• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by alexh.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • real life difference pike vs yari
  • sefton
    Free Member

I’ve tried to read all the marketing guff…

is a pike worth the extra $$$

anyone used both?

snorkelsucker
    Free Member

Value/worth means different things to different folks but, having had had a Pike RC, Pike RCT3 and now a Yari RC I can, hand on heart, say that I can’t notice any discernable difference. That may say more about me as a rider but I’m not a pro, far from it.

What I can say is that I ride the same stuff on the Yari as I did on the Pike (in fact I probably ride harder stuff, harder, on the Yari) and I’ve never once felt the Yari is a lesser fork.

Yes the Pike has the better damper, but with 3 x bottomless tokens in it, the Yari feels more supple off the top and ramps up nicely. When I bought the Yari I was actually toying with the idea of a Yari or a Lyric. Partly having owned a Pike for a while but also because, well, if you’re gonna go all out, may as well get a Lyric.

Yari is fine for UK stuff including uplifts. Top fork.

sefton
    Free Member

where is the Lyric positioned in the range?

snorkelsucker
    Free Member

Yari > Pike > Lyric

Of the SC RS forks which have the 35mm chassis, anyway.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The big improvement I’ve noticed in the Lyrik over the Pike is that the Lyrik is way more supportive, sits up nicely in it’s travel whilst descending, and has nicer small bump compliance too.

Not sure about Yari, haven’t tried it.

benpinnick

I’d take the lyrik over both. It’s not quite yari – pike – lyrik as the lyrik and pike are the same level. However the revised air spring of the lyrik/yari is excellent, – and its stiffer, although heavier. I like all three tbh. Pick what you can afford I guess, as pikes are usually cheaper than lyriks.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Don’t forget to consider an xFusion Sweep Roughcut HLR or a Manitou Mattoc Pro.

mos

Lockout, Yari doesn’t have lockout.
    But otherwise as above, I suspect most of us would never notice the difference between the two types of damping.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Another thread suggested to me the Yari is more like the old Lyrik before it got the Pike’s damper.

Which to me would swing it for the Yari as I love the old Lyrik. More tuneable and super plush. Though for regular trails it’s a bit too soft maybe, whereas the Pike is more responsive to the small bumps.

I don’t know if that’s all true though. Never tried a Yari myself or a new Lyrik.

And no lockout… excellent 🙂

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I have Pikes and Yari, can’t tell any difference.
    Apart from the fact my Yari locks solid.

oreetmon
    Free Member

Had both, not much in it but I reckon the yari is less flexy and the pike is more plush on squre edges.
    However I had about 20hrs using the yari so seals just breaking in and haven’t faffed with tokens or. Sweet spot psi yet.
    Don’t miSs all the adjustment or the lock out of the pike, yari just works.

tmb467
    Free Member

Any update or further opinions on this post?

alexh
    Free Member

I prefer the pike.

In 29″ format I’ve rode both and ditched the yari in favour of the pike. The lock out on the yari is better,but I just get on with the pike damper better on the chatter. As I had a pike on the other 27.5 bike I just felt it didn’t match up to the pike performance.

The yari is a good fork, just to me the pike is a bit better.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘real life difference pike vs yari’ is closed to new replies.