Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Re-heating risotto
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Am thinking it might make a good camp-meal, but I wonder how well it would re-heat. Just add a bit of water?

bearnecessities

I don’t think you should re-heat rice, which I only discovered here?!

hmanchester
    Free Member

I have risotto reheated for lunch most days. I microwave but of course not an option for you.

Enough moisture to stop it sticking and you’ll be fine!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

reheated rice is one of the biggest causes of food poisoning.

I’d be very careful about carrying it round in a pack all day and then warming it gently before eating.

Lifer
    Free Member

I use a bit of whatever stock I made it with but water will be fine. Only problem I’ve had was reheating bacon and mushroom one, come out tasting of just bacon, which gets a bit bland after a few mouthfuls. Now if I’m making a big batch to save and reheat I’ll just cook the bacon seperate and add it at the end.

bearnecessities

NHS

How does reheated rice cause food poisoning?

Uncooked rice can contain spores of Bacillus cereus, a bacterium that can cause food poisoning. When the rice is cooked, the spores can survive.

If the rice is left standing at room temperature, the spores can grow into bacteria. These bacteria will multiply and may produce toxins (poisons) that cause vomiting or diarrhoea.

The longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that the bacteria or toxins could make the rice unsafe to eat.
    Tips on serving rice safely

Ideally, serve rice as soon as it has been cooked.
    If that isn’t possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within one hour).
    Keep rice in the fridge for no more than one day until reheating.
    When you reheat any rice, always check that the dish is steaming hot all the way through.
    Do not reheat rice more than once.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Reheating rice… brave man!

rob2
    Free Member

I used to reheat kebabs at university. Heaven knows what was in that

unklehomered
    Free Member

ONly reheat rice if its curried i.e. turmuric in it, which is a preservative or somesuch. You’ll probably be fine, probably*

*or you might spend all night projecting your meal and all others from the day from both ends.

binners

Just camp near a chippy

weeksy

wow.. never knew any of that.. i’ve had reheated risotto many many times without any ill effects.

ocrider

Me too. I’m a dab hand at rizotto roulette, although got a case after lunching in a little restaurant in Morocco once (lovely grilled fish, dubious rice)

scotroutes

Think of all those times you’ve blamed a bad pint….

Lifer
    Free Member

Often get 3/4 meals out of a big rissotto. No problem reheating* (and don’t drink at home so no dodgy pint!)

*excepting the overpowering bacon

tomhoward

I don’t think you should re-heat rice, which I only discovered here?!

Same here! Just now!

hmanchester
    Free Member

Looks like I may have a strong stomach.

Either that or some of the above is a wee bit over the top.

Cool it quickly after cooking, 5 days in the fridge, no problem.

br
    Free Member

Often do it, home-made stuff only.

I just add some soya sauce rather than water.

Mainly use a microwave, so blast it.

zilog6128

Don’t know if microwaving it is the key to not getting sick? I too reheat rice regularly after one/two days in the fridge (don’t always get the leftovers in the fridge that quick either). Although if I know I’m not going to eat eat in the next day or so I freeze it.

ononeorange

I have the world’s most sensitive stomach to anything. I reheated some very out of date rice this week and am fine, so I do wonder if that is slightly OTT…..

Spin
    Free Member

I reheated some very out of date rice this week and am fine, so I do wonder if that is slightly OTT…..

Naturally your personal experience supersedes all the other evidence regarding the reheating of rice.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I eat re-heated rice all the time, all you need is a little common sense. Ta for the OT replies, I will give this a go (car-camping wwaswas, will eat after 2hr journey). If I make it that is…I’m currently defrosting some raw chicken to bake, I’ll probably die.

I presume it’s a myth that you have to stir in the stock 5ml at a time and keep stirring it? I’m just gonna bung it all in.

andyl
    Free Member

you could substitute rice with Orzo pasta. Should be a lot safer.

Or just make the risotto from scratch on the camping stove. It’s not a hard dish to make.

spooky_b329

As long as the rice is chilled and properly reheated it should be OK. Its the rice that sits around under the canteen lights all afternoon keeping warm where the problem arises.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

I’ve reheated rice thousands of times and have never been ill, so there!

skeetsgb
    Free Member

in the real world of course you can reheat rice/risotto. nearly every restaurant/hotel will be doing that.

i usually reheat with a bit of stock.(veg/chicken/fish) or you can use council stock if you prefer 😉

hunterst
    Free Member

I once got really ill from re-heating rice a couple of years ago – will never do that again!

It took about 2 hours to kick in and i was retching until the early hours.

Felt really ill all weekend and couldn’t eat anything – lost half a stone in weight over that weekend if i remember correctly and looked like shit come monday morning.

Dont do it – worst i have ever felt!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Re-heating risotto’ is closed to new replies.