Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 1,715 total)
  • Realistically, EU holidaying by late summer?
  • Sui
    Free Member

@tfelotthgir a green, wow I suppose for some families it could be, though not many!

Agree with rain, bloomin heck, proper swamp feat on a couple of the blues section’s, people just sliding down on their butts..

Agree weather is looking glorious this week, gutted I leave on sat, could easily have 2 weeks here..

ElVino

@Sui my 13yr old is not vaxed yet, So she needs a test on the way out, we all need them on the way back and again after 2 days in the UK so 11 in total. Thanks for the trail advice.

Stainypants

@ELVino where are you travelling. Youre daughter doesnt need a test to get into France if both parents are vaccinated. If you’re going to spain you need either a PCR or a lamp test an antigen test(lat flow) isnt good enough. You only need antigen test to get back to the UK which you can gwt locally at a pharmacy or get a self test from coop for £25 each and PCR at day 2. Randox are probably the chespest with a small discountvfrom the ferry company they are about £45.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    masterdabber
    Free Member

You only need antigen test to get back to the UK which you can gwt locally at a pharmacy or get a self test from coop for £25 each and PCR at day 2. Randox are probably the chespest with a small discountvfrom the ferry company they are about £45.

I gather that has to be prebooked/ordered before travelling (France). Is that right?

Also does the actual date of “Day 2” have to be defined or can it just be ordered and used whenever “Day 2” actually occurs?

Ewan
    Free Member

Hmmmm, greated this morning with a message from the government saying i need to self isolate. This is despite coming home from france yesterday, fully vaccinated, and negative test. I’m assuming I just ignore it? Anyone else get this when they’ve got home after the policy changed?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

@ewan does it say why? Eh is it because you’ve been in France or because of close contact?

Ewan
    Free Member

It says “Welcome to the UK. You are now required to quarantine for 10 days and take 2 further coronavirus tests. Otherwise you may be fined.<other stuff about contacting me>”

I’m assuming they can’t fine me if they’ve sent it incorrectly, hence planning to ignore. I’ve double checked my locator form etc and I don’t seem to have made an error. My wife has got the same text message this morning. If they contact me I guess I’ll say wtf to them?

EDIT: can’t be close contact, app isn’t on my phone / haven’t actually had close contact with anyone in about a year!

flatpack

@ewan I had that yesterday too after returning from France on Sunday. Then someone turned up on my doorstep to check I was self isolating, I told them that I didn’t have to and they said ‘oh you’ve come from France, the form hasn’t caught up with the change in regulations yet’. They were happy and friendly, poked around on their phone for a bit and told me it was fine and I didn’t have to isolate and went on their way. My wife filled in the same form in the same way and didn’t get the text or the visit!

Later that day I got another text from UK_Gov apologising for the error and telling me I didn’t have to isolate.

soobalias
    Free Member

what with the:
    high costs to the individuals (profits going somewhere tho…)
    inaccuracy of self administered tests
    the reported low percentage of “Day 2” PCRs being tested in a suitable timeframe and pathetically low percentage of positives being sequenced as a ‘new variant’ check
    ongoing confusion and questionable competence of the T&T teams…

how long till Boris/Sunak decide its all TFD i wonder.

Ewan
    Free Member

@ewan I had that yesterday too after returning from France on Sunday. Then someone turned up on my doorstep to check I was self isolating, I told them that I didn’t have to and they said ‘oh you’ve come from France, the form hasn’t caught up with the change in regulations yet’. They were happy and friendly, poked around on their phone for a bit and told me it was fine and I didn’t have to isolate and went on their way. My wife filled in the same form in the same way and didn’t get the text or the visit!

@flatpack
    ah ok, that sounds like the same thing… will see if someone knocks on the door! We’re not actually planning on going anywhere until the weekend anyway!

julians
    Free Member

EDIT: can’t be close contact, app isn’t on my phone / haven’t actually had close contact with anyone in about a year!

Did you fly in from france?

If you end up sat next to/near to someone on the plane that tests positive you’ll get a similar email/text/phone call telling you to isolate – its all done from the travel locator form – no apps involved.

Ewan
    Free Member

Nope – eurotunnel sat in our camper van after spending a week in a wet not massively busy campsite. Maybe that’s it though…. they wanted a seat number / flight for the euro tunnel (which doesn’t have such things – generally you don’t even know what exact train you’ll be going on) so i just wrote ‘eurotunnel’. Perhaps the computer has decided we sat next to everyone on eurotunnel! Tho you’d think the text message would say that rather than saying ‘welcome to the uk’.

mrl

Off to France next week and the covid test company decided priority delivery meant 12 days after ordering so our test to return pack will arrive just before we get home. So can I get a test for return done in France? In Morzine if that helps. Thanks

5lab

Day 2 pcrs are now down to £20 a head, which makes a decent discount on total cost for a family. Ignore the ferry and airline discounts, just go direct

doomanic

Where from?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Just my experience but steer clear of Randox for PCRs, we used them as they were cheap but then saw the Dispatches show on them regarding cross contamination.

3 of our Day 2 PCRs came back negative then one sons turned up 7 hours later positive.

He’s fit as fiddle, negative lateral flows before and since plus a further PCRs us all a day later that were all negative.

Now fielding 10 calls a day from track and trace as they seem to have multiple account IDs for us all and seemingly can’t cross reference anything.

ElVino

£20 quid is pretty decent, anyone know what the Pharmacy in Morzine is charging for the pre arrival / Departure tests?

