Hope’s video on how to balance pistons. I know yours aren’t Hope brakes but the principle applies to any caliper. Here’s the video:

Centralise Caliper/Pistons

Most people don’t ‘get’ what he’s doing atfer watching it so it’s worth watching it a few times.

plus one

Sure you’ve checked the obvious but I had similar and my disc was a smidge loose 🙁

Nipped up all good ..

jaymoid

I’ve got a whyte 905, and some elixir 5s. When I brake (usually towards the harder end of the scale) it causes the frame of the bike to vibrate. It’s a pretty horrible and a bit off-putting sound and feeling, so I’d like to know if anyone else has had this and what they did to stop it.

Any ideas please?

I have tried resetting the caliper position on the mount (spinning wheel, braking, then tightening the bolts/screw). But this doesn’t really help.

Bleeding the brakes doesn’t make much difference.

I am very tempted to replace them with some shimano brakes as I have just put a set on a different bike and they are awesome, however I have sram shifters and currently use matchmakers – and the SRAM shifter clamps seem pretty rare/unavailable at the mo (and third party ones are a rip off). So this isn’t really an option at the moment, plus – generally – they are ok, it’s just this one issue!

Thanks in advance…

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

My Cove had this, until I centered them proper like t’Hope video.

The vibration went right through me nads and was quite disturbing. Shame it wasn’t more pleasant really.

Premier Icon dangeourbrain
    Subscriber

Had the same problem with my ventana, two rubber washers on the caliper mounting bolts to damp the vibration solved the problem instantly, as did different sized rotors. The braking seemed to harmonise perfectly with my frame and it was very annoying

hypnotoad

Try a little electical tape between the pads and pistons, the the pistons and caliper is already centered and parallel

TimP

I had this with BB7s and a OO 456. It was not too noticable off road but used around bridal ways etc it would start of gently humming and I braked harder it began to resonate through the whole bike through the seapost and into the bollockular area. Like Dez, I did not find it pleasant. It all went away when I changed to Hope brakes, so I have no idea what caused it. Asked Brant and it didnt seem to be a common thing with 456’s

globalti

If a disc brake vibrates and makes a nasty squawking sound it means the pads are contaminated with oil or brake fluid. Put the pads in the dishwasher and clean the disc with alcohol or glass cleaner.

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

Jamie
    Jamie
    Jamie

(vibrating pads fix)

Premier Icon trusty
    Subscriber

Some bikes are more prone to it,my stumpy evo particularly. Tried all the above fixes,and in the end spesh admitted there was a problem and swapped the rotors for floating ones. Job done.

Premier Icon phiiiiil
    Subscriber

Mine did this until the weekend when I finally got round to changing the worn out wheel bearings. It’s nice and silent now… 🙂

jaymoid

Massive thanks for all the suggestions, I’m glad I’m not the only one and yes it’s hella annoying especially when sat down for the reasons DezB stated :D.

I have some spare fettling time tomorrow night so I will:

* Remove rotor, clean it with brake cleaner, reattach to torque and make sure no movement. (I have a spare Rotor I could try too actually).
    * Make sure the right way around
    * Check rotor for warping
    * Replace mount (as luck would have it I have another)
    * Replace pads
    * Re-centre calipers as per hope video, and ensure EXACTLY centre!
    * Check rear hub bearings ( I think they are solid though)

I’ve done this before to silence the prevuious squeeks but did nothing with the vibration issue.

If no luck I’ll consider securing the cable to the frame, or rubber washer mounts.

Thanks again, I’ll report back!

Premier Icon euain
    Subscriber

Pivot bearings? – my old StumpJumper was awful for this if the dropout pivot bearings had any play in them. Not sure if the Whyte has similar setup.

Edit – just googled the bike – it’s a hard tail so ignore my post! 😳

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

Hope mono mini do this if the pin holding the pads isn’t held securely. It’s not an unpleasant sensation through the saddle though 😳

robinlaidlaw

Remove rotor, clean it with brake cleaner,

Automotive brake cleaner isn’t good on bike brakes, it leaves little residue which burns off on car brakes but not on bikes. Meths is better on bike brakes or just a really good scrub with fairy liquid and wire wool then a good rinse.

Premier Icon porter_jamie
    Subscriber

i cleaned my disks with auto brake cleaner, and they started to make horrible honking noises, whereas they were silent before. tried everything, even new pads didnt help – in the end i bought a cheapo scouring pad and set to on the disk and now silent again.

jaymoid

^ Ahh good tips re the brake cleaner – ta!

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Automotive brake cleaner isn’t good on bike brakes

Not all brake cleaner is “automotive”.

I use this

Works well

dai21t

I found the avid mounting bolts were bent on my stumpy evo. Replaced them with titanium ones and was ok then. Have since replaced the entire brake with shimano zees. Lot quieter now.

qwerty

I had this on a Ventana frame, was the chainstay pivots, the frame insert for the bearing had ovalised causing play around the bearing and a ride ruining vibration.

jaymoid

Went for a long ride at the weekend. And I am very happy to report – problem solved! 😀

I think it was a combination of:
    – Snapped Avid CPS washer (hadn’t noticed this before!)
    – Old mount could have possibly been slightly warped, not visible to the eye.
    – Caliper alignment.

Amazing ride at the weekend, I love this bike. #26IsAlive

Massive thanks to everyone who posted and helped out above.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Rear brake makes bike frame vibrate/reverberate’ is closed to new replies.