Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 1,715 total)
  • Realistically, EU holidaying by late summer?
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Camping in the garden would be good to test out camping equipment etc … 😬

That’s what I would do but my back garden is shared and concreted 🤣

Sandwich

That’s what I would do but my back garden is shared and concreted

Hilti gun is made for this.

weeksy

I know we’re all still in guessing times, but where are we seeing things now?
    We’ve still got a booking for last weekend in may in Portimao. Portugal is obvious a Red Zone as we speak. But their numbers are falling currently. Even if their vaccination program doesn’t seem to be setting the world on fire.

I’m in the “bin it and go to Burgundy where we have a massive house to use for 2 weeks in August with no on for miles around”

Mrs Weeksy is more in the “oh I don’t know, let’s wait a bit more”

I’m not prepared to pay for 10 days isolation after the trip. I’m not even convinced I’m prepared to pay 3* cv19 tests on way out and back. Neither of us are likely to have been vaccinated by may.

julians
    Free Member

I know we’re all still in guessing times, but where are we seeing things now?
    We’ve still got a booking for last weekend in may in Portimao. Portugal is obvious a Red Zone as we speak. But their numbers are falling currently. Even if their vaccination program doesn’t seem to be setting the world on fire.

I’m in the “bin it and go to Burgundy where we have a massive house to use for 2 weeks in August with no on for miles around”

Mrs Weeksy is more in the “oh I don’t know, let’s wait a bit more”

I’m not prepared to pay for 10 days isolation after the trip. I’m not even convinced I’m prepared to pay 3* cv19 tests on way out and back. Neither of us are likely to have been vaccinated by may.

I think your may trip is unlikely to go ahead, but I wouldnt bin it until you really have to, just in case it can go ahead.

Spud

We rarely go abroad, and then it’s only been for work since the kids were under 3, so all out hols are UK-based. We were lucky last year to have our summer hols in Cornwall booked a year previously and we have a caravan so self-contained. The same is true this year, and we have other long weekends or weeks away over the coming months too. Although I’m accepting that mid-March is a no, Easter likely a no, probably late May too. It’s just so up in the air for the UK that I couldn’t contemplate going abroad and then perhaps needing to quarantine etc on the return and the potential for contracting CV when away etc, and that’s before the test fees in and out etc.

weeksy

I think your may trip is unlikely to go ahead, but I wouldnt bin it until you really have to, just in case it can go ahead.

The problem is, even if it CAN, doesn’t necessarily mean i want to… just because someone tells me i’m allowed to… won’t mean i think it’s safe to do so.

grahamt1980

We have a place booked in the lakes for Easter, but I’m thinking that isn’t going to happen.
    I can see our holidays being at the family farm camping again.
    Oh well got a new axe so will be in the wood making a mess

Kryton57

I’ve given in and booked 2 sensible UK holidays for August and October. I then won a half paid for Caribbean holiday for 2022/3 at work which coincides with my 50th. All have “Covid” options to refund or reschedule.

We also have Center Parcs booked for April HT but suspect thats going back 1 year.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

For what my guess work is worth I can’t see any foreign travel this year unless it’s a saga holiday.

Personally I’ve bookings for August that were shifted from last year and I absolutely expect I’ll be cancelling or postponing again owing to entry to the vast majority of countries will I guess be limited to those able to prove they’ve been vaccinated much like it is going to yellow fever countries etc. (or Greece already)

Really that means I’m stuck in blighty given I doubt I will have been jabbed as I’m a low risk and I don’t expect to be able to get it done privately for at least 18 months. Even if I have managed to get stuck on the NHS I very much doubt I’ll be able to prove it satisfactorily since the govt won’t currently entertain the idea of vacation passporting.

mrchrispy

A week in a UK cottage is in the bag, suspect we’ll endup with booking another week in the UK somewhere. its gonna be rammed.

hels
    Free Member

There are other ways of proving you have been vaccinated. Nice sideline for GPs in writing letters for people, as happens already for similar situations.

We need to set up some kind of STW house swap for holidays!

duckman

Kryton, even if CP is open all the stuff to do..well NEARLY all the stuff to do, involves lots of people in close proximity. They must be hurting now I think of it, does anybody know if they opened at all last year?

