Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 330 total)
  • Realistically, EU holidaying by late summer?
  • Premier Icon Akers
    Subscriber

I’m supposed to be in Slovenia in mid July. The operator has stated they will be restarting operations form June 23rd. Whether I can get there is another matter, Easyjet are only cancelling flights 7 days in advance, so who knows, but I doubt my flight will fly.

Still got my fingers crossed for Finale in October though.

Premier Icon oikeith
    Subscriber

Easyjet are only cancelling flights 7 days in advance

and although moving the flight is free of charge you’ll need to pay any differences and is only open till May 2021, not really helpful when trying to move a summer holiday back

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

If anyone is concerned about not getting away this summer, I just walked around Lidl in a pair of flip flops. It was remarkably close to being on a self-catering holiday in Europe.

Ha ha, the Lidl twixt Pollença and Port de Pollença provides some endearing memories (fresh baked rolls, sushi and mini cucumbers) from some of the family holidays we’ve enjoyed there 😃

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

Still got my fingers crossed for Finale in October though.

Hearing this a lot & schools & unis planning to start in Sept, but this is start of flu season

It shouldn’t be as bad as the start of the crisis for lots of reasons, but still gonna be a big surge in cases?

OTS – Interestingly, DFDS have off their own back changed my booking until the week before christmas, so no deposit lost, and means once the 21 season ferries open, we can change to that.

Reasonable behaviour IMO, quite happy.

DrJ

So is there actually anything to stop me from going on holiday to say, Greece (when it opens to tourism) and just “self-isolating” at home when I get back? Or will the Fun Police come round and beat me up for having a sun tan in a non-approved fashion?

If Patel is reading this – here is a version for you:

So is there actually anythin’ to stop me from goin’ on holiday to say, Greece (when it opens to tourism) and just “self-isolatin'” at home when I get back? Or will the Fun Police come round and beat me up for havin’ a sun tan in a non-approved fashion?

P.S. – still gettin’ the annoyin’ “GDPR popup” even after readin’ Mark’s posts and deletin’ cookies.

Premier Icon andermt
    Subscriber

Finally made the decision to cancel our Alps trip to Austria in early August.

Everything from there says it will all be open mid June to early July, restaurants are re-opening now so was looking good, until UK announcements today.

Had already paid the accommodation in full but would only get 20% back if cancelled after 20th June. With announcements today about 2 week quarantine starting 6th June and would be only be reassessed 3 weeks later it would take it past our cancellation date so may as well cancel now.

Tunnel crossing needs to be changed in the 2 weeks before travel so will leave it in place for now just in case things open up and we can find somewhere to go at short notice.

Larry_Lamb

until UK announcements today.

Which can easily change in the next couple of months.

Hell the way things are going it could be lifted with things like agreements with other countries such as unified process to limit transmission when travelling etc.

I’d be surprised it’s in long term if everyone is open for holiday business.

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

Cheers Nobeer – I suppose I should call them.

Edukator

My relatives made it to Spain via Gibralta. The biggest headache was getting on the flight to Gibralta, two attempts to get through airport check-in at two day intervals. Anyhow, all now reunited in Spain.

I’m on 64 plates, Bob, we do some MTBing and walking in your part of the world most years.

Premier Icon lister
    Subscriber

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52781812

Decision made?

DrJ

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52781812

The owners of Schiphol, CDG, Frankfurt etc must have thought it was Christmas. Patel’s hatred of foreigners leads her to sacrifice the UK airline industry as well as any hopes of the UK being a player on the global business scene. After this and Brexit we’ll be like Cuba without the sunshine. Or the music.

pjm7

…and there goes any hope of my trip to Morzine mid August, mind you these buffoons are changing their minds every other day, so could have changed again by then.

Premier Icon lister
    Subscriber

That’s the problem…I wish someone would just say ‘you aren’t going’

Premier Icon Spud
    Subscriber

I hear Durham is nice for a break….

mattyfez

Looks unlikely for UK citizens due to the handling of the virus and that we’re now apparently enforcing quarantine for people cummings coming into the UK.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/coronavirus-uk-holiday-quarantine-france-cyprus-travel-ban-a9529721.html

julians

I suspect they’ll remove the quarantine for eu countries by end of June, and just apply it selectively to specific non eu countries based on their virus situation

poolman

Spain just announced its open for business from July. It really cannot afford not to be, economy on the costas needs tourism.

julians

I’m supposed to be going to majorca for 2 weeks in July, flying out with easyjet and back with Ryanair.

Yesterday Ryanair cancelled the return flight, so I booked a different return with easyjet instead, not surprisingly it was v cheap at 30 euros per person.

