Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Real bike weights..
  • Alex

Done to death I know, but we’ve been making use of our LBS’s posh new Park Digital Scales. Everybody’s bike is heavier that they expected/hoped for. In preparation we hacked 25mm off the bars and 10mm off the steerer before I weighed mine 😉

Untitled by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

31lbs on the nose. Those flats are heavy as I’m currently dithering between flats and SPDs for the alps, but even with the TIME XS it’d be 30.5. Quite happy with that, 160mm forks, 203 rotors, reverb, decent sized tyres, etc.

It pedals fine tho. I really wouldn’t want to change anything (other than to go 1×10 which I’ll do before the trip) and I can ride it all day on 70k/1000m+ loops round here. I do need a beer aferwards tho!

So anyone else surprised by the ‘real’ weight of their bike? Anyone care unless you’re racing?

jam-bo

Real bikes that get ridden rather than polished dont get weighed.

colournoise

That’s quite cool. Been speccing up a potential Rocket build with similar spec (same forks, but 1×10 with Zee/X9 and Flow EX) and my spreadsheet of claimed weights suggests almost spot on 31lb. My BFe comes in at 29, so I reckon 31/32 is reasonable.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

Park Digital Scales aren’t necessarily any more accurate than any other scales. You really need to calibrate them against a known weight. The ones in our shop always showed less than a set I had at home.

FWIW, my 9:zero:7 weighs in at just under 31lbs

Untitled by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

Alex

Flow EX on mine CN. Think you’re spot on in terms of weight. We’re calibrating the bikes against each other 🙂 Don’t think anything has come in under 28lbs including hardtails. But nothing breaks/is noodly/is rubbish on the rocky stuff.

RobHilton
    Free Member

spreadsheet of claimed weight

Get out more 😀

mboy
    Free Member

Bikes are always heavier than their owners think they are. Manufacturers claimed weights are always for an XS sized bike with no pedals, and helium in the tyres (this might not be true!).

My Ti hardtail built with an eye on the scales, but the other on durability, is near enough 26lb (on a Park digital scale). Had someone the other week try to tell me his Lapierre Zesty (ally frame) with stock build aside from saddle and tyres was just over 26lb… I can assure you just picking it up, it was much closer to 30lb than 26!

Does it all matter? Not really, but those who’ve always grossly exaggerated how light their bike is that are most upset by finding out the real weight… 😉

mojo5pro
    Free Member

I have a five with a coil shock, coil 160 forks, gravity dropper, saint crank and dual-ply minion on front. Not weighed it but expect it to be 28-30lbs? 😀

ahwiles
    Free Member

my hardtail weighs 14kilos / 31 pounds.

it’s awesome!

Dales_rider
    Free Member

I have spreadsheets, I have individual component weights but when built up my bike always weighs more than the sum of its parts, maybe I should start weighing the oils and greases used to assemble it . 😉

thejesmonddingo

Probably simpler to build it up,forget the spreadsheet,ride it and if you like it,who cares what it weighs. 😆

coogan
    Free Member

No idea what they weight and don’t really care.

davidxbrown
    Free Member

Turning out to be a bit of fun down the local bike shop weighing bikes, Nic the manager is keeping a record and as Alex says the same scales are used for all so it levels the playing field.

My Remedy with a mix of XT / XTR. Hopetech M4 and XFusion Slants and tubed as opposed tubeless tyres, reverb and Flats came in at 30lb.

The C456 with XTR, XO and Avids, Fox 32, KS Post and flats came in at 28lb complete with some mud as I was on my way home from a ride.

I could do a couple of things to trim the weight a little more on both bikes but that would impact the post ride beer fund 🙂

colournoise

Rob Hilton – Member
    spreadsheet of claimed weight
    Get out more

I would if it weren’t for not being able to ride for four weeks (so far) with a bust up knee).

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Lightest bike I’ve ever built was a ti 456 built as an ss. It weighed in at 22.5 lbs.

My HL 5 spot got as light as 27.5lbs once and my latest bike a Sultan weighs 30.5 lbs

I’ve mostly been frustrated rather than surprised by the weight of my bikes over the years, but I’ve come to accept they are what they are. I’m hardly a lightweight myself.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

So what light weight grease to reduce weight on my bike ?

Northwind

Dales_rider – Member

So what light weight grease to reduce weight on my bike ?

I used to use lithium-based grease but I recently switched to helium-based.

maxtorque

Define “accurate” ?

