Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Readers’ Rides – Andy’s Geometron G1
  • stwhannah
    Northwind

Good idea this!

rOcKeTdOg

Only it’s mother and Andy could love that. Those long bikes look a bit like a kids drawing of a bike too me, the proportions look all wrong somehow. But I guess Andy loves it so that’s all that matters ultimately

Northwind

I don’t like the blue highlights, but other’n that it looks fantastic to me. It’s long, sure, but the travel and the big wheels keep it in proportion, and the lines are classic and functional…

twistedpencil

rOcKeTdOg is wrong, I think they are lovely, although I realise when I get a new bike it won’t feature in STW as Andy beat me to it…

Sneaks a peak at the Geometron website…

136stu
    Free Member

Steampunk bike

Rubber_Buccaneer

rOcKeTdOg is wrong

Yeah, I follow him on Instagram and know his tastes to be a little dodgy 😀. As the owner of an Ion GPI (early generation Geometron with gearbox) I think Andy’s bike looks great, very functional.

jonnyv
    Free Member

nice!

DezB
    Free Member

The form I filled in asked for bike weight, but not given for this, which would be an interesting item for me.

tetrode
    Free Member

Thanks for showing my bike off Hannah!

Should he feed his lawn?

It’s in the process of being fed I’ll have you know. 4 months ago this whole garden was horrible gravel, and we’ve done a buttload of work to get the grass growing from seed. You should have seen it before!

The form I filled in asked for bike weight, but not given for this, which would be an interesting item for me.

I don’t know what it weighs and I don’t particularly care. Yeah it’s not a light bike, but it’s not as heavy as you think it would be. It gets me uphill just as well as my old trail bike, and that’s what matters to me.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, but I’d just be interested. Sorry for being interested.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Yeah, but I’d just be interested. Sorry for being interested

Well it’ll weigh 29lb, just like every other bike anyone ever “anounces” the weight of despite 6lb of tyres alone. That is of course unless it’s an XC bike (21lb) or a road bike (15lb)

mudfish

Good choice. Almost exactly like my totally all black XL hybrid. Lovely bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

Let’s have a sweepstake, I’m going for 35.5lbs.

nickc

Looks cool, (This is a god idea, more please) Question, that must be the nth Geometron I’ve seen with a saddle that is quite nose down, Is there a reason?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

@nickc Not sure that it is nose down, if you look at the photo cropped across the top of the saddle it actually looks fairly level? I thunk it’s a trick of the relatively high front end and camera angle.

tetrode
    Free Member

Yeah, but I’d just be interested. Sorry for being interested.

No need to be snarky about it. It’s probably around 34/35lbs I would imagine.

Not sure that it is nose down, if you look at the photo cropped across the top of the saddle it actually looks fairly level? I thunk it’s a trick of the relatively high front end and camera angle.

The first photo it is a little more nose down than the rest of them. Just tweaking the setup. Angling the nose down seems to be good when doing steeper climbs.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I think it looks nice, but then, I do own a g15.
    Anyone who owns a gravel bike, has no place slagging off the looks of someone else’s bike 😁

mboy
    Free Member

Only it’s mother and Andy could love that. Those long bikes look a bit like a kids drawing of a bike too me, the proportions look all wrong somehow.

We were used to 26″ wheels on XL sized frames with 130mm stems and 560mm wide bars for a decade, before they quickly ceased to be the norm. Then we had 29er wheels crammed into short and upright frames even down to an XS size, wheelbases still only just over 1m long, and we were used to seeing those for a while too…

Mountain Bike geometry at the more extreme use end is thankfully getting more progressive and inline with the off-road motorcycles they have more in common with than road bikes.

Besides, Nicolai’s and especially Geometrons have always been a “form follows function” product, which for many of us, increases the appeal as we know there have been no performance compromises made just to make it look prettier to someone who doesn’t get the geometry…

I think it looks nice, but then, I do own a g15.

G15 owner here too… 👍🏻

SirHC

Don’t see many with blue bits.

Managed to kill the raceface next cranks, XTR’s on there now.

tetrode
    Free Member

Yes! I was surprised too of the lack of black and blue G1s. So very happy with mine, I’m still in the phase of just looking at it and admiring it.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

No need to be snarky about it. It’s probably around 34/35lbs I would imagine.

He’s not being snarky. He saw an article describing a bike. He read the article and asked a very relevant question about some info that wasn’t included in the article. At which point you got a trifle ruffled and dismissed his question.

tetrode
    Free Member

He’s not being snarky. He saw an article describing a bike. He read the article and asked a very relevant question about some info that wasn’t included in the article. At which point you got a trifle ruffled and dismissed his question.

What about my reply was ruffled?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

This bit:

I don’t know what it weighs and I don’t particularly care. Yeah it’s not a light bike, but it’s not as heavy as you think it would be. It gets me uphill just as well as my old trail bike, and that’s what matters to me.

