Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • Really? £60 for a shirt …
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Some my jeans are from GAP and are £40-£50. Having said that I wear through them in about 8 months.

😯

I’d be taking them back for a refund! How can you wear through a pair of jeans, in 8 months? They’re sposed to last years!

I just bought two pairs in Diesel this week. They were expensive but I like them and I can afford them so I bought them. I don’t care whether anyone else thinks they are good value or not.

Fine. As long as you realise you’re paying for the label, mostly.

PiknMix
    Free Member

If you don’t like the price of clothing then don’t buy it you muppet.

I hear George at Asda may be your cup of tea.

Decent clothes are expensive but then you can get jeans for £3 depends if you want to look a hobo or not really doesn’t it 😉

Coyote
    Free Member

Current favourite jeans are Mek. Got a couple of pairs from Canada last time I was over. Fit really well and seem to be better wearing than most others I’ve had. Cost about $180CAD each which is around £110. I like ’em.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Decent clothes are expensive

Another myth. Whilst it’s true you should

expect

to pay more for better quality, this doesn’t mean that if you pay more you will get better quality.

I hear George at Asda may be your cup of tea.

I’ve got a top from there that cost £10; just as good as stuff costing £30-40. Actually decent quality.

Once upon a time, there was an Emperor, who needed some new clothes….

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Fine. As long as you realise you’re paying for the label, mostly.

I think you’ll find I’m actually paying for the brand, which is a whole lot more than just a label, but you’re on the right lines 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think you’ll find I’m actually paying for the brand, which is a whole lot more than just a label

Explain please.

cinnamon_girl

Well, of course if we still had the mills working oop North …

I don’t understand how some of these clothes can get worn out in 8 months. What do you wear them for? Working on a construction site or something?

rossi46
    Free Member

Might i add my own pikey opinion?

Primark….no wait….. Primark do a great pair of jeans for £12, they’ve lasted 2 years of abuse and washing, the pockets are fine even with my jailers set of keys in em and best of all they’re comfy as a pair of Levi’s!
    They do a pair for £8 as well which i bought for riding my DJ bike in. They’ve survived dozens of spills.

Of course if you have to have a label, just visit your local car boot sale and bag some Levi’s or a Ben Sherman shirt (whatever takes your fancy) for a tenner.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand

I am paying for how I feel about the label. That’s the one line summary. Crazy eh?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Some people distinguish the psychological aspect, brand associations like thoughts, feelings, perceptions, images, experiences, beliefs, attitudes, and so on that become linked to the brand, of a brand from the experiential aspect.
    The experiential aspect consists of the sum of all points of contact with the brand and is known as the brand experience. The psychological aspect, sometimes referred to as the brand image, is a symbolic construct created within the minds of people and consists of all the information and expectations associated with a product or service.

Hmm, so you’re paying for a myth, then, rather than any real benefit then?

I don’t have a problem with that at all. I just choose not to buy into it myself, if I can help it.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

Another myth.

So your 20 quid peter storm cagoule will keep you as dry and warm as a £200 quid fully gore text breathable TNF. Berghaus, Rab etc? I sure as heck know what i would rather have in my pack when mapping the Scottish highlands.

I’ve got a top from there that cost £10; just as good as stuff costing £30-40. Actually decent quality.

Not knocking it at all, if the OP doesn’t want to pay for branded clothes I was offering a suggestion of a quality cheap alternative.

Flaperon

If you live in the South West, try Trago. Superdry jeans for £25, on their website £74.99.

Edric64
    Free Member

So your 20 quid peter storm cagoule will keep you as dry and warm

A cagoule is not made to keep you warm

Woody
    Free Member

For all those above who really believe that there is a direct correlation between price, quality and brand/label then I think you have swallowed the marketing bullshit, hook line and sinker!

£120+ for a pair of jeans – are you in The Only Way is Essex? 😆 🙄

Edric64
    Free Member

Fatface jeans are 1/2 price in their sale 25 quid at the moment

IanMmmm
    Free Member

I don’t have a problem with that at all. I just choose not to buy into it myself, if I can help it.

Fair enough.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Superdry is for chavs tho

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I din’t get that show. What was it all about? 😳

PiknMix
    Free Member

Edric 64 – Member

A cagoule is not made to keep you warm

valid point, it is supposed to keep you dry though being a rain mac and all and in my experience it doesn’t do it as well as my dedicated waterproofs, probably because the waterproof fabrics are expensive to develop and manufacture. so IMO you get what you pay for.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I buy Lee Brooklyn jeans off ebay for 35 quid. Run DMC told me to when I was 14 and I’ve gone with that.

