Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Re-usable chain links
  • mudfish

Hi all,
    Just moving to 11 speed and, as it’s a SRAM XO1 cassette this time, I was thinking of going back to the old “3 chains on rotation” method of preserving the drivetrain. Absolute black (whose oval rings I really like) receommend this too. It does make sense.

But of course there’s the issue of re-using those removable links. Some of which are officially one-shot only.
    Have people had issues with “one shot” links failing when reused?
    KMC do list options recommended for re-use: http://www.kmcchain.eu/connector-mtb
    But how come the official removable / re-usable version is so expensive? About £11 or 3 x the regular link cost.
    Has anyone tried re- using the SRAM link that coes with the XX1 chain (that chain was recommnded as it’s apparently their hardest wearing one, so not too bad at £33).

I imagine this will have been discussed, but a search didn’t reveal the thread. Any thoughts please?
    Recommendations?

Thanks, Neil

sam_underhill

I’ve had no problems reusing links on X01 11 speed stuff. YMMV.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m running 4 in rotation and keep reusing 11speed (kmc) links with no issues so far.

DezB
    Free Member

You need to look on ebay – SRAM 11 sped for about £4, KMC x2 for £5. Even Shimano (I didn’t know they made them!) for £6.

pedlad

Clark’s ones at Halfords? Price for two links varies massively though between the speeds 9 -11 (not sure about 12)

FOG

I had Sram 11spd link break after reuse but a mate with the same chain has reused his a couple of times with no issues so must be luck of the draw.
    When the link broke the only spare we could come up with was an ancient 8 or 9 spd that had been at the bottom of somebody’s pack for years. It was fine , finished the ride with no issues and would probably be still there if I hadn’t had Link Paranoia and replaced it with 11spd

mudfish

Thanks everyone, in my search for a reasonably priced “missing-link” I ended up at Wiggle and chatting to a very knowledgeable mechanic who also s races Enduro. Lucky me. He reckoned (personal opinion) that reusing is fine, he’d reused SRAM and KMD links 10 times plus with no issues.
    SO overall I’m going to use the standard link
    and start a thread on Ceramic Speed lube which, basically seems to be bloody amazing.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I’ve re-used existing links more times than I care to remember

KMC chains have been my choice for several years now and the supplied links have proven fine to split and re-use

I only once had an issue where a SRAM powerlink came apart while riding on an old DH bike, but it was an old and a clearly very worn one

enigmas
    Free Member

I’m rotating chains on my eagle drivechain and must have reused the Sean powerlinks 5 or 6 times and not had one snap on me uet?.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

Stupid question —but what exactly is “3 chains in rotation” – does mean that you have three chains that you swap around on the same drive train periodically?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Yep, think so. I think chains wear faster than rings. So you’ll get through three chains by the time your ring is borked.

But of course if you put your 2nd and 3rd brand new chain onto a ring that’s already been worn by the first stretched knackered chain then it won’t fit too well.

So you rotate the chains through the life of the ring to keep all four in approximately the same state of wear as each other.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

PS. I know **** all about bike maintenance so the above may well be complete bollocks.

🙂

nickc

Some of which are officially one-shot only.

My understanding is that it can be broken as many times as needed, just dispose of it when you dispose of the chain. i.e. as long as the link isn’t used for a different chain, all is good. the theory being that it wears out along with the chain, and you’re not using a worn link on a new chain

personally,  I’m not sure rotating chains extends the life of your drivetrain, but that’s an argument for a different thread, I guess.

DezB
    Free Member

So you rotate the chains through the life of the ring to keep all four in approximately the same state of wear as each other.

Er, and thereby saving money on having to buy chains more often… it’s brilliant 😆

mudfish

Thanks everyone

bgascoyne
    Free Member

But of course if you put your 2nd and 3rd brand new chain onto a ring that’s already been worn by the first stretched knackered chain then it won’t fit too well

I’m on my third chain on my current front chain ring and rear cassette and no issues to date. I change the chain when I get to 0.5 wear. However I have noticed that they are getting to 0.5 faster each time. Next time it might be a new drive train or probably just wear it down to its all completely dead! Certainly cheaper to buy new chains more often that a new rear cassette.

snooze
    Free Member

I use Wippermann Connex links, they are re-usable and easier to connect and dis-connect by hand (i.e. without chain link pliers) than other links, which can be useful out on the trail.

mudfish

Thx
    Yeah i used to use connex, they dont seem to do 11 speed sadly.

fooman

I seem to recall the reason some links are ‘one shot’ is there’s a patent on reusable links. Not that you can’t reuse them, it’s more they can’t call them reusable.

I just checked the Google patent archive, and it says the patent expires today!

tthew

I bought 2 KMC ones in an emergency from Evans cycles last night 12 quid! Should have asked them to price match I suppose, but that’s the premium for not planning ahead.

mudfish

Thanks for the input everyone

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Re-usable chain links’ is closed to new replies.