Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Real ale wobble – tyre choice
  • teenrat

Doing the real ale wobble in a couple of weeks. Currently debating over tyre choice.

What is the route like – is it technical or long gravel/xc drags? Muddy, rocks, roots?. Current combo choice is barzo front with peyote rear or trail king front and mountain king rear

Thanks

itchy99
    Free Member

After several Ales I would have thought tyre choice would be the least of my worries!

walleater

I haven’t done it in 15+ years, and assuming it’s in the same place IIRC it was ” long gravel/xc drags”. At this point I just have vague memories of sleeping in a field and a buddy puking on the first climb though!

singlespeedstu

In short it’s normally long gravel drags with a few rocky bits and a fair few muddy rutted sections.
    Its more about surviving the drinking and curry/ hog roast than what tyres.

nickjb
    Free Member

This. If you are asking technical questions then you might be missing the point a little. Take bike, ride bike, drink beer, eat food. Also get muddy

IdleJon

In short it’s normally long gravel drags with a few rocky bits and a fair few muddy rutted sections.

Are we talking about the same Real Ale Wobble that I did a few years ago where we were handed approximately a third of a pint of beer for each of the checkpoint tokens? (Three checkpoints, iirc?)

My only memory of the course was that the first off-road section was a flooded track which was indistinguishable from a stream. I don’t remember there being any stunningly good sections of track. Shame really, as it took me years to get around to riding it and I was distinctly underwhelmed, despite having ridden plenty of good trails in that area at other times.

itchy99
    Free Member

That’s the one. I’ve done it a few times with non-cycling mates – it’s the only time they ever get out on a bike.
    To that end, I’ve always viewed it as a beer/food weekend with a bit of mtbing thrown in rather than the other way around. And yes, the course is rather underwhelming but that isn’t really the point of it 🍺🍺🍺

IdleJon

And yes, the course is rather underwhelming but that isn’t really the point of it 🍺🍺🍺

It’s 50 miles from here, so too local to me to be worth staying up there, so, yes, I’d be missing the point. 😀

duncancallum

I can’t remember what tyres I had on. I know I had fun.

Doesn’t really help

singlespeedstu

Are we talking about the same Real Ale Wobble that I did a few years ago where we were handed approximately a third of a pint of beer for each of the checkpoint tokens? (Three checkpoints, iirc?)

You’re not going to get pissed on the ride unless you take a few of your own extras with you. 😉

I don’t remember there being any stunningly good sections of track.

That’s because there aren’t any in the Wobble.
    Its more a drinking event with bikes as an extra not the other way round. 😀

Surviving the stairdiving/phall eating/ drinking/jumping up and down to Dangerous Dave is the name of the game.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Real ale wobble – tyre choice’ is closed to new replies.