• This topic has 53 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by luke.
Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • real ale – tankard or straight glass?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s answered well in Magnus Mills’ “Restraint of Beasts” (Booker Prize, early 90s)

Straight glasses all the way.

Stoner
    Free Member

CFH – very nice pub.

If you’d only pm me I can email you when Im heading through. Might pop in again tonight.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Fillitup please.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

straight glass but line measure

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Oversized glasses are great TJ, but you end up getting even more drunk if not careful.

The Number 22 in Darlo serves beer in them, magic.

mogrim

The Chimay glass above serves a purpose and makes such heady brews nicer to drink!

Have to disagree, the Chimay glass is crap. I like these, or a straight+bulge pint glass…

Less head on it, though!

kimbers

or maybe a bacon one?

miketually
    Free Member

The Number 22 in Darlo serves beer in them, magic.

Ace pub!

CountZero

Over here in the west country straight glasses have always been called sleeves, rather than sleevers. It’s rare to find a pub these days that have dimpled glasses with handles; I can’t remember when I last saw one, but I always get my beer in a sleeve so don’t notice what others have.
    TBH, I don’t really care what my beer gets served in, so long as it stays in the container.

BigJohn

It’s rare to find a pub these days that have dimpled glasses with handles

Because they’re lethal in a bar-room brawl. I think all glasses have to be tempered or toughened to stop them being used as weapons.

Admiralable
    Free Member

I always have my first pint in

Thats what my grandad always drank from.

After that a normal straight pint glass.

brakes
    Free Member

prefer a nice glass dimpled tankard for my ale, you can get more head in your face and it allows for a nice open gullet gulping action rather than the sippage you get from straight glasses.

luke
    Free Member

Certain ale’s taste better in a pewter tankard, but not all and I didn’t mind keeping a tankard behind the bar when I had a regular local, butcarrying it around with you can make you a nob.

For me the quality of the beer is more important than the vessel it’s served in.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘real ale – tankard or straight glass?’ is closed to new replies.