During my recent rebuild (due to cracked frame) whilst my Zesty was apart i took all the bits to work and used the inspection depts. 0.1gram scales (with current ISO tracable calibration certificate) to weight all the parts. I then rounded up to the nearest gram and put this together:

Realistically i think that’s about as good as it is possible to get in terms of mass certainty. Of course, i immediately negated all that work by then fitting a CaneCreek BDair shock and some chunky HansDampfs…….. 😉

maxtorque

BTW, i think we need a “STWer” scale for bike weights, and i propose the following:

BIKE < 22lb = Absolute Flyer
    22lb < BIKE < 27lb = Good n’light but it cost me
    27lb < BIKE < 30 = Usable, but i saved a few ££
    30lb < BIKE < 35lb = Chunky, but it keeps me fit
    35lb < BIKE < INF = There’d better be an uplift or i’m having a tantrum

What do you reckon?? 😉

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Define “Bike”

Saccades
    Free Member

maxtorque – weighed my complete bike to E2 class…

32lb

ajantom

Weighed my indy fab steel deluxe SS on some proper digital scales the other day – 18.2 lbs 8)

br
    Free Member

Yep, if these 26lb bikes actually weighed 26lb, then mine would be 22lb 🙂

And Alex, a Yeti? 😳 Are you really that old now?

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Orange Five size 18. Self build 28.6 with pedals and dropper post.
    Sektor rl sl fork
    Fox evo shock
    Truvativ cranks
    Alex rim front
    Mavic 521 rear
    Avid elixir 5 brakes.

langylad
    Free Member

Stood on my bathroom scales to weigh myself, then stood on them again whilst holding my whyte xt120, 26.5lbs heavier. Top science 🙂

psling
    Free Member

I am a great believer in the totally unscientifically proven “some bikes ride lighter” irrespective of their actual weight 8)

RobHilton
    Free Member

colournoise – Member

I would if it weren’t for not being able to ride for four weeks (so far) with a bust up knee).

I see, keep up the good n+1 planning while you’re down.

Hmmm… knee injury sounds familiar from FB – Rob what rides a BFe with Wakerley Wheelers?
    I’ll be Rob what rides singlespeed *waves* (& hopes you recover soon)

stevede
    Free Member

Pitchpro2011 – are the parts listed the only parts fitted? If so I believe your quoted weight

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Your more than welcome to weight it for yourself.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/orange-five-weights. Some 27 pounders there. Doesn’t pedal like is light hence the heavy reputation.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

On One 456 about 29lb, not bad as it’s got EX721’s and the rest is built from the parts bin.

seavers
    Free Member

It’s a planted bike for sure. You have it at a nice weight though.

My spec is:

2010 5
    RS 150mm -120mm DPC
    Hope 2 evo Stans ZTR Flow Rim
    XT everything
    GD Turbo
    Elixir 5 barkes
    Maxxis Ignitor F&R

I have never had it on scales but expect it to be over 30lbs

What tires do you run, pitchpro2011?

timc
    Free Member

always the most optimistic threads these weight ones 🙂

colournoise

Rob Hilton – Member
    I see, keep up the good n+1 planning while you’re down.
    Hmmm… knee injury sounds familiar from FB – Rob what rides a BFe with Wakerley Wheelers?
    I’ll be Rob what rides singlespeed *waves* (& hopes you recover soon)

Top internets detective work! What a small virtual world this is.

5 (stir crazy) weeks and counting now. Hoping to get on the turbo this weekend to see if the knee bends enough for some gentle pootling (and – erm – the Rocket test ride I have booked with Cotic for June 8).

See you at Fineshades at some point.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve done the research version of maxtorques spreadsheet based on claimed weight of stuff. On that I’m aiming for a 29lb build that will probably come out around 31. Though I might weigh it with no sealant in the tyres and the pedals off.

seavers
    Free Member

I can totally see the point of having the lightest bike possible if you race.
    Or maybe you have bought something carbon and it comes in over what you expect and you want it down to a certain weight. Each to their own and that. I mostly ride with lighter riders that have lighter bikes but bike weight really does not have all that much to do with who gets up first. It’s fitness, strength and skill.
    If I never gym it or bike much they crap on me. If I get it together and work out 4-5 times a week plus rides I crap on them.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I weighed mine the other day. 27lb steel hardtail. It weighs even more with me on it. I wuz shocked.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Hans dampf and highroller big fat heavy tyres, the pitch was 30.9 or somewhere around that so I expected the five to be heavier than that. The pitch climbed easier and my friends canyon pedalled noticably easier the second I sat on it so I don’t think weight really matters that much. The five feels much better to ride than those two regardless

Onzadog
    Free Member

Turner 6 pack
    Coil shock
    Van 36 forks
    3×9 drive train
    V2 brakes
    Dropper post
    2.4″ rubber queen ust tyres

34.8 lbs

I was expecting more but everyone comments on how it rides light.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Real bike weights..’ is closed to new replies.