Real Ale help needed

Home Forum Chat Forum Real Ale help needed

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Real Ale help needed
  • VassagoJay

Its a pretty long list so just have a scan through when you get a chance πŸ™‚

pantsonfire

You jammy git I now hate you πŸ™‚

Heres my reccomendations
    Black Sheep Riggwelter
    Hydes Traditional
    Kelham Island Pale Rider
    Oakham JHB
    Slaters Owzat
    Woodfords Wherry

May your liver go peacefully into the night

kinda666

Adnams Broadside
    Black Sheep Ale
    Deuchars IPA (my fav)
    Wadworth 6x
    Oakhams JHB

I've heard the Brewdog Punk IPA is good too but have yet to try it!

Premier Icon Nick
    Subscriber

Crouch Vale beers are v.nice.

Darkstar Hop Head

Hopback (I prefer Crop Circle to Summer lightning)

Salopian Hop Twister

Woodfordes

But it's a massive list so I'd be trying as many beers I'd never had before.

bigsi

Dark Star of Ansty is good and would be a definate on my list πŸ˜€

Premier Icon Nick
    Subscriber

I would also avoid any 'IPA' with a alc % of less than 5.5%, cos it ain't an IPA and the brewer is therefore an idiot (Greene King, take note), although at beer festivals I normally go for low gravity beers anyway, 3.4-3.8 is perfect, for obvious reasons!

Hop Back – Ace stuff, especially the Lightning!
    Oakham JHB, lovely light beer.

VassagoJay

Great stuff guys, keep it coming.

JHB is a great beer but will give it a miss as it's a local beer Brewed in Peterborough so readily available all year round πŸ™‚

Hop Back Summer lightning is the first pint we have every year, it's been that way for about15 years or so !! sells out very quickly

VassagoJay

I've got tonight, Weds night, all-dayer on Thurs and fri night to try them out so should get to try quite a few.

kinda666

Shame the Enville ginger beer isn't on!

VassagoJay

They also have a good selection of Ciders

ciders mmmm

And a good selection of bottled beers

Bottled beers

Roosters of Knaresborough, N Yorks
    Yankee 4.3% abv
    Straw coloured beer with a delicate fruit aroma

Is one I drink often – recommended.

I tried a new one at the weekend too – Thwaites Bomber. Pity it isn't at the festival because it is strongly recommended by me!

Premier Icon simon1975
    Subscriber

***THORNBRIDGE JAIPUR*** πŸ™‚

If you like that try Abbeydale Absolution, Blue Monkey ("Amber"?), Oakham White Dwarf, Castle Rock Harvest Pale and Nottingham EPA, Leeds Funfair

If you like something darker then you might struggle with that list, but there's plenty to go at!

Mmmm beer…

Also, no idea if it is just me, but I find that Theakston's always gives me a bad head.

But they HAVE just moved production back to Masham (its original home) so maybe it will be improved on the previous version, which was made elsewhere in a big sterile factory, rather than in a field with cows and sticks and sheep turds n stuff as it should be made ;-).

Premier Icon feenster
    Subscriber

I'm a big fan of light-coloured, aromatic, citrusy, hoppy, bitter ales at the moment, and from this list I recommend:

Brewdog – Punk IPA
    Loch Fyne – Avalanche

IanMunro

I'd say pretty much anything. Unless you're spitting the stuff out immediately, your palette is going to be tainted by the last drink, so you're going to get a pretty skewed idea of it's taste anyway. Just try the stuff you like the name of really πŸ™‚

langy

I've been so messy on Sumer Lightning – be careful, it's very quaffable!

VassagoJay

Right then, the Peterborough Beer Festival starts today and I've got the rest of the week off work πŸ™‚ The last couple of years I've asked for Real Ale guidance from you guys and It's really paid off so I thought I'd give it another go.

The link to the beer list is below

http://www.peterborough-camra.org.uk/index.php?module=pbfbeer&func=main

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance, Jason

if you like any of these:
    Woodforde's of Woodbastwick, Norfolk
    Headcracker 7% abv
    Pale but strong & full-bodied. Plums, damsons and lots of hops.
    Nelson's Revenge 4.5% abv
    Rich floral aromas, sweet malts & a burst of citrus hops.
    Norfolk Nog 4.6% abv
    Smooth rich old ale. Hints of chocolate, treacle & liquorice.
    Sundew 4.1% abv
    Subtle pale golden beer. Light on the palate with distinctive hoppy finish.
    Wherry Best Bitter 3.8% abv
    Fresh and zesty with crisp floral flavours. Numerous Champion Beer of Britain awards.

then they do home brew kits – which are very very good. (cept for headcracker which is available only in bottles)

luke

I like to try ale's that I can't readily get my hands on, so I wouldn't bother with Hopback, wadworths and several others.
    Art brew are making some cracking ales and would have featured at the BBB but there flat out and to supply us would have meant ordering a long way in advance.