Woody
    Free Member

I din’t get that show. What was it all about?

No idea because I felt compelled to switch channels after 2 minutes of watching hideous orange people.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

So your 20 quid peter storm cagoule will keep you as dry and warm as a £200 quid fully gore text breathable TNF. Berghaus, Rab etc?

Maybe not, and you’re kind of straying off the point here a bit, Read my post earlier re my Rab jacket.

My £96 in the sale normally £250 Gore Tex jacket might, though. 8)

cinnamon_girl

I must come clean here and admit to paying silly prices for bikey clothing. Have a lot of Gore stuff but it lasts for donkeys years. In fact my Windstopper jacket just won’t wear out, even after 7 years of Autumn, Winter and Spring use!

Edric64
    Free Member

PIK N MIX I agree technical fabrics are worth it Gore tex and high fill down jackets etc are real life savers in foul weather.Overpriced fashion labels take the piss though .I have seen 400 quid Jimmy Choo’s that are no better in construction than 40 quid shoes from New Look.

Woody
    Free Member

That’s different though CG – in your case you are paying for quality technical clothing which last ages and is well worth the money. Not always the case though and other tech stuff eg. ski/boarding gear can also be a huge rip-off.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I get my transform a outlet village, been buying Tommy Hillfinger ones normally I pay 60quid a pair and they are good quality, I paid 120 for a Haglofs polite packet very good quality warm and waterproof wear for biking and casual just buy wisely.

chewkw
    Free Member

Not trolling at all … if I strike jackpot I might be trolling but no …

richiethesilverfish – Member

Can you read? I don’t pay that for any of my stuff. I never said I did. But I’m not going to start a thread in shock and awe when I see those prices.

You are entitled to your views you know. 😆

As for my profession, of which you already know, I work in the bike industry. For the record I also have a small clothing company and guess what, I charge £20 for a tee shirt. Is that over priced?

I have no idea until now and this is an absolutely truth.

There you go … I touched a raw nerve there (clothing company) … there is nothing wrong with owning a small clothing company. You can charge £100 for a t-shirt if you want to if you manufactured it in UK paying high labour cost. I have no problem with that. But if you pay 50p per shirt for the labour in far east and you charge £20 per shirt then you have no heart.

So what about you? What job do you do that means you can shelter from real life and real prices?

I am a very low ranking bureaucrat in an institution and I am not sheltered from real life except refusing to be herded.

😯

chewkw
    Free Member

bland – Member

What you need chewkw is a good charity shop, bargains galore and more choice than any samey repetetive high street!

Charity shops? Have you ever looked into the face of the people who buy from charity shops? They are not as well off as you or perhaps are down in hard times so if they get a bargain good. There are also many old people trying to stretch their saving etc so bargain or not they are trying to buy something for themselves. Now the irony is this the poor quality of clothing will eventually trickle down to those shops and guess what … those poor souls have to stretch even more for their money and some clothing are so low in quality (you know disposable – wear and throw) that they do not even reach the charity shops.

Yes, I have bought from charity shops but once in every few years but that’s all.

Charity begins at home and what better to do then to produce locally but then profit dictates the heart … might as well pay peanuts to the monkey in the far east then sell them high to the monkeys at home. More money and shareholders are happy … well done.

Credit crunch! Where?

chewkw
    Free Member

Edric 64 – Member

PIK N MIX I agree technical fabrics are worth it Gore tex and high fill down jackets etc are real life savers in foul weather.Overpriced fashion labels take the piss though .I have seen 400 quid Jimmy Choo’s that are no better in construction than 40 quid shoes from New Look.

As long as the quality or the perceived quality is there you can charge an arm and a leg nobody cares. Jimmy Choo is not meant for the masses so he can charge those celebrities as much as he can and I salute him. Power to him …

I have no idea what New Look is selling as I thought they only sell female clothing … oh well …

chewkw
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

My Rab cost £110 15 years ago, and the equivalent would probably be close to £200 now I’d imagine. Considering the thing has kept me warm, many many times, including down to -30, I’d say that’s bloody good value for money actually. I wouldn’t pay that for Berghaus stuff mind.