BillOddie

We ummmed and ahhhed about where to go and when and we have a couple of different weeks booked in pretty remote cottages in Pembrokeshire/Ceredigion for the summer hols.

We do have a bit of a gamble in that we have booked a city break in NYC in October (was April 2021) but it is what it is, if it gets shifted again so be it.

zilog6128

we’ve been looking at renting an out-of-the-way lodge/cottage etc or even hiring a campervan and touring some quieter areas. Have no idea what the obsession is with having to jet off to the Costa del Bollocks or whatever IN THE SUMMER. Winter sun, yes I get it, but the UK is great in the summer! Loads to do 👍 But booking up early seems sensible!

ElShalimo

We’ll just be happy if our June trip to Uist goes ahead. It was postponed last June 🙁

mattyfez

It’s very tricky, I really need to go to an EU country to take care of some family business.

Hollidays are, I would say, unessesary. At least for 6 months.

But the UK law for important travel is really vague. All I can see is ‘legally permitted travel’ but it seems impossible to find the rules on what that specificaly means.

ifra
    Free Member

Have no idea what the obsession is with having to jet off to the Costa del Bollocks or whatever IN THE SUMMER. Winter sun, yes I get it, but the UK is great in the summer! Loads to do 👍

Not everyone that goes abroad does this, we drive to france every summer the main plus’s are I can get two weeks holiday for what I would pay for 1 week equivalent in the UK, that plus the climate the people, food and space and lakes I have got 3 weeks booked off end of july/august with nothing booked yet, I’m holding onto that .0001 percent hope (purely for morale reasons ) that we may get there.😁

I think portugal is mainly on the list due to it links with Brazil so think it may even not come off after their case drop

freeagent
    Free Member

I’m 90% sure our planned/booked trip to Lake Garda (shifted a year from last Aug) won’t be happening.
    I’m 48 and my wife 45 so we should be next in line for the vaccine once they’ve finished the top 9 groups, but i’m aware the vaccine roll out for ‘first jabs’ will soon slow to a trickle when they need to start doing second jabs.
    I don’t need to cancel/re-book it just yet so we’ll see…

freeagent
    Free Member

Have no idea what the obsession is with having to jet off to the Costa del Bollocks or whatever IN THE SUMMER. Winter sun, yes I get it, but the UK is great in the summer! Loads to do 👍

Not everyone that goes abroad does this, we drive to france every summer the main plus’s are I can get two weeks holiday for what I would pay for 1 week equivalent in the UK, that plus the climate the people, food and space and lakes

+1.
    I’ve never been on a package holiday to Europe – but like paying 50% less for holidays in France/Italy compared to Cornwall..

kilo

Hopefully we’ll get to our place in Ireland as the summer progresses haven’t been since August and no one has stayed there since November so could really do with checking it all over, clearing ditches and gutters, getting it ready for another winter, etc.

It’s in the middle of no where, two house within a mile and surrounded by forest so fairly COVID safe once there.
    I think the chance of getting over to Canada, B.C, in September for our trip postponed from last year is no chance 🙁

weeksy

How are we seeing progress then guys? In a slightly selfish way, end of May. I’d given up hope on it, but Mrs Weeksy has seen improvement in Portugal figures and once again seems inclined to be wanting to go.
    I’m mostly hoping we cannot.

But, there’s a minor flip side of ragging my XSR 900 around Portimao which does sound appealing.

Not £1750+ tests appealing of course. Lol

mrmo
    Free Member

I have booked at apartment in the alps, owner is flexible if I have to cancel. Not booked euro tunnel. Some days I am hopeful, i will be going in late august, other days not so.

weeksy

We have late August in Burgundy/Alps as plan B currently too. Both options completely flexible there, so no problem. I’m far more optimistic of that choice

mattyfez

Lots of hoo-har in the media about vaccine ‘passports’ which will negate the need to quarantine i think, but equally I can’t see low priority people getting a shot before summer at best.

oldtennisshoes

We’ve got an early school holidays week booked for Orkney, with the hope of a French road trip in August if permitted. Need to start considering if anything is likely for October – would be nice to get out to Mallorca.

dantsw13

I can’t help but feel euro holidays will be more difficult this year after the end to the transition period. The EU may well sort its own internal scheme without us.