Premier Icon richmars
    Subscriber

I've been very impressed with Oakham, always good, never had a bad one.

porterclough

Thornbridge Jaipur (you can't go wrong with anything from Thornbridge) or Kelham Island Pale Rider if you like pale ales, if you prefer darker beers try Abbeydale Brimstone.

porterclough

Oops double post

porterclough

Thornbridge Jaipur (you can't go wrong with anything from Thornbridge) or Kelham Island Pale Rider if you like pale ales, if you prefer darker beers try Abbeydale Brimstone.

jimster

Crumbs, looking at that selection is really peeing me off!!

They're having one at Malvern Rugby Club and the Chase Inn at the weekend!!

Premier Icon speaker2animals
    Subscriber

I do like Adnams myself, Broadside esp. Riggwelter too. Try a couple of Brewdogs. I had a bottle last night, one of the IPAs at 7.1%. VERY bitter. Very Chimay nose so the taste was a surprise.

A lot of new breweries to me so I'd be trying some new beers personally.

That is one hell of a list!

cxi

I have vague memories of getting merry on Broadside when it was a guest beer at the local.

Not sure I've this brew before, but I'm a big fan of the brewery
    (it's a shame "Dark Side of the Moose" isn't available):

Purple Moose of Porthmadog – Glaslyn Ale 4.2% abv

Likewise the brews from Salopian of Shrewsbury. The Bhurt Pore quite often has something from them on.

Would be rude not to try one of the perrys as well, given it'll be proper stuff and not the trendy pish that has appeared in bars these days.

allthepies

Bowman is a great brewery – their Swift One is lovely
    Crouch Vale – Brewers Gold
    Dark Star – Hophead – LOVELY!
    Thornbridge – Jairpur – proper IPA, taste the hops!

mt

Beer! lots of beer! Drink it all.

nobtwidler

Leeds Pale Fantastic or start at the top of the list and work your way down!

Dobbo

Double Diamond
    Watneys Red Barrel

Premier Icon Mr Agreeable
    Subscriber

Box Steam Vanilla Porter is pretty much the nicest pint I've had this year.

Quick scan of that list, and I'd recommend these for starters…
    AllendaleBrewery
    Black Grouse Bitter 4% abv
    Hints of coffee & chocolate with an oak aged aroma
    Tar Bar'l 4.5% abv
    Smooth dark stout with a creamy brown head

Kingston Black cider gets my vote…Beautiful flavoured stuff, but damn strong…..

Dark Star Hophead . Its alight golden bitter , when i had it aat Woking BF was the best by a mile. Clean citrus hop flavours and a lot of alpha acid. Not everyones cup of tea, and definatly not one to start with. Then I would try a Mighty Oak Maulldons Gold. They brew really nice beer , and at this ABV band you can sup a fair few. If you wanna try lots try it on and ask for tasters, or get halfs and share them, that way you get to taste enough ( 1/4 pint ) without getting spannered. Be aware tho, hop alapha acid will de sensitive your taste buds, so more bitter beers will not taste as bitter after 3/4 pint. If you really wanna do it properly try to get some soda water or lemonade and some plain crisps to have between tastings. Find one you really like and then get right on one!
    if you see Rudeboy make sure hes accompanied by an adult.

allthepies

>when i had it aat Woking BF was the best by a mile.

I was there – seconded! Booked tickets today for this years festival also πŸ™‚

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

Crouch Vale Brewers Gold
    Mauldons Black Adder and Suffolk Pride
    Skinners Cornish Knocker
    would be my choices

I dont have to buy tickets for beer festivals , they get delivered to work for free. Hurrah .

john_drummer

take a printout of the list to your local supermarket(s) and/or beer sellers. Cross off anything that is readily available at these fine establishments.

then fill yer boots

Toombsy

Harveys Best Bitter

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Real Ale help needed’ is closed to new replies.