Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Real Life Escape the Room
  • Garry_Lager

Escape the room games are pretty popular on phones and tablets – solve sequential puzzles in a room to open a door and escape. Has anyone tried one of the real life venues – There’s one in Manchester:

Home

Any good? Seems like it would be a great place to take the kids, but mine are 5 and 8 so maybe a bit young for the puzzles.

Cougar

There’s a few all over the place now.

We went with work to that very site, booked the place out for an hour. It was great, good atmosphere and friendly staff, I’d recommend it for sure.

The team I was on didn’t escape our room – we were on the last puzzle when we ran out of time – though we were in the hardest room. I don’t know how much easier the easier rooms are, but I’d hazard that they’d be too hard for the kids. I found it challenging and I R clevar.

willard

Some people at work went and enjoyed it. They were in the top ten of escapees for a while I think.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ossify

I went to this one: https://breakoutmanchester.com/
    There’s a few different ones around, they seem pretty popular.

It was great, would definitely go again but 5 and 8 is way too young for the puzzles IMO.

GrahamS

Yep did this one in Edinburgh:
    https://canyouescape.co.uk/edinburgh/missions

Nice set up – we were supposed to be on a damaged escape craft from the International Space Station which we had to fix before the time ran out.

It was a one hour, 2-6 participant room with a 4/5 difficulty rating.
    Me and a mate managed it with minutes to spare, despite nursing hangovers (it was New Year’s Day!).

Kid’s could have helped with some of the puzzles, especially the physical ones, but they would have needed a lot of adult hints for the logical ones.

theotherjonv

We went to one in Euston http://hinthunt.co.uk/ ; very well run. We managed to escape with a group of mixed ages / abilities but the staff were on hand to give hints if necessary so i suspect escaping wasn’t that much to crow about.

5 would have been too young, 8 probably but not all of the puzzles needed brain power, some were more physical like finding various objects around the room to rebuild a puzzle that then opened a door, etc., and some 8 year olds are very good at problem solving because they aren’t yet encumbered by doing things the ‘logical’ way.

Garry_Lager

Thanks all – sounds good. Reckon the kids will love it if I go ahead and solve the puzzles and tell them the right buttons to press etc.

RustySpanner

How much is it?
    Quite fancy it, tbh.

Actually doing things in real life that you enjoy in video games is always enlightening.
    Anyone ever been to The Gathering?
    Went a couple of times about 20 years ago, ruined RPG’s for me.
    🙂

I’ll hide a key in our garage and lock you in for £10.00 per head?
    I’ll refund half if you tidy up.

Mail in profile.

maccruiskeen

Actually doing things in real life that you enjoy in video games is always enlightening.

Once had the bathroom door handle come off in a new house I’d moved into. Litterally just a day or two after I’d moved in. I’d forgotten to take a towel into the bathroom with me – I was naked, I was wet, it was winter. My options were:

a) Somehow get the door open using something in the room

or

b) Climb out of the window – which led into my new neighbour and landlords back garden – there was snow on the ground and it was about -10c – the only exit from his garden through his house.

Took me about an hour and a half to finally figure out how to do option A. I don’t think I’d pay for the privilege of doing anything similar again.

Thinking about it I’ve also been locked into Rainhill Mental Hospital, Winson Green Prison and Manchester Terminal 2 over the years too – luckily with clothes on in those instances though.

benp1

maccruiskeen – sounds like you need a minder 😆

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Bit like this I guess!?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjXAXnacKMc[/video]

Cougar

It was The Secret Lab we did, incidentally.

I can give you a mostly spoiler-free tip for that if you want, there’s a puzzle which requires knowledge rather than pure logic / lateral thinking.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Real Life Escape the Room’ is closed to new replies.