I’m hopeful that I’ll be able to go by then, it’s a fast moving situation though so who knows really.

Premier Icon chrismac
    Subscriber

Our trip to Andorra is September has been pushed back to next year due to the uncertainty of getting in to Barcelona Airport (they had it bad even by Spanish standards) and no news yet on when the Valnord lift system will open for the summer

Premier Icon duncancallum
    Subscriber

Poland cancelled for july not a big shock.

Hope Slovenia in October is fine

lightning

Looks like the UK for us this year, was going to Greece in July but can’t be sure if it will be possible.

These holiday resort countries will have to re open soon or all their hotels will go bust.

kynasf

Moved our half term eurotunnel crossing to end of August so we can catch the tour. On the original tour schedule we would have missed it due to it being a week earlier than normal meaning the kids were still in school.

Premier Icon blitz
    Subscriber

Coronavirus: France to reopen cafes, bars and restaurants https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52837232

Looking more hopeful that our Morzine holiday at the end of August may happen???

DrJ

Looking more hopeful that our Morzine holiday at the end of August may happen???

The state of bars etc was never the issue – the problem is the restictions on travel imposed by UK and French authorities, with 14 days quarantine now required at each end. Thanks, “Johnson”.

DrJ

These holiday resort countries will have to re open soon or all their hotels will go bust.

They are open but Boris “Johnson” Johnson put a spanner in the works with 14 days of quarantine in order to keep people from Greece (very little CV19) out of the UK (lots of CV19). Weekend in Skegness, anyone?

julians

Boris “Johnson” Johnson put a spanner in the works with 14 days of quarantine in order to keep people from Greece

with 14 days quarantine now required at each end.

france are dropping the quarantine requirment from 14th june, spain are dropping it from 1st July.

I expect we’ll drop it too for arrivals from eu countries.

I’m quietly confident that I’ll be able to get to mallorca in july

DrJ

france are dropping the quarantine requirment from 14th june,

Not from the UK they aren’t.

I expect we’ll drop it too for arrivals from eu countries.

Because the Home Secretary is so pro-EU ? I hope you’re right but I don’t share your confidence!!

mrmo

Just say you’re dom cummings, then no need for quarantine when you come back.

julians

Not from the UK they aren’t.

According to this article (see para 5 & 6), the quarantine will be voluntary

https://www.thelocal.fr/20200528/latest-france-aims-to-reopen-borders-for-european-travel-from-june-15th

mrmo

According to this article (see para 5 & 6), the quarantine will be voluntary

https://www.thelocal.fr/20200528/latest-france-aims-to-reopen-borders-for-european-travel-from-june-15th

Unless you’re planning a one way trip you still have to deal with quaratine on the return. Can’t help but think it is about making sure people have as little awareness of just how badly the UK has handled everything by trying to stop people leaving.

Premier Icon Wally
    Subscriber

Still no.

Edukator

The key words are hope “hope” and “aim” which are not “will”, he said the decision will be European not just French, and then you have to interpret “European”. And it will be on the basis of reciprocity, and everything depends on the evolution of the virus.

Nothing is certain yet. Two weeks is a long time in CV 19 times. I personally would be a little pissed off with opening up to a country with about 10 times the infection rate with a population reticent to follow their own government’s advice let alone stupid foreign laws. I’m not sure I’m very keen on opening up the region I live in which has close to zero new case to people from Paris, but that’s what’s now possible.

It looks like my planned trip to Germany is back on.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

I am beginning to wonder if I cancelled our August trip to Menorca too hastily.

Maybe I’ll give it 6 weeks and drop onto last minute searches…

Exactly, the issue is not whether countries are ‘open for business’ it’s whether they’re willing to accept people from the UK given our bloody numbers.

I can see the bloody annoying situation whereby the rest of the EU is happily effectively open for (socially distanced) limited tourism by we here aren’t allowed to leave our shores to partake by the rabidly antiEU Govt…

Premier Icon Tracey
    Subscriber

With four weeks to go before our Lake garda and Alps trip we have finally decided to put it on hold and rather than cancel have got the agreement for the same dates in 2021.
    Will be contacting the tunnel nearer the time to see what can be done.
    With a bit of luck we will get some trips in the UK July and August and are holding fire on cancelling the Sospel, San Remo and Finale trip for late September till nearer the time

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Quarantining us if we go to europe probably makes sense, but at this point every european that comes here makes us all statistically slightly safer. If I was one of the countries that did the right, hard thing I’d be very wary about people from a country that’s still ****ing it up coming over and undoing even a tiny part of it…

trail_rat

Even if you believed you could get to Greece or other wise.

Do you think you’d be able to relax with the fluidity of the situation ?

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 330 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.