Mister-P
    Free Member

It’s going to be busy in Filey this summer I reckon.

scotroutes

We’ll just be happy if our June trip to Uist goes ahead. It was postponed last June

@ElShalimo
      – when and where? We’re heading up 12th to 21st.

footflaps

We’ll probably visit friends in France if it opens up; can go at short notice assuming we can book a crossing.

Other than that, have booked a week in the Lakes for June.

boardmanfs18

Don’t forget whilst we are winning the first dose ‘race’, we are actually lagging behind on the two dose vaccine compared to other countries.

Now this could be an issue, as technically you’re not vaccinated until you’ve had both doses. So therefore other countries won’t let you in until you have had both doses. End of August for over 50’s.

I’ve a feeling Greece might swerve that requirement, as tourism is 30% of their GDP.

tjagain

I suspect an EU wide travel scheme that we will not be a part of

ElShalimo

@scotroutes – 5th-12th staying centrally on Grimsay. We’ll have gravel/hybrid bikes, boots and kayaks. We’re really looking forward it  !!!!  (but will understand if we can’t go).

The Hebridean Smokehouse will be my first destination, nevermind that exercise malarkey 😉

weeksy

So therefore other countries won’t let you in until you have had both doses. End of August for over 50’s.

At the moment it’s the yes/no/maybe that’s the killer. If someone said “Portugal is closed to the UK until 2022” I’d be absolutely fine with that, because then at least we know. We’ve got 5 weeks now until we either pay £1500 and risk it, or we lose £600-1300

I’d be happy just knowing

iolo
    Free Member

I´m going to Vienna tomorrow for a few days.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ve a feeling Greece might swerve that requirement, as tourism is 30% of their GDP.

I doubt they’ll be able to, they might not ask you to quarantine after arrival etc but:

I suspect an EU wide travel scheme

They’re in the EU and will be forced to toe the line on EU wide entry requirements.

that we will not be a part of

Assuming we could trust the morons in charge to come up with a reasonable policy of our own that would actually be no bad thing. As it is of course the one thing you can count on from this lot is they’ll snatch failure from the jaws of success at every opportunity.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I can see quite alot of resentment from the younger generations if, having been put on severe restrictions and given up so much for 18 months, they then have to watch as all the vaccinated folks get to go on holiday, whilst they are stuck at home.

If I was 20 and had sacrificed a good chunk of my youth to protect the vulnerable, that would feel like a kick in the teeth

I hope people consider that, even if they are eligible for a vaccination passport.

mrmo
    Free Member

If I was 20 and had sacrificed a good chunk of my youth to protect the vulnerable, that would feel like a kick in the teeth

I hope people consider that, even if they are eligible for a vaccination passport.

If you’re going the vaccine passport route you need to be really clear to all groups about when they get it, otherwise, yes it’s just another case of the older generation shafting the younger, tuition fees, housing, jobs, Brexit, etc etc etc.

tpbiker
    Free Member

yes it’s just another case of the older generation shafting the younger, tuition fees, housing, jobs, Brexit, etc etc etc.

Just to be clear I don’t think that older generations going on holiday is shafting the young.

I was merely suggesting they perhaps should be sensitive to what the youngsters have had to endure, and immediately going on holiday may be seen as rubbing salt in wounds abit.

Personally I won’t be going abroad this year, vaccine or not. Already saving up for my 2022 Majorca trip however, which I suspect will be at least twice the price of normal.

matt_outandabout

Anywhere in the UK that has had an ‘influencer’ visit is going to be rammed out.
    Great for local businesses, but it will bring some real strains to our rural services and people.

mrmo
    Free Member

@tpbiker, I am not trying to suggest that, it is just far too easy for it to be seen in that light without clear messaging.

it is better to say no one can travel, or you will get vaccine on day x and can travel on day y. Messaging is key in this. When was the last time there was any mention of vaccines and under 50’s? It’s almost as if the plan is to stop and let the virus run amok in under 50’s

Viewing 40 posts - 761 through 800 (of 1,715 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.