Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Rear Brake Disk Problem with second Wheel set.
  • jacob46
    Free Member

hi, just received my lovely new Hope 29er flow wheels with new Rotors and rear cassette on rear.

obviously I ordered the same size rotor for rear BUT a different Brand! my original wheels have avid and my new wheels have shimano rotors(160mm)
    the front wheel I have no problem when swopping wheels over, pads don’t rub at all. The rear is rubbing on the part (don’t know the name of it) where the disc bolts too on my avid Brake caliper.
    I took some pictures and phone leisure lake where my set was from and sent them the pictures. the sales guy told I need to add a couple of spacer washers to bring the rotor away from the caliper.
    Is the norm when using different Brands?
    https://www.btcloud.bt.com/index.php#sidebar=true,redirect=true,view=folders

jacob46
    Free Member

sorry don’t know how to show picture like most of you.

JoeG
    Free Member

Link won’t work for me

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jacob46
    Free Member

anyone?

everyone
    Free Member

Pictures would definitely help. But yes you might have to shim the rotor.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

That link doesn’t work just asks me to log in

geoffj

the sales guy told I need to add a couple of spacer washers to bring the rotor away from the caliper.
    Is the norm when using different Brands?

Sounds like you just need to recenter the calliper. Loosen the bolts so the calliper can move from side to side, hold the lever so it bites and then retighten the bolts. If there isn’t enough play, then washers on the rotor will work, but you don’t want to pack it too much or it may foul somewhere.

Drac

Use imgur for pics cloud based hosting is crap for posting images. Imgur will even provide with the code you want to select Forum Bb code

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you want both sets of brakes to work then you need to make the rotors align, so shimming the rotors out sounds like the best plan.

Loosen the bolts so the calliper can move from side to side, hold the lever so it bites and then retighten the bolts.

Not the method to align all brakes!

Doing this will realign it for one of your wheels but put it out for the other. I assume from the second wheel set part you want to run both?

geoffj

Not the method to align all brakes!

But is likely to work in this instance and takes all of about 30 seconds to do.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If your trying to use 2 sets of wheels then it’s not going to work long term as you will have to do it each time you swap wheels, hope specify you align the caliper by the centre line not by the squeeze and tighten method, not sure on avids ideas.

jacob46
    Free Member

I was told by leisure lakes last night on phone if I use another washer to bring the caliper another 1/16th away from rotor it should solve the problem.

jacob46
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    If your trying to use 2 sets of wheels then it’s not going to work long term as you will have to do it each time you swap wheels, hope specify you align the caliper by the centre line not by the squeeze and tighten method, not sure on avids ideas.

It’s better than changing tyres 3 times a week!

garage-dweller

Jacob

Long term it is probably worthwhile shimming the rotor if you swap that often.

If you take that route you need to shim the rotor that is furthest inboard.

Is the caliper at the rear an IS caliper or post mount?

If it’s an IS frame and IS caliper and adjustment involves faffing with shims between caliper and frame then I would definitely be going down the rotor shim route. I have seen some online somewhere.

Nobby

I had the same issue – Shims on the rotor to get them both on the same alignment.

Loads available from Weldtite, fleabay or even Halfords in .2mm increments. If it’s a full mm or even two, Hope make specific spacers (should have those on CRC) at 1 & 2mm thicknesses.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Rear Brake Disk Problem with second Wheel set.’ is closed to new replies.