As long as Rab are manufactured locally I have no problem with that even if they charge £200 (yes, saw a blue quilt blanket jacket) for them but not something made in the far east … 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well mine was made in Sheffield. 🙂

timc
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

This is a myth. The clothes are made in the same massive Far Eastern factories. It’s just snobbishness that makes people believe stuff from Tescos or Primark is inferior. I’ve seen some perfectly reasonable gear from both places, and some way overpriced tat with ‘designer’ labels on.

And me the opposite…

you find me a shirt/jeans from tesco etc with the same cut / fit / quality as so called overpriced one’s…

lets face it, you wont…

timc
    Free Member

hmmm…. £60 obviously isnt cheap, but its not really a great amount of money!

x2 bicycle tyres or a designer shirt… perspective!

PiknMix
    Free Member

Edric 64 – Member
    I have seen 400 quid Jimmy Choo’s that are no better in construction than 40 quid shoes from New Look.

but they are Jimmy Chho’s hell if I were a chick I would definitely pay that for them.

Hell I have a pair of boots that cost me 300 but them I am a proper shoe whore!

warton
    Free Member

Do you actually know what ‘proper denim’ is? It’s a basic cotton fabric that’s very easy and cheap to produce. The jeans will invariably be made in he Far East, using cheap labour. Each pair will cost a couple of quid to make, no more. Even after shipping and taxes, we’re still not talking about loads of money involved.

Yes they are made in the far east, in Japan in most cases, by companies like Evisu and Edwin (other non japanese companies include Nudie and vintage levis) .
    Yes I do know what proper Denim is. Its called selvedge. This sort of denim is made on original shuttle looms (which are no longer used by the big jean companies), and its edges won’t fray. There are only a handful of the original looms left, so only a few companies make proper selvedge (you get lots of selvedge imitations though). It’s not just about function, its about buying a piece of clothing thats a bit special and something not everyone else is wearing, as well as buying an item of clothing that won’t wear out after a year or two

tron
    Free Member

The OP has a point. The knowitalls proclaiming “tight arse” don’t have much of one.

The quality of clothing is often very poor, and price is no indicator of quality. A few examples:

My aunt was in charge of a line at Courtaulds back when they made stuff in the UK. As a rule, the likes of M&S would be looking for 16 stitches per inch. Stitches per inch directly relates to the quality and strength of the seam. Look at almost any garment on sale now outside of very pricey stuff, and you’ll find something like 8 stitches per inch. The vast majority of stuff on sale at the moment would have been in the rejects bin 20 years ago.

Similarly, I have some old New & Lingwood shirts in my wardrobe. If you took one to the shops and did a side by side comparision, even New & Lingwood’s current stuff doesn’t match in terms of quality of fabric.

On the other hand, it’s not all down the shitter – I’ve got a pricey jumper which has been worn as much as all my others put together, and it’s still in better nick. The problem is that there’s no way of telling on the shop shelf that one jumper is going to last years and the other will be pilled up like mad in a couple of months.

chewkw
    Free Member

Okay I managed to buy two pairs of Duck & Cover Union Mid Wash jeans for £66 (retail price £60/pairs) from TK Maxx as they seem to have the one I like and the thickest of the lot, which I assume, hopefully, will last longer. The front pockets are like those that you simple stitched outside rather than the traditional inside pocket so they will be able to handle my heavy keys. :mrgreen: Also bought two Brekka plastic base layers for £15 each.

djglover
    Free Member

Champagne charlie

chewkw
    Free Member

djglover – Member

Champagne charlie

LOL! Those are the only jeans that have thick pockets … :mrgreen:

CountZero

I’ll buy fairly expensive stuff on occasion, but I much prefer to find stuff in sales, like most of the jeans I have; several pairs of Howies, several pairs of Oakley’s. Next time I’m in London village I’m checking out Uniqlo’s Japanese Denim jeans for £45, they look like selvedge, and I prefer to try them on before I buy. I’ve got NF stuff that I payed full price for but it’s lasted for years. Recently bought a couple of vintage Pendleton wool shirts for £25, usually £75-130 new, and they’re lovely, but I just got three Uniqlo flannel shirts for just under £50, and they’re fantastic, soft, warm and very comfy, even came with all the plastic collar stiffeners that you used to get with a new shirt. Lovely stuff for the money. Just shows decent quality doesn’t need to be pricey. And of course I know it’s clothing made in China for a Japanese company. What isn’t, these days?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Really? £60 for a shirt …’ is closed to new replies.