@Stainypants
    – French government site seems pretty clear that anyone over 12 & under 18 that isn’t vaccinated needs a prearrival test. Would be delighted to be proved wrong here.

DrJ

So can I get a test for return done in France? In Morzine if that helps. Thanks

From where I am sitting (Paris) I can probably throw a stone and hit at least three places to get a return test. I’d imagine most towns of any size are the same – basically every pharmacy, of which France has zillions.

I think €29 is the official price; we paid €25.

DrJ

https://www.find-travel-test-provider.service.gov.uk/test-type

Didnt Which? find that none of those low price offers actually exist unless you’re one of the first three people to drive through in Norwich a week on Wednesday?

hot_fiat

I’ve just tried about three of those £20 day 2 test links and none of them came back with valid prices.

leonthepro
    Free Member

We bought the pre travel and return (lateral flow) tests from c19testing.co.uk at £29 each. Son (he’s 13) had to have one for entry to France. Haven’t booked the the day 2 yet. Will wait for nearer the time.
    Pharmacy in Morzine (high Street) seems to have a queue all day for covid tests.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

@leonthepro we used C19 for our lateral flows, very easy submission and fast results/certificate, 4 hours pre departure and 1 hour on return

mrmo
    Free Member

Does anyone know if you are legally obliged to take a day 2 test? I know you have to buy one, but use it? Reading the stories of how badly the system works.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

@mrmo legally yes but given when track and trace called after my sons positive test they had no idea it was a day 2 test , no knowledge we’d been to Greece and none of the info we’d submitted with the tests (DOB/Address/Flight and Seat No/Passport number) I’d be surprised if 10 days hadn’t passed by the time they caught up with you.

Speaking to the track and trace guy today they only receive positives so likely the first people to contact you will be the test provider asking where it was rather than T and T

mrmo
    Free Member

@benhouldsworth , thanks, and thanks for the comment re c19, I have bought a couple of their tests for the return,  puts my mind a little more at rest. Lets hope tomorrow goes ok as I start the drive down to Switzerland.

weeksy

Had a random thought on the way back from London today….

“why are we going to the Peaks now that France is open again”

From what i can gather as both myself and wife are double vaccinated, we’re OK on way out.

We need a test for the boy within 24 hours of leaving (he’s 13) which seems to be £80 from Madjeski in Reading…. then he/we will need a test on way back which is local pharmacy for 29 Euro (just run them and had a broken conversation with them). Within 3 days of coming back to UK…

Anything we’re missing here just before we press some buttons.

cchris2lou

For those coming to France , the tests in local pharmacie are very busy . Especially in small towns ; not all chemist do them .

paul0
    Free Member

Anything we’re missing here just before we press some buttons.

Have you factored-in possibility that one of those tests comes back positive (lost holiday / extended holiday… )

weeksy

Have you factored-in possibility that one of those tests comes back positive (lost holiday / extended holiday… )

Aye…. that’d be an inconvenience for sure 😀

Tracey

We had the same discussions at the beginning of the week, would usually be in the Alps but are off up to Scotland instead. The campsites haven’t been paid for and could have been cancelled at no cost.

We felt that the commitment we made when booked should outweigh us disappearing to France, in addition is still the uncertainty that the rules have been forever changing with little notice.

Our daughter who would usually spend the summer abroad biking and competing has decided to do the same and has borrowed her dads van and is touring Wales.

One of our younger work colleagues, had 1st jab, had a weeks holiday in Spain a couple of weeks back and was due to fly to Madera the week later. He was pinged a few days after arriving home and has had to isolate so missed the second holiday, he started with the symptoms a few days later and tested positive.

I’m not sure its worth the hassle and stress at this moment in time.

johndrummer
    Free Member

So my thoughts of a week in Croatia have become a long weekend in the Lake District.

Maybe next year

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

So my thoughts of a week in Croatia have become a long weekend in the Lake District.

You did well to get three days accommodation in the lakes for the price of a week in Croatia.

Unless you have a modest, but very comfortable boat on the west coast of course.

rone

Tunnel to France just now super efficient and fast.

hooli

I’m not sure its worth the hassle and stress at this moment in time.

That is a very good summary of the conversation that took place in our house a few weeks ago.

mrmo
    Free Member

Never seen the tunnel so quiet. Now in a hotel in Troyes for the night.

hot_fiat

Other Brits are starting to appear here. Queue for the village pharmacy test site is pretty noticeable. No queue at the one in Saint Jupe though.

TAC pass works everywhere we’ve tried it which is great – even at little restaurants on the mountains.

Need to lat flow the kids tomorrow prior to setting off through CH to AT on Saturday. We’ve four non-nhs self-tests in the van that should be good for AT entry, will double check tonight.

Sui
    Free Member

Elvino, your post about testing all the kids got me paranoid, so with 9 hours before I travel mucho internet’s I’ve realised I’ve got another £200 quid bill,

9 year old needs a day 2
    11 year old needs pre departure and day 2.

Morzine pharmacy is 40 euro for pre departure

UK day 2’s I struggled to find any decent ones that didn’t lead you to think it was 20 quid before then charging a lot more, in the end it’s boots at £75 a pop (x4)

I swear every single company that is making money out of covid is on my banned list… 😡

spekkie
    Free Member

39.5 degrees at 5.30 this afternoon when we went to swim in the river. Too hot to think man!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 1,715 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.