Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Re-proofing paramo problem
  • angeldust
    Free Member

Has anyone ever had a Paramo garment come out of the washing machine covered in small plasticy sticky balls after reproofing in Nikwax TX direct? Coat was washed in tech wash just prior to re-proofing. The TX direct looked normal consistency. Cared for Paramo stuff the same way for years and never had this happen before? Any advice? Coat is currently a sticky mess….

I assume either the TX has ‘gone off’ (although it is well within its use by date, and has been stored in the kitchen, so has not been frozen), or there was a foreign body in the washing machine (though it was cleaned at 90 degrees with a towel, and pockets were checked, so unlikely).

BadlyWiredDog

I’d have a word with the guys at Nikwax / Paramo on Monday and see what they say. They’re effectively the same company. Or try rewashing it in Tekwash and see if that helps. Not something I’ve ever heard of or experienced, but they may know what’s happened.

garlando

Spoken to a contact at nikwax. Initial suggestion that the machine might have not rinsed through completely from first cycle. However ring them tomorrow and they will be glad to help further.

angeldust
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses. After a further two 90 degree cycles, the sticky plastic balls are still stuck to the drum, so I don’t think it is anything to do with incomplete rinsing (unless the machine wasn’t rinsing at all, which it is). Will contact Paramo/Nikwax tomorrow.

100mphplus
    Free Member

90 Deg, that’s fekin hot!!!

My Paramo says hand or machine wash at 40 Deg and to follow instructions carefully.

wwaswas

90 degree cycles

😯

I suspect the sticky balls are melted jacket – that’s bloomin’ hot.

grizedaleforest

90 degree F maybe? Are you from the US??

spacemonkey

I hand wash mine using soap flakes then apply the proofer. Doesn’t really help you now though. But 90deg 😯

roverpig

Or 90 degrees is a cleaning cycle for the machine not the coat i.e. run the machine on a 90 degree cycle (with a few towels) to clean it out before washing then re-proofing your kit. That’s what I do anyway.

tony07
    Free Member

He’s washing a towel at 90c to clean the machine not his coat.

Edit:beaten to it. As above

johnellison
    Free Member

90F = 32C

But if it is 90C you’re washing it at then it’s probably borked.

I only ever hand-wash mine.

angeldust
    Free Member

Yeah, I can confirm the 90 degree C wash was used to clear the washing machine before the Paramo coat was cleaned/reproofed; and again to try and clear the drum of residue (again, without the coat). This is the recommended method I have used successfully for many years.

Nikwax think it could be a product mixing issue and have offered to sort the garments out for us.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Re-proofing paramo problem’ is closed to new replies.