• This topic has 53 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by luke.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • real ale – tankard or straight glass?
  • senorj

When you are offered , which do you prefer?

I’m straight.
    but sometimes tankard. 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Sleaver every time.
    And Im a pro real ale drinker 😉

miketually
    Free Member

straight

aP
    Free Member

Depends if your name’s Colin and you have a beard, or not.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

I’m from ‘ooop north, proper red neck country, so all the proper boozers round here the older men have their own they keep behind the bar.

I’d want this one…..

Cougar

What the geoff is a sleaver?

I’m not sure as I have a preference. Last time I was offered a choice, I took the pint-pot-with-handle just because of the novelty of actually being offered it.

allthepies
    Free Member

I have one of these -> http://www.provenancecoopering.co.uk/large-cherryash-tankard-39-p.asp and a lovely piece of work it is 🙂

But I don’t use it much, straight glass is my quaffing glass of choice.

Stoner
    Free Member

My dad keeps an old georgian half pint glass with handle behind the bar of his local (for zyder).

I have a couple of pewter tankards but cant stand drinking out of them.

Glasses I have at home are Pint and half pint beer festival sleevers, suit me fine.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Ooooooooh s’pretty! The glass bottom ones were so you could see if the navy had put a coin in weren’t they?

montylikesbeer

Say no more!!!!

Always a straight glass, post 1981 and I am from the North as well

Cougar

ll the proper boozers round here the older men have their own they keep behind the bar.

Funnily enough, the only place I’ve ever seen that done was in South Wales.

Stoner
    Free Member

sleever (my typo, sleaver) might just be a local name (Glos/Worcs) but its a tapered, handleless, glass sometimes with a bulge at the top, sometimes without (I think technically they ought to have rthe bulge)

EDIT: From the internetz

Nobody from the UK wrote to say that they knew of schooner as a term for a beer glass. However, Tim Nott introduced me to another term: “In Cheltenham, where I lived 17 years ago, a sleever was a tall thin half-pint or pint beer glass without a handle.” This is well known, I discover, as a British term for a slightly tapered glass with a bulge near the top. Online sources suggest it has that name because they can be stacked, or sleeved. The term is also known in Australia, where a long-sleever is a large glass of beer.

Cougar

Oh, is it show and tell? I’ve got something similar to this at home,

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Cougar – Member

ll the proper boozers round here the older men have their own they keep behind the bar.

Funnily enough, the only place I’ve ever seen that done was in South Wales.

Perhaps that sounded like they all have them, didn’t mean that just meant I’ve lived in a few places round Wigan & Bolton and seen it alot :mrgreen:

Cougar

A Schooner glass is the over-tall ones, like you get Stella in sometimes, no? (I’ve got a Hard Rock Cafe branded one).

The description there of Sleever sounds like a regular bar pint glass. Which would make sense – they’re designed to stack together, hence sleeve.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

ps: am I allowed to have mine in this……?

Cougar

Fruit-based drink, Bagpuss?

bagpuss72
    Free Member

I always have my 5 a day dear 😀

wine = grapes = fruit = 5 a day

senorj

A few years ago a friend of mine was clearing out a bar cellar & he gave me a lovely matching set of Jennings 1pint & 1/2 pint tankards.
    I get them out for Christmas. 😀
    classy.

Cumberland Ale mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Stoner
    Free Member

having all whole-heartedly agreed that the standard sleever/bar pint class is supreme. What crap glasses have you come acorss?

Just no!

arse-clenchingly retarded

annoying

toby1

Whatever the beer festival glass from the Cambs beer fest is usually will do, I’m not fussy about the glass it comes in just the way it tastes and goes down!

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I prefer a thin glass, but like a dimpled tankard on occasion for the novelty factor.

Plus, Michael Caine in Get Carter asks for a thin glass when he arrives off the train in Newcastle and he is cool:

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Can’t stand tankards. Look great, but much prefer a straight thin glass.

Klunk
    Free Member

how about something like this ? 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Chimay glass above serves a purpose and makes such heady brews nicer to drink!

Proper ale, though – Straight is the only way. Also, decent lights behind the bar so you can see the quality (or otherwise!) of the beer.

miketually
    Free Member

The Chimay glass above serves a purpose and makes such heady brews nicer to drink!

I don’t a proper Chimay glass, but tend to drink Belgian Monk Juice from a wide wine glass we acquired from somewhere.

My favourite pint glasses are the Bristol and Dalby SSUK glasses.

Whisky tastes nicer from certain glasses.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

how about something like this ? 😉

Is it me, or does that look more like a pic of Harry than William?

samuri
    Free Member

Perhaps that sounded like they all have them, didn’t mean that just meant I’ve lived in a few places round Wigan & Bolton and seen it alot

Aye, me too. But they don’t bring them out on fight nights in case they get broken. I don’t like tankards myself. Straight glass every time.

Holmesey
    Free Member

genuine story from late 80s, we stopped in a welsh pub (NW) on way back from a diving trip, as a bunch of spotty students.
    Landlord (v grumpy) puts pints on bar. One lad asked for his pint in a glass without a handle at which point Mr Grumpy produced a gas spanner and just smashed the handle off. we drank our beer, filtering bits of glass dust and got the flock out of town sharpish. gotta like that druid hospitality!

Stoner
    Free Member

CFH – I was in the Cask last night. check ur old threads 😉

john_drummer
    Free Member

Never heard the name ‘sleever’ before but the description sounds like what I know as a schooner.
    Lager comes in a schooner round here, proper beer comes in either a straight glass or a slightly wavy-sided one.
    Glass tankards are unheard of

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Using a tankard to drink ale is like using a Babycham glass to drink champagne.

binners

You’re all frightfully uncouth. The Italians got it right. They wouldn’t be seen, surrounded by underage hookers, during a game of Bunga Bunga* at Silvio’s place with a ‘tankard’, you animals!!!

* I’ve read about this an awful lot, but I have no idea what this actually is. I’m too scared to Google it. Some things are best left alone 😯

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have several pewter tankards, including one with a glass bottom, also SSUK pint glasses and a Budweiser stein that I won at bikefest one year. This last has a pewter lid, a big handle and is actually quite irritating to drink from. 🙂

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Binners I recognise that glass….. 😛

BigJohn

I prefer a tulip glass to a nonic.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

A jar. Or a pewter tankard with a bat motif on it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    CFH – I was in the Cask last night. check ur old threads

You could have mentioned it before…! I ride past most nights! And, for once I was actually free/in the country last night!

What did you think of the place then? Pretty impressive beer range, non?

kimbers

i tend to use one of these

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘real ale – tankard or straight glass?’ is closed to new replies.