Looks a tad ruffled to me. 😝
    Not sure why I’m getting involved TBH.
    Oh yes, I’m bored, at work and the weather’s mince.

tetrode
    Free Member

What about that looks ruffled? Still a bit confused about that. I honestly don’t care about the weight, and let him know that I didn’t know how much it weighed. The fact that I’ve lost 15kgs of bodyweight this year kind of outweighs any amount of bike weight increase in my mind.

I also think most people focus way too much on bike weights. Unless you’re racing XC there are so many other things about a bike that are more important than weight, like suspension design and setup, geometry etc.

honourablegeorge

35 sounds about right, mine is 35 with lighter wheels/tyres, but with oneup tool/frame bag with tube and spares/mudguards/tyre insert and a fair bit of dirt on it

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Oh yes, I’m bored, at work and the weather’s mince.

I have zero sympathy for you. May here has been stunningly bright and clear between the hours of 10am and 4pm, Monday to Friday, followed by biblical rain at all other times. (Afew miles up the road they’d had double the monthly rainfall by the 14th of the month). The only exception has been 2 or three weekdays where its been foul all day.

I’d take the days of solidly awful weather over the torment of seeing golden sunshine out of the office window all day but knowing every free moment will be torrential downpour, like my own little slice of tartarus.

boltonjon

I got one last week but its still in the box waiting for some parts to arrive

The levels of traction & confidence it gave me during the test ride was incredible

I’m 6ft 4″ and this is the first bike that felt like it actually fitted me

The demo day was top quality as well. More of a coaching session and no hard sell at the end

I’m expecting 36 to 37lbs

nickc

I’m 6ft 4″ and this is the first bike that felt like it actually fitted me

I hear this loads with modern bikes getting longer and longer, I’m a regular sized 5,10″ I can’t imagine what it feels like to get on, what must feel like, a properly sized bike. It must be pretty ace, like getting shoes that fit?

Angling the nose down seems to be good when doing steeper climbs.

Follow-up, sorry. Is it Geometron thing, or just a long bike thing?

weight doesn’t seem all that heavy to me, it’s about what my Spesh Enduro is I reckon.

honourablegeorge

nickc

Follow-up, sorry. Is it Geometron thing, or just a long bike thing?

More a steep seat angle thing. That said, my saddle is flat.

mattvanders
    Free Member

Got a mk 1 geomatron and have had it for a few years now. Nose done seats tend to aid comfort on your junk because the stretched out riding position means weight is evenly distributed between your arse and hands (fine it very difficult to ride no handed now). The angle of the seat takes the pressure of your junk in the normal climbing position, flatter rides can be a bit more uncomfortable if you don’t adjust the seat.

As for weight, most nicolais are are 15 but that’s a ‘weight break/downhill tyres’ build but be surprised how well they still climb (mate does 4000ft/30miler most weekends on his)

nickc

Thanks, makes sense 👍

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m a regular sized 5,10″ I can’t imagine what it feels like to get on, what must feel like, a properly sized bike. It must be pretty ace, like getting shoes that fit?

Maybe you haven’t got a bike that fits properly yet then?

😉

I’m 5ft 8in and had a lightbulb moment when I got a large Kona Process 111 in about 2015. Suddenly I wasn’t falling off all the time and going fast felt calmer.

I’m still on the same 460mm reach now for my trail bikes – bit longer for my big bike.

nickc

Maybe you haven’t got a bike that fits properly yet then?

My bike fits just fine. My comment was that for larger folk getting now, longer and larger bikes might be a good thing?

danposs86

tetrode’s first post on here replying to the lawn feed and weight did come across as very snarky.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

cool bike, great idea for a feature @stwhannah

It wouldn’t be singletrack without snarkiness and tit for tat lolz

tetrode
    Free Member

tetrode’s first post on here replying to the lawn feed and weight did come across as very snarky.

Yeah that was supposed to be playfully snarky since Hannah’s was the same. Who knew completely renovating a garden took so much work xD

stwhannah

Gosh, you lot are a bit fighty. Please submit more bikes so I can write more cheeky captions. 😘

@tetrode
    I hear wildflower meadows are the next big thing and STW is behind the curve when it comes to lawn biodiversity.

nedrapier

Well it’ll weigh 29lb, just like every other bike anyone ever “announces” the weight of despite 6lb of tyres alone.

Ha! Mine does actually weigh 29lbs, but it’s a ti hardtail. With a mere 5.3lbs of tyres on it.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I hear wildflower meadows are the next big thing and STW is behind the curve when it comes to lawn biodiversity.

I’m tempted to submit mine now just so I’ve an excuse to photograph it (largely hidden) in the long grass before I have to cut it. Next door’s cat is going to be very upset when I do and he can no longer play at being a tiger.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Readers’ Rides – Andy’s Geometron G1’ is closed to new replies.